Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SAORVIEW ?????

• 02-12-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can someone please explain to me why i cannot get BBC 1 & 2, Channel 4 or UTV on my TV...??

I bought a new flatscreen which says that it has this SAORVIEW built into it! So i am now receiving the 6 channels throught that.

What i cant understand is, Why cant i get the channels through the aerial that previously gave me the BBC's, UTV and CH4???????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

guchhi15 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me why i cannot get BBC 1 & 2, Channel 4 or UTV on my TV...??

I bought a new flatscreen which says that it has this SAORVIEW built into it! So i am now receiving the 6 channels throught that.

What i cant understand is, Why cant i get the channels through the aerial that previously gave me the BBC's, UTV and CH4???????

Do you mean analogue UK channels or Freeview or both? If it's analogue maybe the transmitter you're receiving from has gone through DSO with no more analogue transmission and freeview signal isn't strong enough. Also is Saorview not 7 channels although RTE Jnr and RTE1+1 timeshare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

guchhi15 wrote: »
    Why cant i get the channels through the aerial that previously gave me the BBC's, UTV and CH4???????

Post your location, it's more than likely analogue UK channels you were receiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Scan your channels again and make you you have your TV set up to receive both Digital AND Analogue. If you are only receiving Saorview, it sounds like the TV is set to Digital by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

The channels you are getting on Saorview are Irish and the BBC are UK.the

Whilst this sound obvious enough, the problem comes from the fact that BBC don't transmit in Ireland. You are able to get signal from any of thier masts if you are near enough to them.

The only way around this is to have a twin aerial set up - one pointing at the Irish mast and one at the UK mast (tech problems do exist here with "matching" the signal.

I have yet to find out if the TV I have is compatable with UK signal as in Ireland we use MPEG4 and UK use something different!

If anyone has already doen this - let us all know how it went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Antenna

Digifriendly, no transmitter in NI has had DSO yet. (OP mentions UTV)

Its also likely the poster was receiving them from a TV deflector service - still going in areas of the west of Ireland.

OP, as others have said post your location and what your new TV is (model)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Switch your TV to analogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Antenna wrote: »

Its also likely the poster was receiving them from a TV deflector service - still going in areas of the west of Ireland.

My apologies. You're absolutely right. When you get my age these 'senior moments' get more and more common!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Antenna wrote: »

Just wondeing what DSO is? I thought digital tv didn't require the signal to be as strong as analogue? How come I can receive analogue bbc stations on terestial tv but not digital ones? Will this always be the case that I'll have to use my freesat to get the english stations in digital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

When ASO happens the DTT signals will get a power increace and your UK channels MAY come back (assuming youre not viewing via a deflector)

In the meantime they should still be availale on your sets analoge tuner (assuming it has one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    When ASO happens the DTT signals will get a power increace and your UK channels MAY come back (assuming youre not viewing via a deflector)

In the meantime they should still be availale on your sets analoge tuner (assuming it has one)

Ah ASO is Analogue switch off! And DSO is Digital switch on.. the penny had dropped!

Ah yeah can get them on analogue allright. cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Brougher Mtn. Digital is very low power till ASO. After October 2012 you might get it in parts of Longford, Meath, Donegal, Louth, North Tipperary... Anywhere that a massive aerial and hill top gets Analogue UK from Brougher. Divis is not such low power, but is increasing quite a bit after ASO. There will also be relays/"satellite" fill in transmitters but most of these little use in the Republic.

Deflectors will all be illegal be then no matter that many are now fed by satellite now to get better signals and don't rely on UK Analogue.

Advertisement