Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Design in Visual Communications portfolio

Options
  • 02-12-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

The portfolio is due early next year and i'm having trouble with it. Can someone please put it simply... What needs to be done for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Portfolio building can be difficult, and partly why I didn't want to study art...

Do you have a list of requirements, or is it just a case of putting your best work in and hoping for the best? If you're still in secondary school, your art teacher should be able to help you. If not, chance your arm and ask a teacher to help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

Hi *tripsi*

I'm in 4th year of this course. The head Design lecturer runs a Facebook page for the course and put this note up not too long ago:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/design-at-ait/design-at-ait-cao-entry-portfolio-requirements/171836439529299

Incase you're not on the site or can't see it for some reason:
    Portfolio Requirements for AL763 and AL862

The work presented should have been carried out during the past two years and must be the result of your own observations. Reproductions i.e. drawings or paintings copied from magazines, books etc should not be included. Edit your portfolio - demonstrate your ability to be selective. Aim for quality, not quantity.

The portfolio should contain:

A minimum of 10 presentation sheets of Art and Design work, A1 or A2 size.

Drawing:
    Studies in line and tone, based on your immediate environment, including life drawing and still life, in a range of media which reflects the subject matter, should be included. Detailed studies from a variety of views are always relevant.

Visual Enquiry:
    Explorations/investigations of an object or a place through studies in line, tone, shape, form, colour and texture should form part of the portfolio. These studies should be the result of careful observation. A wide range of media should always be considered. Full-size and detailed studies from a variety of views should be included. The use of photography, printmaking and collage is also recommended.

Design-based problem solving projects:
    Include projects demonstrating your ability to solve problems and develop ideas. Projects involving research and analysis, similar to those in the design syllabus of the Leaving Certificate examination, are suitable. Back-up evidence for final pieces of work (the research, analysis, initial sketches and the development of the work) should also be presented.

Sketchbooks:
    Two sketchbooks, showing the visual development of art and design techniques, design thinking and media manipulation which have become finished pieces in your portfolio. The sketchbooks can also contain work that didn’t make the final presentation as an example of your working process. Sketchbooks should reflect your interests and be a collection of visual information from your environment. A variety of media and approaches should be employed.

Photographic examples of three-dimensional work.

If you like you could even drop in to the Design deartment anytime and the lecturers are a sound bunch who I'm sure would have no hesitation answering any questions or giving you a hand with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭*tripsi*

Thank you - Bo -! I read the portfolio requirments and have a few questions.

It says work should be size A1- A2, Does this include Photography and graphic work?

Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

*tripsi* wrote: »

It says work should be size A1- A2, Does this include Photography and graphic work?

Thanks again! :)

When it comes to portfolio guidelines use them as just that, a guideline. They're more or less there so people know what direction to go in.

Back when I was putting mine together (many many moons ago!) Towards end I had a photography shoot done. I didn't go printing out A1 photos though! I just used an A1 sized space in my main body of work to mount photos..I think they were about A4 size on average.

If you are going the way of photos, make sure you get nice prints done. Reads was great for that, cheap and glossy!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭*tripsi*

Ahh! gotcha. I thought the photo's had to be a1-a2!

Is it about showing how good at art you are or is it about idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Usually not, it's moreso your interpretation of themes or ideas and how you construct a piece (eg: poster layout, proportions, light-and-shade, that kind of thing). Also the ability to edit your own work and select the best of what you have is an important skill.

Advertisement