Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stewart Lee playing Ireland in May

• 02-12-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

The greatest Comedian of all time * is playing Cork and Galway in May. I will finally get to see the man in action. Nice

*may not in fact be true

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Yes!!! I've been waiting to see him for ages myself. Still haven't gotten around to see him live so can't wait for this! Two dates in Vicar Street too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Good stuff. Tickets on sale tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Can't wait for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,385 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only heard about this this morning, got tickets for Vicar Street. Can't wait, been on a real Stewart Lee kick lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Does anyone know what material he's touring? Is it all new stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

It would be, he's had a residency in a theatre for the last while workshopping a new show.

Here's a review of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

<snip>
    Charter wrote: »
    Selling Tickets
    -The selling of tickets is prohibited by boards.ie rules. So no-one is to post looking for, or selling tickets. Such posts will be deleted ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Calling all PC brigade operatives ... come in PC brigade... The Red Fox will be visiting the den. Repeat: The Red Fox will be visiting the den.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What?

Bad joke on my part.

My apologies. I think he's an excellent comedian fwiw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Watched '41st Best' again the other night - absolute genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Does anyone know what material he's touring? Is it all new stuff?

This is a tour of new material called "Carpet remnant world". I'd love to see him, I'm a huge fan but can't convert any of my friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Was at it earlier on. Didn't disappoint, absolutely brilliant. As cynical as ever, not really laying on the pseudo intellectual charm as before but he explains why he does that. Was a tough crowd I think though. If anyone knows his act you know that there's certain bits that take forever without laughs all building up to a kick ass climax (Princess Diana for example) but the Irish crowd were an impatient bunch, heckles came in quick and fast (some not even heckles, just people that felt the need to be heard). He was an absolute pro at dealing with them though, so much so I had to consider were these hecklers plants due to his ease of demolishing them. But they obviously weren't, just an absolute professional showing his craft. One of the best, if not the best comedy gigs I've ever been too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Saw him for the third time last night. Still miles ahead of any other comedian out there, a stunningly crafted show.

Some serious idiots in the crowd though who made me a bit tense, cos I was always worried about them ruining the really slow build-up jokes with long pauses (as they did once or twice). His jokes about attracting a new crowd of dicks to his gigs now that he's a bit famous rang very true...
    And yes, he did respond to the interruptions absolutely excellently (something I've never seen him do before) but that made me even MORE tense because I felt that a lot of idiots would see that as a reward that they become *part* of the show, with call-backs etc.

The mindset of the heckler really baffles me. It's like some really arrogant belief that you have something to offer that can *improve* the set of the professional on stage.

I've some friends going tonight, will be interested to hear if it's any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Kooli wrote: »
    The mindset of the heckler really baffles me. It's like some really arrogant belief that you have something to offer that can *improve* the set of the professional on stage.

I know, it's infurriating. I always thought it was an older generation thing that would die out but I see it with younger people all the time with the same response of 'Ah it's part of the act isn't it?'. As much a part of the act as diving is part of football, díckheads! Ah well, Stew absolutely nailed them perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

Great show, he was in top form. I felt the first half was slightly better.

Hecklers....
    I was up front with a few of Stu's diehard fans behind me. They insisted on shouting up with some comments, "arse rats" or some ****. He just balnked them every time. But it was ahead wrecker.

Loved the comment on Dublin or Ireland. "a cross between Fairytown and East Germany"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

cb102 wrote: »
    Great show, he was in top form. I felt the first half was slightly better.

Hecklers....
    I was up front with a few of Stu's diehard fans behind me. They insisted on shouting up with some comments, "arse rats" or some ****. He just balnked them every time. But it was ahead wrecker.

Loved the comment on Dublin or Ireland. "a cross between Fairytown and East Germany"

I was just behind those lads. They were mainly the ones that were making me so tense! I really didn't get the impression they were diehard fans - were they? The bit they laughed at the hardest was the bit where he pretended to be a really crude american comedian ("make me a sandwich" etc.) and they just seemed determined to get his attention or get a mention.

And I agree, much preferred the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

Kooli wrote: »
    I was just behind those lads. They were mainly the ones that were making me so tense! I really didn't get the impression they were diehard fans - were they? The bit they laughed at the hardest was the bit where he pretended to be a really crude american comedian ("make me a sandwich" etc.) and they just seemed determined to get his attention or get a mention.

And I agree, much preferred the first half.

Yeah, I think they were big fans are I just got the feeling they knew a lot routines. Makes the heckling even more baffling! When the show ended one nipped out (the metal one :) )to be first on the queue of the book signing.

Good to see him meeting his fans though, nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

cb102 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they were big fans are I just got the feeling they knew a lot routines. Makes the heckling even more baffling! When the show ended one nipped out (the metal one :) )to be first on the queue of the book signing.

Good to see him meeting his fans though, nice touch.

I think the attitude with people like that is, "We've been into him for AGES... let's let Stewart know that by shouting out bits from his other shows at him. We'll show everyone how into him we are by being loud and obnoxious."

They can f*ck right off so they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

I was at the Friday show tonight and thankfully no hecklers whatsoever. One guy shouted how his dad was gaddafi which although wasn't funny he didn't interrupt the show to much and we could all move on fairly quickly. Have to say it was easily one of the best stand up performances that I've been to and thought it was amazing from start to finish. I especially loved
    the comment about Bill Hicks being considered a legendary performer as now that he's dead he only has to be judged on the 2 hours of material he put together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Stewart Lee was brilliant last night, terrific show. I have never seen him before in a full show, kept missing him for one reason or another, but I am so glad I went in last night. Great stuff. The way he put down the Gadaffi heckler was genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Amazing show. My first Lee gig. I've seen his live DVDS and thought they got progressively better each year. This show is no exception, can't wait for the DVD now. "My dad's dead, he's Col. Gaddafi." This was so unfunny, and shamed all who were unfortunate enough to hear it. Lee's response was genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

niallk wrote: »
    Lee's response was genius.

for those of us who didn't see the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

RGDATA! wrote: »
    for those of us who didn't see the show?

It came at a point in the show when Lee was giving out about Russell Kane's show about his dead father. Lee was basically saying that no one cares about your dead dad or something. The "heckler" "heckled" his piss-poor unfunny "heckle". Lee feigned an emotional response about the fact that a lot of people in the room had dead fathers including himself. Pointed out that Gaddafi's son was dead and that he must be a ghost iirc. Went on to suggest that what the heckler had said was worse than anything any comedian has ever said. The fact that it blended so seamlessly into his next part of the show when he became sullen and upset, made me think the guy was a plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

niallk wrote: »
    It came at a point in the show when Lee was giving out about Russell Kane's show about his dead father. Lee was basically saying that no one cares about your dead dad or something. The "heckler" "heckled" his piss-poor unfunny "heckle". Lee feigned an emotional response about the fact that a lot of people in the room had dead fathers including himself. Pointed out that Gaddafi's son was dead and that he must be a ghost iirc. Went on to suggest that what the heckler had said was worse than anything any comedian has ever said. The fact that it blended so seamlessly into his next part of the show when he became sullen and upset, made me think the guy was a plant.

he gives out about other comedians a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Saw the Galway show. Brilliant gig except for all the monkeys stomping in and out of the hall. Total lack of respect for the performer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Saw him in the Cork ("a cross between a medieval citadel and a shopping centre") Opera House last night. My third time seeing him, but first outside of Edinburgh, so a lot longer than I'm used to. Absolutely brilliant show.

If I twitted, I'd put something rude about him, maybe get into the next tour :)

Advertisement