Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go to Garda over violent bullying ?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello everybody I have a question regarding serious violent bullying which I cannot find much help answering, so I was hoping I could find help here.

For the past 2 weeks the individual, a 17 but now 18 year old female has been brutally and physically bullied. The bullying comes in two distinct forms.

Firstly on Facebook.

One of the bullies was posting on several peoples pages that the victim was pregnant ( which she is not ) while several of the other bullies were writing to her detailing how they were going to do everything ranging from rather colorfully smashing her face in, to brutally beating her while calling her a random assortment of names

I confronted the individuals on this and they since turned tail and deleted the posts of which I made copies so the proof is there.

Second Physically

On 2 occasions she was violently shoved down a corridor while being taunted by others.

she has been left rather scared and does not want to return to school.

The school have put the matter off repeatedly and said to let it run its course and that it will fix itself.

I am very mad and I wish to know if this matter could be taken up with the Guards or would they simply type it up on their invisible type writer and forget it, and should I contact the local media to inform them of how the unnamed school condones bullying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Board of Management first if the school won't do anything about it, with a call to the Garda also. Leave off the media hype for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ceatharlach

January wrote: »
    Board of Management first if the school won't do anything about it, with a call to the Garda also. Leave off the media hype for now.

Might I add, although I am not racist, many of the main culprits are of Eastern European and African origin. And without actually being told anything upfront it was basically hinted to me that that is the reason why the school are being so relaxed on this issue as they do not want to be branded racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Agree,I wouldn't go to media about this. But if you're not getting satisfaction from principal,your next step is to go to BOM. I would let principal know how dissatisfied you are with his/her handling of the matter,and as a result you feel you have no option but to go over his/her head. I would also contact the gardai and give them copies of everything you have. If these people are 18 they are now adults (well,in the eyes of the law anyway). And the shoving ect is assault. Too often schools are turning a blind eye to this, even though they all have anti bullying policies that should be adhered to. I hope this gets resolved very soon. My heart goes out to this girl.

lip wrote: »
    Agree,I wouldn't go to media about this. But if you're not getting satisfaction from principal,your next step is to go to BOM. I would let principal know how dissatisfied you are with his/her handling of the matter,and as a result you feel you have no option but to go over his/her head. I would also contact the gardai and give them copies of everything you have. If these people are 18 they are now adults (well,in the eyes of the law anyway). And the shoving ect is assault. Too often schools are turning a blind eye to this, even though they all have anti bullying policies that should be adhered to. I hope this gets resolved very soon. My heart goes out to this girl.

Thank you lip is there a certain law I could quote, ie the 1996 law of x y and z that says I have a right to have this matter looked into, if you understand me.

Just read your second post. If that is the case,shame on them. Bullying is bullying whatever race or colour you are. I'm not sure about that,but there must be something. Ask the school for a copy of their bully policy anyway,it may give the principal the kick up the bum that he/she needs. But assault is assault,and thats against the law. I know there was talk about cyber bullying and the law,but don't know if anything was done about it. Try googling it,you might find something.

• Advertisement

lip wrote: »
    Just read your second post. If that is the case,shame on them. Bullying is bullying whatever race or colour you are.

It is indeed true, and it is incredibly infuriating that is why I am afraid the Guards will be exactly the same.

I don't think so,they would be well used to dealing with all nationalities. I would go sooner rather than later though,and bring the girl with you,let her tell her side of the story. And I wouldn't be leaving the station till you get assurance that it is going to be dealt with efficiently and quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The school should have an anti-bullying policy in place. Get a copy of it and go to the board with details of where it is not being followed. The school must follow its own policy at the very least.

It would be worthwhile speaking to the local Garda too - for advice at the very least. If you tell him what you're telling us here they will take it seriously and will most likely speak to the principal also. This is a form of criminal behaviour after all. You could make a formal complaint which must be acted on by the guards but let them guide you in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Go to the Gardai, I had to do this and they were extremely helpful.

As far as I'm aware if someone assualts you then it's the gardai who are there to uphold the law, not schools. You can of course send a letter to the BOM but it's still the gardai that deal with assualts even if it happens in a school. Going to the gardai might help the school to deal with the ongoing problem.

A school can have all the policies it likes but if they're not implemented then they're worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Copy and keep what has been said on F/book, then present it to the school as evidence. I would block those individuals now by the way and report them to Faceb/k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Don't wait for the school to do anything.
    By all means inform the school principal what is happened, and even inform the BOM, but go to the juvenile liaison officer and bring a formal complaint.
    Online or virtual bullying is treated with extreme seriousness by the Gardai.

If I were in this situation I would have absolutely no hesitation in getting the perpetrators charged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rochester wrote: »
    Copy and keep what has been said on F/book, then present it to the school as evidence. I would block those individuals now by the way and report them to Faceb/k.

Absolutely, but before blocking, take screenshots of any Facebook pages and keep a record of any messages sent.
    In our school, the child (or parent) usually gives us (the anti-bullying team) the password to the FB page and we spend a day or two with their consent and knowledge assembling a 'dossier' on the whole incident, before we act on the complaint. We save pages and screenshots and as many messages as we can.

The bullies haven't a leg to stand on when we bring them in with their parents. It's frightening how many parents have absolutely no idea what their kids are up to online, or even how to check.

Advertisement