Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing UCC student

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

How come this wasent on the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I dont want to sound insensitive but he is not missing long enough for this to be a dedicated story on the national news. Unfortunate as that sounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hogzy wrote: »
    I dont want to sound insensitive but he is not missing long enough for this to be a dedicated story on the national news. Unfortunate as that sounds.

It was mentioned on Saturday afaik

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1203/missing.html

It was mentioned on Saturday afaik

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1203/missing.html

Yeah it got a mention but that was it. And it was mixed with the other teenager who is missing.

Unfortunatly people go missing very frequently. A guy was missing for 4 days in Dublin and was found safe yesterday. So maybe that is putting the papers/TV from running the story more.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

It says in today's Irish Mail on Sunday that his body was found in the river, I'm pretty sure it's a mistake though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

dog_pig wrote: »
    It says in today's Irish Mail on Sunday that his body was found in the river, I'm pretty sure it's a mistake though.

Probably not his body, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one pulled from the river, given the high number pulled from there in the last 2 weeks

oh right , was just wondering

Yeah it got a mention but that was it. And it was mixed with the other teenager who is missing.

Unfortunatly people go missing very frequently. A guy was missing for 4 days in Dublin and was found safe yesterday. So maybe that is putting the papers/TV from running the story more.

Very very frequently, and a lot are not found. Relation of mine was involved in a missing persons campaign last year, which is continuing this year, and funding is so little for those organisations. I was looking for a link to their calendar, and found this article, which mentions that over 8000 people per year go missing, with over 100 cases unsolved per year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Twas mentioned on TG4 today aswell

Twas mentioned on TG4 today aswell

i ment RTE news dont watch TG4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

dog_pig wrote: »
    I believe that was the body of a man from Balincollig.
    Sickening how they had a piece with the wrong information but sure hey what's new:rolleyes:

I believe that was the body of a man from Balincollig.
    Sickening how they had a piece with the wrong information but sure hey what's new:rolleyes:

He was found on Wednesday or Thursday iirc

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't want to cause offense, so don't attack me, I hope this fellah turns up safe and sound but:

Why was the "missing" notice put up SO early? the first reports came up online less then 24 hours after he was "missing".

Who came up with the conclusion hes missing, who's to say hes not gone somewhere for the weekend on the sly, wanted to be alone etc?

I'm just saying, a lad in college, its hardly crazy for him to go a few days without contact with anyone?!

Thats moot now though seeing as he is clearly missing now.
    It may be normal for you not to contact anyone for a few days and go away but it wouldnt be for me. If i went on a night out and hadnt been seen for a few days, hadnt contacted my parents (whom i live with) or my girlfriend it would be quite clear that something was up. I am assuming it is the same for Caolan.

I don't want to cause offense, so don't attack me, I hope this fellah turns up safe and sound but:

Why was the "missing" notice put up SO early? the first reports came up online less then 24 hours after he was "missing".

Who came up with the conclusion hes missing, who's to say hes not gone somewhere for the weekend on the sly, wanted to be alone etc?

I'm just saying, a lad in college, its hardly crazy for him to go a few days without contact with anyone?!

Fair question, but I reckon people closer to the lad would know the type of person that he is - it was friends of his that raised the alarm, around 20 hours after they last saw him, which depending on the person is a short enough time for people not to be communicating with others. He could be the type of person not to miss a lecture, which would seem wrong to people close to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Ha been brought up before on the FB page.Going by what was said they don't think he was the type of lad to do this to his family or friends. I hope it is the case but it's very worrying at this stage unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

People can be unpredictable though.

I'm not saying theres no need for concern, just maybe its a little pre-mature for the level of coverage this has gotten, and the weekends not even over.

Hope he turns up in any case.

I suppose when it's one of your own, you panic and do what you can to help.

and +1 to the unpredictableness. You just never know whats going through a persons head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There was a woman pulled from the river near the Julia ferry tonight. WTF is going on ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's three this week in Cork alone though. I really hope Caolan isn't number 4.

Owen wrote: »
    There was a woman pulled from the river near the Julia ferry tonight. WTF is going on ...

Alive though, thank god.

Owen wrote: »
    That's three this week in Cork alone though. I really hope Caolan isn't number 4.

3? I've only heard of 2! The guy in Ballincollig and the woman pulled out alive this evening. I know someone jumped in Tues or Wed but wasn't that the guy whos body was found in Ballincollig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lusaka

3? I've only heard of 2! The guy in Ballincollig and the woman pulled out alive this evening. I know someone jumped in Tues or Wed but wasn't that the guy whos body was found in Ballincollig?

ya its crazy alright. there was actually two bodies taken out in ballincollig. the man in his 60s and a woman also, in her 40s. there was a body of a woman removed from the river by the church of the holy trinity about a week and a haalf ago aswell (maybe 2 weeks ago) i saw it happen. i also happened to see the woman tonight as I was in town. To be fair to the rescue teams it was 3 degrees celsius in my car thermometer when two rescue guys swam out to save her and the current was relatively strong. tough job and fair play to them.

lusaka wrote: »
    ya its crazy alright. there was actually two bodies taken out in ballincollig. the man in his 60s and a woman also, in her 40s. there was a body of a woman removed from the river by the church of the holy trinity about a week and a haalf ago aswell (maybe 2 weeks ago) i saw it happen. i also happened to see the woman tonight as I was in town. To be fair to the rescue teams it was 3 degrees celsius in my car thermometer when two rescue guys swam out to save her and the current was relatively strong. tough job and fair play to them.

Well fingers crossed Caolan wont be another.

Sounds like these search and rescue teams are having a rough time atm. These guys deserve a medal and a badge of honour for what they do on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

There was a body pulled out from the docks as well earlier this week.

I used to do a lot of voluntary diving in the Lee in the nineties doing this type of work (before the Navy and Civil Defence became more involved and structured ) and it's scary how regular it is, particularly in the winter months.

There's a few 'regular' spots where bodies are found, usually dependent on where they went in to the water. If he has unfortunately ended up in the water then it may be a little early at this stage for him to surface. If anybody here is in around town keep an eye around Parliament Bridge, particularly at low water. The weir there creates an eddy that pushes bodies to the side and either into the corners by the Bridge or under the wharfs along Georges Quay. At the moment speculation would seem to be that if he did go in then it was upriver of this spot.
    At the moment there's no definite indication of where this poor young fella might have gone. Hopefully tomorrow will tell more, with businesses in the area opening and Students etc returning from a weekend away. I still feel that there's a possibility that he may have lay down somewhere and fallen asleep, only to succumb to hypothermia on what was a very cold night. The presence of more people tomorrow going about their everyday lives may reveal something.
    My thoughts are with his family at what is a terrible time for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

The reason alarms were raised so early is that he was meant to be going home to stay at a friends house that night and the friend couldn't find him. He didn't show up to college either that morning and no one had seen him since the night before.

I don't feel he was that drunk even from what I remember of him that night and I, unfortunately, have the feeling that theres something more sinister at play than him going walkabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

I would really appeal to someone to close this thread now. Idle speculations are irrelevant, unhelpful and potentially harmful. I realise people don't mean harm but allowing people to discuss such a sensitive issue from a position of total ignorance makes me seriously wonder about the benefits of fora like this.

http://soundcloud.com/pj-coogan/0512-eugene-mulrooney-with

Link to soundcloud and the interview with Caolans father on 96fm. They say to focus the search towards Barrack St, Fort St, Green St, Kevin St, Tower St Evergreen Road and Quaker St.

Edit... Add Douglas St and Abbey St to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Anybody know if the SU are heading out tonight again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sallyanne2

dodger50 wrote: »
    I would really appeal to someone to close this thread now. Idle speculations are irrelevant, unhelpful and potentially harmful. I realise people don't mean harm but allowing people to discuss such a sensitive issue from a position of total ignorance makes me seriously wonder about the benefits of fora like this.

Nobody has said anything on this forum to cause offense to anyone. We are all upset about this young man's disappearance and discussing it can help alleviate the anxiety, no harm in that at all. If this story is not being reported in the papers then how is anyone going to know whether he is found or not or even what is happening. I am praying for the safety of this man as I am sure others are too and it helps me to read about him and to find out what is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sallyanne2

magicianz wrote: »
    The reason alarms were raised so early is that he was meant to be going home to stay at a friends house that night and the friend couldn't find him. He didn't show up to college either that morning and no one had seen him since the night before.

I don't feel he was that drunk even from what I remember of him that night and I, unfortunately, have the feeling that theres something more sinister at play than him going walkabout.

I am sure his friend phoned him that night on his mobile to find out where exactly he was, so how come he couldn't find him........just wondering that's all. Was his mobile turned off? Was he trying to make his way to his friend's house and didn't know the way? If we knew more about the case we might be able to understand it all better and maybe come up with better ideas as to where he might have got to. I sure hope this story breaks for the better soon. It is a terrible situation for anyone to have to endure.

• Advertisement

dodger50 wrote: »

You're perfectly welcome to close your browser and not read this thread if you are being offended by it. Like the poster above me has said there has not been any malicious talk at all in this thread. Boards.ie is a discussion forum. This thread is a perfectly reasonable discussion. The more publicity the situation gets the more it will help the search. The more people who are talking about it the better. If this thread were to close people would think the search has ended and they will push Caolan to the back of their minds. That will be in NO WAY helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement