Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marks & Spencer thinks we're fools too

• 02-12-2011 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Special Offer
    half price Belgian chocolates 305g

Dublin €6.74
    Newry €5.23 (£4.99)

Only 29% more expensive for the "special offer" :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Eh, what exchange rate are you using?

£4.99 -> €5.23 would indicate a rate of about 0.955p stg to the Euro. It hasn't been there for 2 years.

You would be lucky to get 0.835 (on a credit card purchase) which would bring your £4.99 -> €5.98.

That brings your difference down to less than 13%. Still not parity but a lot less than you assume. ;) Certainly not even worthwhile on a €100 grocery shop. Would it even cover petrol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Pal wrote: »
    Special Offer
    half price Belgian chocolates 305g

Dublin €6.74
    Newry €5.23 (£4.99)

Only 29% more expensive for the "special offer" :eek:

forgetting about the exchange rate error, did you manage to find a 300g box of belgian chocolates for less than €6.74 elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

forgetting about the exchange rate error, did you manage to find a 300g box of belgian chocolates for less than €6.74 elsewhere?

They could try these;

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/shelves/boxed_chocolates_in_tesco.html

The price works out at approx E4.79 for the same weight of chocolates, or he/she might spoil themselves and just buy the full box in Asda @ E5.82 and still save a few cents on M&S dublin prices for a smaller box ! If he/she combined that with a visit to the grocery shelves they could also save a small fortune on his/her groceries in the run up to Christmas, still be supporting the profits of a UK owned business, provide jobs for Irish people and meet some nice friendly, helpfull people too! :D

Ohhh, and I use XE for my exchange rates !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

280special wrote: »

Ohhh, and I use XE for my exchange rates !

yeah, but they quote very favourable rates, often never used by those conducting the financial transactions.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

XE are market rates not bank rates.

Whats the full price of these chocs in both jurisdictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

yeah, but they quote very favourable rates, often never used by those conducting the financial transactions.

Well as an indicative rate they are relatively close and fairly up to date...:D
    Oryx wrote: »
    XE are market rates not bank rates. See above..

Whats the full price of these chocs in both jurisdictions?

The OP mentioned special offers which is what the Asda price is, hence the link to a special offer... The Tesco price appears to be the normal price.

Having checked our local bank's rate board this morning, £4.12 = E4.90 , £5.00 = E5.95.....still a LOT cheaper dont you think ?

The OP had it right !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Naughty, naughty.

They're at it again.

M&S superb "dine for two" sells here for €12.50 and £10.00 in the UK

However, their Chinese takeaway which retails here for €15.00 also sells in the UK for £10.00.

Cheeky chappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Naughty, naughty.

They're at it again.

M&S superb "dine for two" sells here for €12.50 and £10.00 in the UK

However, their Chinese takeaway which retails here for €15.00 also sells in the UK for £10.00.

Cheeky chappies.

AHA !

I knew it.

Nice one Centurion !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Are M&S's costs exactly the same in Ireland as they are in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Are M&S's costs exactly the same in Ireland as they are in the UK?

People don't care.

Its irrelevant if rents, electricity, wages are more in the South than in Northern Ireland, if the prices are not the exact same, it is therefore a rip off.

Its up there with people comparing prices in shops on the street with huge internet companies like Amazon. Amazon is cheaper you say? RIP OFF IRELAND!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Naughty, naughty.

They're at it again.

M&S superb "dine for two" sells here for 12.50 and £10.00 in the UK

However, their Chinese takeaway which retails here for 15.00 also sells in the UK for £10.00.

Cheeky chappies.

Dont forget that Ireland is further away from China than the UK. Therefore it must cost them more in fuel to drive their little bikes to deliver the takeaways to here ;-)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

reprazant wrote: »
    People don't care.

Its irrelevant if rents, electricity, wages are more in the South than in Northern Ireland, if the prices are not the exact same, it is therefore a rip off.

Its up there with people comparing prices in shops on the street with huge internet companies like Amazon. Amazon is cheaper you say? RIP OFF IRELAND!
    I think the point was that two items with the same UK price have different prices here, one being 12.50 and the other 15.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This thread is stupid, The UK is a different country with a different currency and a different market.

Why should a Supermarket with different branches in the UK and Ireland have the same pricing ?

Should I go mental the next time I'm in Penneys or H&M and its more expensive than Ireland ?

Or because German Beer is really expensive here and German beer 30 minutes drive away is half the price ?

Or should the Germans go mental becuase Coffee is twice the price than it is in the Netherlands ?

Or because Diesel is more expensive in Germany than in Holland ?

You guys are making zero sense, go find the best price, rather than moan about how a retailer is 'ripping you off' ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

keithclancy Stick to the topic please. No need for name calling.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dudara wrote: »
    keithclancy Stick to the topic please. No need for name calling.

dudara

Sorry, I forget whats offensive in English sometimes ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

People don't care.

basic schoolboy economics would throw your presumption out of the water in an instant.

I really wish schools would teach business/economics to all students and then we'd have less ridiculous posts such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maxer68 wrote: »
    basic schoolboy economics would throw your presumption out of the water in an instant.

I really wish schools would teach business/economics to all students and then we'd have less ridiculous posts such as this.

I think that he forgot to point out that he was being sarcastic, (or at least I hope that was the case:pac:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that he forgot to point out that he was being sarcastic, (or at least I hope that was the case:pac:).

I thought that the sarcasm was kind of obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought that the sarcasm was kind of obvious.

It was obvious to me, but I can't vouch for everyone else.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Even the difference in wages is substantial. Dunnes starting rate is €9.13. Up North it is £4.92. M&S used to be €9.74, not sure if it still is. Their UK rate is probably around £5 as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement