Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should a 13 year old be climbing Everest?

• 02-12-2011 7:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭

I recently saw this article in the news. Apparently a 13 year old California boy, Jordan Romero, is planning to climb Mt. Everest along with his mother and father.

This strikes me as an incredibly bad idea. Everest kills something like 10% of people who climb it. What kind of parents would permit- much less encourage- something with those odds? The effects of a low-oxygen atmosphere on a growing brain are unknown.

Furthermore this shows that an Everest summit is no longer a feat of mountaineering as much as a feat of finance. It encourages more inexperienced and unqualified climbers to try the still-deadly odds.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

''So far, Romero has climbed five of the "seven summits" (each continent's highest peak): Kilimanjaro when he was 10, Elbrus in Russia, Aconcagua in Argentina, McKinley in Alaska and, last year, Carstensz Pyramid in Indonesia. Then there is the fact that his father is a paramedic with a speciality in high-altitude physiology.''

He is experienced as is his parents. I say good luck to him, hope he can do it. safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

four18 wrote: »
    I recently saw this article in the news. Apparently a 13 year old California boy, Jordan Romero, is planning to climb Mt. Everest along with his mother and father.

This strikes me as an incredibly bad idea. Everest kills something like 10% of people who climb it. What kind of parents would permit- much less encourage- something with those odds? The effects of a low-oxygen atmosphere on a growing brain are unknown.

Furthermore this shows that an Everest summit is no longer a feat of mountaineering as much as a feat of finance. It encourages more inexperienced and unqualified climbers to try the still-deadly odds.

What do you think?

No guts no glory -

And it kills like 2% i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

If he's an experienced climber he'd be fitter than most or at least half the guys on here (including myself)

I don't see a problem if he's capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Green

If he was a normal 13 yr old, he would just wait for EA Sports to bring out the game.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They should build an escalator to the top so any old fat tourist could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

The Green wrote: »
    If he was a normal 13 yr old, he would just wait for EA Sports to bring out the game.:)

EA suck! Not a games company for the people.

Down with this sort of thing, or up... considering they'll be climbing the mountain. Or maybe down, because they need to get off it after they've been up it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

This is the sort of negative effect years of watching the sound of music at Christmas time has on a family...the film should be banned.....:mad:

All together now...."Climb every mountain...ford every stream....etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Stuck up a mountain with a moody prepubescent teenager. Poor parents!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

should I give a dam what some yuppies let their kid do.....

no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

i think you should travel back in time and stop him in case it affects his future and maybe also sack your paper boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Mickeroo wrote: »

Fair play to him, great achievement for someone so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Sounds like a damn mexican, i say do it:)

Advertisement