Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop a puppy humping your leg!!

• 02-12-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'd appreciate any advice on this.
    My puppy is only 10 weeks old but today he started trying to hump my leg. I told him "No" firmly and moved him away and he tried to do it a few more times since. He seems to have stopped now but I want to nip it in the bud if I can.
    I'll probably get him neutered after christmas when I get a few quid together and I know this should hopefully sort it. But is there anything I can do in the meantime other than just stopping him everytime he does it? I just don't want him doing it to strangers and other family members over christmas!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

My dog Buddy never actually done this to me or my OH but I think the reason for this is because he had a teddy "girlfriend" when he was going through that phase!!

This would be my suggestion for helping that problem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would just distract him and not make an issue of it - he's only 10 weeks old so doesn't know why he's doing it. Is he being socilaised with other dogs yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

tk123 wrote: »
    I would just distract him and not make an issue of it - he's only 10 weeks old so doesn't know why he's doing it. Is he being socilaised with other dogs yet?
    Thanks for the reply.
    No he hasn't came into contact with any other dogs yet. He's just gotten his last vaccination and won't be allowed outside until tomorrow. He's tried it a couple more times since, but I've just told him no and distracted him with something else and it's working well at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Once he starts playing with other dogs they'll soon tell him whats acceptable and what's not! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Don't be afraid to give a quick pinch on the back of his neck to correct him, thats how his mum or dad would correct him, and he will respond to that.

Just remember it's a quick pinch, not a grab, not hold, but a pinch, and repeat until he submits, which given his age won't be more than a day at most. Once the rule is made that he cannot ever do that without your permission, that will remain the rule until you change it.

The same goes for potty training, commands, and social situations, you can teach him alot, and set the rules, and it doesn't hurt him at all.

The pinch just reminds him whos boss, but if your not comfortable with this you can continue distraction, but he will still assume he is the boss until he is de-throned. In my experience its best to set yourself up as "pack leader" asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't pinch the pup, just ignore him puppies hate being ignored. It'll pass anyway usually once they're neutered. Alternatively maybe give him a teddy, our Pap is neutered but still humps his poor teddy but it's better than humping someones leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Don't pinch the pup, just ignore him puppies hate being ignored. It'll pass anyway usually once they're neutered. Alternatively maybe give him a teddy, our Pap is neutered but still humps his poor teddy but it's better than humping someones leg.

+1, Please don't 'pinch' him, that's so uneccessary, you just don't acknowledge any behaviour you don't like/want to encourage, sounds like you're doing the right thing anyways and it will pass, I know what you mean it could be embarassing if he does it to visitors over Christmas but it's not the end of the world, just tell the visitor to ignore/distract, whatever you do, keep it consistent.

Pinch, sheesh.....!!

Advertisement