Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student failed maths

Options
  • 02-12-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone, new to the forum(well, first time posting anyway!). I'm still 22, but I will be 23 before January of 2013, so I can apply as a mature student.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some guidance here. I'm looking into doing computers/software dev next year, and I want to know how having failed maths would affect my application.

I haven't previously been to college so I'm not familiar with how it all works. Should I apply for a fetac course and try to progress to level 7/8 from there?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

If your applying as a mature student your results shouldn't have a bearing seeing that you are assessed more on your personal statement and interview. However I would recommend that between now and then that you could try studying maths in your own time (buy a book or do some online tutorials) so that when it comes to writing your personal statement or interview that you can say that you have been making such and such an effort and it can only help your case if it comes up that you failed maths.
    I remember being hopeless at maths at LC, but for some reason now I just seem to "get it" :confused: must be an age thing, so good luck with making application, wish you well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ElectricEchoes

I had the same problem with math in school. Part was probably attitude and the fact I had no incentive to study for my LC, due to having work lined up abroad through family.

Hopefully all goes well anyway. Thanks for the reply, its reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Your results do have 'some' bearing, especially if it is a subject that is relevant to the course. If you can show that you have the aptitude through other means though, you may still be stronger than other candidates applying.

for example: someone who failed maths, but develops apps or games or does some kind of programming in their spare time would be a likely candidate to get in as a mature student. although they may have messed up the leaving maths they clearly have the ability to excel in this type of course.

They want to fill mature student places with people who are suited to the course, but not necessarily able to show it by traditional points/l.c grade based methods.

Computer programming is logic based - and mathematically gifted people tend to excel at it. So just work on ways to show that you have the aptitude and your l.c maths score is not a true reflection of your abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hollingr is right to be honest. If you sat a Leaving Cert and failed maths, colleges will really want to see some solid evidence of your commitment to improving your grades.
    Maths is seen as such an integral part of many IT/software courses that decent evidence of your ability in this area is very important, especially with the increase in numbers of applicants to these types of courses.

Some FETAC level 5 courses have maths modules which might be of interest. There are also a number of 1 year PLC courses in software, multimedia and networking that would be useful to look at as a starting point. Put 'Software' into the Keywords field and select 'FETAC Level 5 Certificate' in the Award Name field of the Qualifax database(http://www.qualifax.ie) and you will get a list of courses to start your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Apologises for the bad advice :o always thought that once you apply as a mature that it is all based on your life experience / eagerness to commit to the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

-Trek- wrote: »
    Apologises for the bad advice :o always thought that once you apply as a mature that it is all based on your life experience / eagerness to commit to the course.

Don't worry about it. :) It really depends on the course and/or college. For many courses mature students don't need as much in the way of an LC. Life/ work experience counts for more but the IT field is so technical that colleges are keen on seeing evidence of academic ability especially in maths

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kingf1sher

Hi there,

Have you considered applying for an access course to help you to gain entry to the programme you want to get on. I never done a Leaving Cert, but last year completed the Mature Student Access Programme with DIT and managed to secure my first choice course. Basically it prepares students for third level education with 6 core modules (including maths) and 2-4 elected modules, and will stand to you far better than a leaving cert, especially as you will be applying as a mature student.

Here is the link for the DIT course but I`m sure other colleges run a similar type course if you`re not in Dublin.
    http://www.communitylinks.ie/mature-students-access-course/

Best of luck with it which ever way you go, and any questions about the course, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

To be honest software development requires a high level of maths as programming will be your most prominent work area. That said you could do a higher level LC course in maths that would get you in most collages. Software development is all maths and unless you are good at or excel in the subject then maybe its not a choice for you.

Only you can answer those questions...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Software development is all maths and unless you are good at or excel in the subject then maybe its not a choice for you.

Logical reasoning is a lot more important, I don't know why you think it's all maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Kingf1sher wrote: »
    Hi there,

Have you considered applying for an access course to help you to gain entry to the programme you want to get on. I never done a Leaving Cert, but last year completed the Mature Student Access Programme with DIT and managed to secure my first choice course. Basically it prepares students for third level education with 6 core modules (including maths) and 2-4 elected modules, and will stand to you far better than a leaving cert, especially as you will be applying as a mature student.

Here is the link for the DIT course but I`m sure other colleges run a similar type course if you`re not in Dublin.
    http://www.communitylinks.ie/mature-students-access-course/

Best of luck with it which ever way you go, and any questions about the course, just ask.

This is good advice. I did an access course 7 or 8 years ago having failed leaving cert maths and I found it really helpful. I ended up doing very well in the module, and, although I ended up doing an arts degree, I would have had the confidence to go and do a maths-based course if that's what I had really wanted to do.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Opinicus wrote: »
    Logical reasoning is a lot more important, I don't know why you think it's all maths.

I did have a look at the area myself both talking to students collage heads and programmers who work in the area so thats why I guess.

Are you in software development your self ? Maybe you could shead some light on the subject ?

3rd year of a SW Dev degree. There isn't a whole lot of maths as far as I can see. Matrices and some not very difficult algebra, most college courses have a maths module in 1st year anyway that go over concepts you might come across (algebra, trigonometry, matrices, graphs, paths). More emphasis placed on logical reasoning/algorithms.

BUT I suppose it depends what your level of maths is from secondary, OP if you are prepared to put the work in then you should be grand. My college has support services/grinds available for everyone who has problems with a subject, I would imagine most others do also.

3rd year of a SW Dev degree. There isn't a whole lot of maths as far as I can see. Matrices and some not very difficult algebra, most college courses have a maths module in 1st year anyway that go over concepts you might come across (algebra, trigonometry, matrices, graphs, paths). More emphasis placed on logical reasoning/algorithms.

BUT I suppose it depends what your level of maths is from secondary, OP if you are prepared to put the work in then you should be grand. My college has support services/grinds available for everyone who has problems with a subject, I would imagine most others do also.

Ahh ok good stuff did you do leaving cert maths ?

I was under the impression that if you didn't have that it would be difficult baring in mind the OP is quite young well in relation to me anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Just to repeat what some people have said, I wasn't great at maths either at that age, but after slogging through the first few years of college I figured it out. You'll want to have a good enough level of maths to survive the course and come out the other end with a degree.

The ironic thing is everybody says computing is heavily maths based, but in my own experience most real world coders (aka business app programmers as opposed to physic engine coders) will not be doing anything that advanced, its mostly logic and understanding how everything hangs together.

imitation wrote: »
    The ironic thing is everybody says computing is heavily maths based, but in my own experience most real world coders (aka business app programmers as opposed to physic engine coders) will not be doing anything that advanced, its mostly logic and understanding how everything hangs together.

Exactly! Unless you go in the direction of physics, 3D games, graphics etc. you won't need that high a level of maths. Even the math stuff I have had to do for certain things have basically found me finding the formula that I need and just figuring out how to code it in the way that I need.

Ahh ok good stuff did you do leaving cert maths ?

Yeah I did my leaving, did alright but I'm not a math head by any stretch of the imagination :D

OP I started SW dev as a mature student also.

Good stuff Happy Crimbo All.........................

What about doing a fetac course, would anyone advise this?

I'm considering trying for this instead.

In math or programming?

I know two of my classmates did a PLC in programming after secondary in order to get into the course. They did some HTML and some BASIC so they had an understanding of the fundamentals coming into the course.

In math or programming?

I know two of my classmates did a PLC in programming after secondary in order to get into the course. They did some HTML and some BASIC so they had an understanding of the fundamentals coming into the course.

The course I'm looking at has modules of web development, programming and computer architecture along with others.

I have a reasonably good understanding of HTML, CSS and Javascript. Using GIMP/Inkscape to create menus, navigation bars ect.

As for programming. I know the basics of C++. Hoping to get stuck into OpenGL before I go for an interview. Like already mentioned, I know Javascript as well.

Built my own Rig in the summer, which is a hobby for me. Obviously that goes hand in hand with knowing the components.

Just thought I'd give that information as I've been somewhat vague in explaining before and to show that this isn't a notion that occurred overnight. I'll go whatever route I can to get into this or any other course. Doing an extra 1/2 years doesn't bother me as long as I'm learning. Does anyone know the chances of getting into a fetac course or have any advice?

Thanks for all the replies so far, really appreciate it!

Well if you show you have an interest in the area and are motivated then I'm sure that will help. Anything you can do to make yourself stand out from the crowd would be good. Bring in examples of your work, photos of your rig, links to a website if you have one etc.

How many places are on the course out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The course I'm looking at has modules of web development, programming and computer architecture along with others.

I have a reasonably good understanding of HTML, CSS and Javascript. Using GIMP/Inkscape to create menus, navigation bars ect.

As for programming. I know the basics of C++. Hoping to get stuck into OpenGL before I go for an interview. Like already mentioned, I know Javascript as well.

Built my own Rig in the summer, which is a hobby for me. Obviously that goes hand in hand with knowing the components.

Just thought I'd give that information as I've been somewhat vague in explaining before and to show that this isn't a notion that occurred overnight. I'll go whatever route I can to get into this or any other course. Doing an extra 1/2 years doesn't bother me as long as I'm learning. Does anyone know the chances of getting into a fetac course or have any advice?

I think if you convey most of what you've written in the above post in your application, you'll have no problem in getting a place on the FETAC course. :)

I'd contact the colleges and give them a brief outline of what you've done before and ask how you can strengthen your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I would still apply as a mature student instead of going and doing a fetac course first - you've nothing really to lose. In my college they reserve a certain amount of places for mature students this is probably the case everywhere.
    i didn't do well at maths either & didn't need to go for an interview but this would depend on the college & numbers applying i'd imagine. but what you said there is what they'd be looking to hear in interviews & why you want to do the course i think

imo your wasting your time doing fetac if it's only the maths that's bothering you, you'd be able to work at it when your there & you only need to pass which you'd be able to do with a bit of effort. You'll even be ahead of a lot of people programming wise even if it was a different language like java.

also some colleges do access courses which would involve maths & if you pass get a place in one of their courses maybe even courses in different colleges. that might even be a better option that fetac if you don't get in this time

Advertisement