Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed development of a National Surf Lifeguard Training Centre in Tramore

Options
  • 02-12-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I read in the local newspapers that Waterford County Council are proposing to build a National Surf Lifeguard Training Centre in Tramore. The location of the building is said to be somewhere "on the Lower Promenade". Searching the Council's own on-line planning system, I could find no planning application for the proposed development. Further searching of the Council's website shows that they intend to build it under "Part VIII of the Planning & Development Regulations, 2001 - 2011" and that "plans and particulars of the proposed development are available for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, at the following location until Thursday, 22nd of December 2011: Waterford County Council, Civic Offices, Tankfield, Tramore, Co. Waterford, between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 4:00p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays and other days on which the offices are closed."

Why are these plans not available to view at weekends or outside of working hours? Taxpaying members of the public who happen to be in employment between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 4:00p.m. Monday to Friday cannot view the plans of this proposed public-funded development. They have the technology to allow these to be viewed on-line but they're not doing so. Why?

As I understand it, developments that are proposed under "Part VIII of the Planning & Development Regulations, 2001 - 2011" cannot be appealed to An Bórd Pleanala and therefore it is essential that the public have their say at the earlier planning stage, which is now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Did not realise part 8's are not put up on their website, this is very unfortunate if true, and lends to the conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Guramoogah wrote: »
    I read in the local newspapers that Waterford County Council are proposing to build a National Surf Lifeguard Training Centre in Tramore. The location of the building is said to be somewhere "on the Lower Promenade". Searching the Council's own on-line planning system, I could find no planning application for the proposed development. Further searching of the Council's website shows that they intend to build it under "Part VIII of the Planning & Development Regulations, 2001 - 2011" and that "plans and particulars of the proposed development are available for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, at the following location until Thursday, 22nd of December 2011: Waterford County Council, Civic Offices, Tankfield, Tramore, Co. Waterford, between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 4:00p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays and other days on which the offices are closed."

Why are these plans not available to view at weekends or outside of working hours? Taxpaying members of the public who happen to be in employment between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 4:00p.m. Monday to Friday cannot view the plans of this proposed public-funded development. They have the technology to allow these to be viewed on-line but they're not doing so. Why?

As I understand it, developments that are proposed under "Part VIII of the Planning & Development Regulations, 2001 - 2011" cannot be appealed to An Bórd Pleanala and therefore it is essential that the public have their say at the earlier planning stage, which is now.

Give over your complaining FFS!!! Talk to ANY of your public reps and they will give all the copies of plans/details etc that you require. Its as simple as that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Exactly that, talk to the councillors and they should be able to update you fully on it. If any councillor says they don't know, they are not doing their job.

Putting it across the road away from the beach is a major mistake, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

In the interests of transparency in the planning process, all documentation relating to this and any other publicly-funded development should be available on the County Council website, just as all private and commercial planning applications are.

You say that they intend building this across the road away from the beach? That's totally illogical!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Guramoogah wrote: »
    In the interests of transparency in the planning process, all documentation relating to this and any other publicly-funded development should be available on the County Council website, just as all private and commercial planning applications are.

You say that they intend building this across the road away from the beach? That's totally illogical!

I have to say, I agree with the above. Not everybody wants to approach their councilor over this and would prefer to look at it online or pop into the offices in Tramore to have a look at the plans.

It also cant be appealed, if planning is given the go-ahead. Would make the skate park smaller, despite people calling for a bigger one over the years. Having it away from the beach seems crazy but I think Maxine Keoghan (Mayor) said on the radio that there is a possibility that some equipment will be closer to the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sk8brder

I think people are getting a little confused to exactly the purpose of the building. The building is for training. E.G they will store equipment there, shower and changing rooms, relax and hang out.

Its not about beach lifeguarding which is what the lifeguards hut on the promenade is for. On there website they show the plans for the development. It will basically take over the skatepark and its proposed to move the skate park to where the majestic hotel is.

In reality this community based building if you look at the plans for it will eventually become like the T-Bay Surf Club where theres a club element and a commercial element, maybe a shop selling wetsuit equipment or skate equipment since there right beside the skatepark (if the park is to remain). Or maybe another coffee shop. This can be seen as a good addition or a not so good addition.

On behalf of all the current traders near the bottom of the promenade I can say two things a) things are tough for all concerned right now and another commercial operation wouldnt be welcome, therefor if its to stay as non profit and have a couple of conditions put in place e.g no retail and no coffee shop to run from there I think it will make people happier and b) anything that will bring extra people to Tramore should be seen as a benefit.

So, the plans for the development are available on the Tramore Lifeguards website, you say. What is the URL for their website?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sk8brder wrote: »
    I think people are getting a little confused to exactly the purpose of the building. The building is for training. E.G they will store equipment there, shower and changing rooms, relax and hang out.

Its not about beach lifeguarding which is what the lifeguards hut on the promenade is for. On there website they show the plans for the development. It will basically take over the skatepark and its proposed to move the skate park to where the majestic hotel is.

In reality this community based building if you look at the plans for it will eventually become like the T-Bay Surf Club where theres a club element and a commercial element, maybe a shop selling wetsuit equipment or skate equipment since there right beside the skatepark (if the park is to remain). Or maybe another coffee shop. This can be seen as a good addition or a not so good addition.

On behalf of all the current traders near the bottom of the promenade I can say two things a) things are tough for all concerned right now and another commercial operation wouldnt be welcome, therefor if its to stay as non profit and have a couple of conditions put in place e.g no retail and no coffee shop to run from there I think it will make people happier and b) anything that will bring extra people to Tramore should be seen as a benefit.

Cheers, it wasn't explained very well so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 _diarmo

Sully wrote: »
    I have to say, I agree with the above. Not everybody wants to approach their councilor over this and would prefer to look at it online or pop into the offices in Tramore to have a look at the plans.

It also cant be appealed, if planning is given the go-ahead. Would make the skate park smaller, despite people calling for a bigger one over the years. Having it away from the beach seems crazy but I think Maxine Keoghan (Mayor) said on the radio that there is a possibility that some equipment will be closer to the beach.

Having been a lifeguard on Waterford's beaches for the past 4 years It is such a shame to see such negativity being associated for this job again. The proposed building's information is available on both the Tramore Surf lifesaving website:

http://tramoresurflifesaving.com/?cat=3

And the Council website:

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/localauthorities/tramoretowncouncil/latestnews/mainbody,23317,en.html

As I interpret, the building is to act as a training facility for both the Surf lifesaving club and for future lifeguard courses and as a new lifeguard tower for PART of Tramore beach, a facility that does not yet exist in this country,

As for the opinion that it is too far away from the beach, take a look at Dunmore Beach where the lifeguard tower is on top of the hill and used for an information and first aid center while lifeguards directly patrol the waters edge and equipment is kept as close to the waters edge as the tide will allow.

With regards the skate park, from what I hear it is to be moved and will not change in size in any way. And what more suitable place for a first aid facility to be than beside a high risk facility like a skate park!

The views expressed here regarding tbay are absurd, before the cafe was at tbay a privately run surf shop was on the premises. If the space was left vacant then no revenue would be generated from rent and less facilities may be available at the surf centre today and potentially alot less people would use it.

I think that the proposed centre will be great for tramore and wish the organisers the very best of luck with the project. I hope that they do not meet such negativity with the next stages of the building as seems to be expressed here and throughout the town.

"Negativity", _diarmo? On my part, the only "negativity" that I see is towards the Waterford County Council Planning department and their inability to place essential documentation on their website, where it could be inspected in a manner that is not tied to the opening hours of the Civic Offices. The section of their website relating to Planning has no reference whatsoever to this proposed development.

Advertisement