Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room

Options
  • 02-12-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

HI, im renting a room with the last 2 years approx, the rent up to lately was 230e per month now the land lord wants 275e per month. i only use the place once a week when working nights at the most twice a week an odd time. electricity isn't really used or anything else really, do ye think its a bit much, btw its near a fairly large town,
    thanks L.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

You may only be using the room one or two nights a week but the option is there to use it 7 nights a week. Furthermore, the landlord cannot rent the room to someone else the nights you don't use it. If I go on a month's holidays, I still have to pay for my one bed flat - just because I'm not using it doesn't exempt me from paying the rent.

If you think that the rent increase is too much - talk with your feet and find another place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shangoes

+1 what odds_on said, very reasonable. The alternative is a B&B or similar, any more than 5 nights a month and that works out more expensive I'd say! Rent seems to have gone up in Dublin also, I think it's just that a lot are holding off on buying, driving up demand and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

i also meant to say that he wants me to go halves on all bills there are only 2 of us in the house L.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I had a similar issue before with a housemate who was hardly ever there and expected not to have to pay an equal share of the bills.
    There's no grey area, you are either renting the room or you're not, and if you are, you are liable to pay the full rent and an equal share of all the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

if your belongings are in the room the seven days of the week, and you rented the room long term, then you are there full time, as far as landlord is concerned,
    the alternative would be to go for hostel, or bed and breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

thanks i just wanted to know the score on both sides, would be like, i think he's going to have to get another guy to pay half his mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Lab man, are you renting the room as a lodger? Is the landlord living there? A live-in landlord might well prefer a lodger who isn't around much to one who's there all the time, and therefore charge you fixed amount for bills rather than going halves.

But if the landlord is short of the readies (with taxes rising and mortgages having gone up), he might need to have a greater contribution no matter what he'd prefer.

Of course, I'm just guessing by you saying you're renting a room that you might be a lodger.

Advertisement