Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will digital radio bought in Ireland work abroad ?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there. A friend is moving to Qatar in Asia in a few months and I was thinking of getting her a digital radio that she could bring with her but am not sure if one that I bought here would work over there. Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ddlong

Also, I haven't a clue how digital radios work so I was wondering how near radio stations would have to be to be able to be picked up on one. Does anyone know ? I'm wondering if a digital radio in Qatar would be able to pick up digital radio stations from other countries (sorry if that is a stupid question !)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hardly anywhere uses digital Radio apart from UK.
    It is a failure in Germany where they are switching to DAB+ and still no-one wants it.
    Roll out in Ireland stalled 5 years ago.

Digital Radio other than Satellite is very limited range.
    Any Digital radio in Qatar would be via satellite Dish, not portable. There used to be World Space Satellite Digital Radio which is transportable. But it closed.

Internet Radio isn't really radio. A netbook and speakers/headphone is best for it.

You need just an Analogue Radio. About €50 with LW/MW/SW and VHF.

Notebook or laptop and Internet access.

So
    1) A Digital Radio bought here is a waste of money here. Coverage and quality is abysmal and the only other place it works probably Uk. Apart from some test transmissions in SE Ireland, the only Digital Radio in Ireland is RTE and is nationwide only on Saorview, not Radio.

2) Most places Digital Radio means using the TV satellite box and fixed Dish to get radio channels.

3) Actual portable Digital Radio is less range than VHF-FM which is local only.

4) For different countries you need Shortwave or Satellite. Or MW after dark. Some places (likely not Qatar) have LW too day & night. I get French & German LW in Limerick.

See http://www.ebay.ie/itm/130392904168
    I don't have one, but it gets good reviews and unlike the FM Radio alarm clocks for €10 to €20 here that claim to be World Radios (and are useless, and poor even on local VHF_FM), the Degen DE1103 is an almost good "world Radio". Digital refers only to ability to display frequency and have memories, not Transmission. It only receives Analogue (AM, USB, CW, FM)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

ddlong wrote: »
    Hi there. A friend is moving to Qatar in Asia in a few months and I was thinking of getting her a digital radio that she could bring with her but am not sure if one that I bought here would work over there. Any ideas ?

Another option is a Smart Phone and Tunein Radio APP and its free, connect via WIFI and you've got the world in your hand.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ddlong

Thanks so much for your replies ! They've been really helpful. Great to have so many knowledgable people on here !:)

Advertisement