Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New feature for IE9 Users

Options
  • 02-12-2011 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

So IE 9 on Windows 7 has an interesting feature called "Pinning" which is effectively like atting a shortcut to the site to your Taskbar. However, you can integrate some additional functionallity such as a PM notifier and a link to the Thread of the Day and so on.

So if you're browsing on IE9 (there're about 9% of our visitors on IE9), you'll see the following pop-up along the bottom of your browser:

183472.JPG

You can click and drag the icon onto the taskbar to enable it or you can dismiss it and not be bothered by it again.

Enjoy!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sounds like a cool feature but it'll be a cold day in hell before I return to IE in any shape or form! :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Who are the 9%? :eek:

sorry couldn't resist :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Name and Shame them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

In the recent survey 9% of people clicked the wrong option when asked what browser they used.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

IE is only good for downloading a superior browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

I use IE9

Callipo wrote: »
    I use IE9

Click here then!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Internet Explorer?

lol

/browser elitism

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So we're all on Lynx then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I thought IE9 was good?

IE was only ever sh*t because of the sheer amount of Users it had, every evil hacker out there focused on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Apparently Chrome has overtook Firefox. Give it a year or 2 and IE will be the second browser.

FF used to be hip.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

LOL.

98% of that 9% are probably just spam bots. The remaining 2% are probably grannies. I don't think you should waste too much time facilitating IE users.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

K-9 wrote: »
    Apparently Chrome has overtook Firefox. Give it a year or 2 and IE will be the second browser.

FF used to be hip.

Once it goes niche again it'll be hip I guess. But only FF 2.6 or something obscure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jeez talk about negative Nellys. Don't use it myself(Mac bod*), but looks like a nifty feature ye've implemented. Fair play.

*yes I've used the words bod, nifty and ye've. I'm old, I'm old my feet grow cold.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Once it goes niche again it'll be hip I guess. But only FF 2.6 or something obscure.
    Pfft.

Netscape Navigator 3.0 FTW.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    *yes I've used the words bod, nifty and ye've. I'm old, I'm old my feet grow cold.
    Exactly the type of words that I'd say the average IE user would be familiar with.

I thought IE9 was good?

IE was only ever sh*t because of the sheer amount of Users it had, every evil hacker out there focused on it.
    Try working with HTML5 or CSS3!

Stupid non compliant browser. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Orion wrote: »
    Name and Shame them!

That'd be me. :p

Dav wrote: »
    So if you're browsing on IE9 (there're about 9% of our visitors on IE9), you'll see the following pop-up along the bottom of your browser:

I'm afraid the pop-up's not appearing for me. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't see it either on IE9. I just logged in to test it and am running away back to Chrome now!

I don't see it either on IE9. I just logged in to test it and am running away back to Chrome now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I fondly remember a coder friend of mine teaching himself HTML. A web page of his wouldn't work on IE, so he went to a chat forum to ask what was wrong. He was told he had to introduce errors to code that was perfectly fine so that IE would render his page correctly.

Never mind all the embarrassing security holes.

IE can f*ck off and die in a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I saw the pop-up today and I've pinned it to my taskbar. Really good job lads! Much appreciated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Does it appear everytime you open IE9 and hit the homepage, even after closing out of it without pinning?

aside from that, it looks slick, plyd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I like it. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i like the idea, it's great, but is there any way to have the boards "pinned" site remember my site username and password the same way it does if i open boards in IE9 normally?

the whole idea is that i dont want to have to type in my username and password every time i go on the site, other than that, the tasks on the pinned app are handy, but until either myself or the dev team on boards.ie side figure out a way to save username and password to save me logging in every time, well, i wont be using it... :(

EDIT: i think i see whats happening, each time i close the boards webapp, it clears the session cookies. i use ccleaner to keep boards.ie cookies from the normal website, currently i dont see an way i can control the session and login issues from my end... :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

xsiborg wrote: »
    i like the idea, it's great, but is there any way to have the boards "pinned" site remember my site username and password the same way it does if i open boards in IE9 normally?

the whole idea is that i dont want to have to type in my username and password every time i go on the site, other than that, the tasks on the pinned app are handy, but until either myself or the dev team on boards.ie side figure out a way to save username and password to save me logging in every time, well, i wont be using it... :(

EDIT: i think i see whats happening, each time i close the boards webapp, it clears the session cookies. i use ccleaner to keep boards.ie cookies from the normal website, currently i dont see an way i can control the session and login issues from my end... :(
    +1 its a pain having to log in every time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

I will take a look at the login issue tomorrow when I'm back at a Win7 machine. There's no reason why it shouldn't keep you logged in.

@Lucutus You should be able to dismiss the pop up and it won't appear again. Unfortunately the only way to implement this behaviour is with cookies, so if you clear your cookies you will see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thread needed nicer screenshots:

183994.jpg

183996.jpg

Also, notifications not working, I sent myself a PM; it's unread and nothing happened :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

To give you non-IE junkies a bookmark fix:

http://www.boards.ie/potd

http://www.boards.ie/totd

No prizes for guessing where the links go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Thread needed nicer screenshots:

Also, notifications not working, I sent myself a PM; it's unread and nothing happened :)

PM's work, takes a while, but it works (see screenshot)

curioser and curioser, i closed the normal boards site (without logging out), and opened the IE9 boards webapp, i had to log in, (as expected), BUT, when i closed that, and opened boards as normal in IE9 itself, it SHOULD have kept my login details (remember i have ccleaner set to keep boards.ie cookies), but i had to log in! :confused:

so basically opening the webapp in between normal IE9 sessions, clears the boards.ie cookies, regardless of whatever method you use to keep cookies (i know you can set IE to keep cookies in IE options, but just ccleaner is handier), i might try setting it in IE options to see will it keep the cookies in the webapp, rather than rely on a third party solution, maybe if its configured natively it might work. *fingers crossed*... :o

EDIT:

no joy, even with setting privacy settings for all cookies to always allow (i had set it to only allow site *.boards.ie, no joy there either.
    you can close the webapp, and it retains your notifications, but as soon as you click on for example "you have one reply to your new threads", instead of bringing you straight to your subscribed threads in your user CP (which i assume its supposed to do), it hits you with the login screen, and then once you pass that, it brings you to your user CP... :(

also, i just noticed- is the "HOME" button supposed to be missing from the upper right corner? it has favourites and settings, but no home button... :confused:

boards_screenshoddy.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Just as a point of note. People are stupid (and some would say IE users are even stupider:p) so unless you tell people about the ability to right click on the taskbar icon a good subset will not know you can and thus not see the need in the short cut. So maybe a quick one liner in the link maybe worth while

Advertisement