Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing UCC student

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Owen wrote: »
    That's three this week in Cork alone though. I really hope Caolan isn't number 4.
    There was a body pulled out from the docks as well earlier this week.

I used to do a lot of voluntary diving in the Lee in the nineties doing this type of work (before the Navy and Civil Defence became more involved and structured ) and it's scary how regular it is, particularly in the winter months.

There's a few 'regular' spots where bodies are found, usually dependent on where they went in to the water. If he has unfortunately ended up in the water then it may be a little early at this stage for him to surface. If anybody here is in around town keep an eye around Parliament Bridge, particularly at low water. The weir there creates an eddy that pushes bodies to the side and either into the corners by the Bridge or under the wharfs along Georges Quay. At the moment speculation would seem to be that if he did go in then it was upriver of this spot.
    At the moment there's no definite indication of where this poor young fella might have gone. Hopefully tomorrow will tell more, with businesses in the area opening and Students etc returning from a weekend away. I still feel that there's a possibility that he may have lay down somewhere and fallen asleep, only to succumb to hypothermia on what was a very cold night. The presence of more people tomorrow going about their everyday lives may reveal something.
    My thoughts are with his family at what is a terrible time for them.

10 bodies in the last two weeks have been pulled in the last two weeks from the Lee as of Saturday. The only thing is that people are being found, which is a huge relief to their families. Thanks for mentioning thiose bridges, hope people will keep a look out. Over 8000 people go missing per year, and there are always over 100 people who are never found per year.
    dodger50 wrote: »
    I would really appeal to someone to close this thread now. Idle speculations are irrelevant, unhelpful and potentially harmful. I realise people don't mean harm but allowing people to discuss such a sensitive issue from a position of total ignorance makes me seriously wonder about the benefits of fora like this.

dodger, I don't feel that the thread should be closed. It is keeping the issue at the forefront of people's minds. There is no one here that is being insensitive - I don't feel that there are idle speculations, I know anything that I've posted is fact. I also feel that the posters are not posting from a position of ignorance and I do now see how these posts are harmful. It is raising the issue, and any updates are being put here, where former UCC students and other members of the forum can see where to look. I honestly don't think that there is one person on here that has not been involved, directly or indirectly in something like we have been speaking about. Coming from the position that I am in, I've a brother who did a YSI project on missing persons, and it has opened my eyes - they get very little funding, and there are so many people going missing every day. There are so many people who go missing and their bodies are never found - there is no closure for their families.

Its threads like this that ensure that people don't forget about missing people like Caolan - its been covered all it has been on the news, not sure about the radio, but its not going to stay there long. I hope for the sake of his parents and family that he is found - if his body is found, it is a sad situation for everyone involved, but its much worse for the family if he is not found

To those people who are out searching, keep it up, if people are in a position to get out for an hour or two to look, then look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

http://soundcloud.com/pj-coogan/0512-eugene-mulrooney-with

Link to soundcloud and the interview with Caolans father on 96fm. They say to focus the search towards Barrack St, Fort St, Green St, Kevin St, Tower St Evergreen Road and Quaker St.

Edit... Add Douglas St and Abbey St to that list.

If anyone can spare a few minutes and lives around the area it would be much appreciated if you could have a look around, keeping your eyes peeled for that LG Cookie phone and anything else. The turn out for searches has been great in fairness, let's keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    If anyone can spare a few minutes and lives around the area it would be much appreciated if you could have a look around, keeping your eyes peeled for that LG Cookie phone and anything else. The turn out for searches has been great in fairness, let's keep it going.

It would be fantastic, there are so many laneways everywhere around there that its hard to check them all. Just in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, they're also looking for his mobile phone, it is an LG Cookie, touchscreen phone, black. Last cell it was traced to was in the area around the cathedral, barracks street, college road, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

i feel so bad that im not able to help in anyway is there anything i can do? i live in sligo

i feel so bad that im not able to help in anyway is there anything i can do? i live in sligo

Tweet about it using hash tags #FindCaolanMulrooney, share any links and status' about it on facebook, anything to get his name and face out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

magicianz wrote: »
    Tweet about it using hash tags #FindCaolanMulrooney, share any links and status' about it on facebook, anything to get his name and face out there :)

cheers will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Fair play to the few hundred people that turned up tonight to canvass the whole area door to door with fliers. It really gives you a bit of faith in humanity again when you see so many people, most who probably don't even know the guy out in such crappy weather giving up study time and people even taking time off work to help out.

Kudos folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

I'm going to say something that may not have been mentioned and that many people may find offensive. This is an honest opinion and I will stand by it.
    I understand that this is a very sensitive issue and I honestly can't imagine how his family and friends are feeling. Kudos to all of you who are out searching and I sincerely hope you find him.
    The problem is that as soon as I heard he went missing I thought "another year, and another student drinks to excess." If the worst comes to pass well then, nothing will be mentioned about the circumstances leading up to it.
    I may be utterly wrong and if so I welcome being corrected in the assumption that he had been drinking, but if people were taught to drink responsibly, this would not happen. We need to look at how we are responding to this incident. He drank, and honestly if you do not have the control to drink responsibly, then you should not drink. It is his loss of control and the peer pressure mentality of students that has led to this sorry turn of events.

Sorrowfully,
    Blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I'm going to say something that may not have been mentioned and that many people may find offensive. This is an honest opinion and I will stand by it.
    I understand that this is a very sensitive issue and I honestly can't imagine how his family and friends are feeling. Kudos to all of you who are out searching and I sincerely hope you find him.
    The problem is that as soon as I heard he went missing I thought "another year, and another student drinks to excess." If the worst comes to pass well then, nothing will be mentioned about the circumstances leading up to it.
    I may be utterly wrong and if so I welcome being corrected in the assumption that he had been drinking, but if people were taught to drink responsibly, this would not happen. We need to look at how we are responding to this incident. He drank, and honestly if you do not have the control to drink responsibly, then you should not drink. It is his loss of control and the peer pressure mentality of students that has led to this sorry turn of events.

Sorrowfully,
    Blue

You are right...it is offensive. His parents dont need to read that. Just because he was out does NOT mean he was drinking heavily. If I were you I'd edit your post. This is not the sorta crap and bullsh*t people need to read at times like this. When he's found, then fine. Talk about about students and drinking levels. But for now, just keep that sort of opinion to yourself until an answer has been found to what has happened.

Apologies if I have caused any offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

SeraphicBlue, I'm agreeing with IHeartChemistry. The important thing now is not if he was drinking, or how much, but what exactly happened three nights ago that we are in this situation praying that he is found safe and well soon. If you have an issue over student abuse of alcohol then start another thread - but this is not the place to discuss it. If you were in the position of a missing friend or family member you know that this kind of thing would not be of help to you in a time of distress - by admission of your thought that it would offend you should have known that it was not appropriate for here. This is a discussion forum but there is a time and a place for such discussion and emotion is rather raw at the moment on the topic.

The focus is to keep looking until he is found. Not on anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

You are right...it is offensive. His parents dont need to read that. Just because he was out does NOT mean he was drinking heavily. If I were you I'd edit your post. This is not the sorta crap and bullsh*t people need to read at times like this. When he's found, then fine. Talk about about students and drinking levels. But for now, just keep that sort of opinion to yourself until an answer has been found to what has happened.

Apologies if I have caused any offence.

No offense taken at all. If you will reread, I did mention that if he was not drinking heavily I will accept that correction. I also think that now is in fact the opportune time to talk about this, it is fresh in peoples' minds. I am not afraid of offending people, indeed I am hoping to make people think. Respect should be shown for worry and/or grief but we should not insulate ourselves from the realities of the situation. It is our responsibility as people to look at all the facts pertaining to a situation and accept even the facts that we do not wish to see. I am fully aware I am working with incomplete facts here and I welcome someone who could provide a full picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Honestly, I have heard that he is not a big drinker. I know that's hearsay or whatever, but he was very good friends with people I'm friends with, so I would consider there to be some truth in it.

Absolutely, lots of students drink to excess and some with terrible consequences, but I honestly think in this particular case, it comes down to not leaving your friends anywhere by themselves on a night out. Watch out for eachother and never leave anyone wander off by themselves, or get lost in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Absolutely, lots of students drink to excess and some with terrible consequences, but I honestly think in this particular case, it comes down to not leaving your friends anywhere by themselves on a night out. Watch out for eachother and never leave anyone wander off by themselves, or get lost in the crowd.

I really hope he is found safe and well. I can't imagine how his family are feeling :-(

I have to agree with meehan. Its so important to look out for each other on nights out, especially where alcohol is involved and particularly in the case of students in earlier years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

No offense taken at all. If you will reread, I did mention that if he was not drinking heavily I will accept that correction. I also think that now is in fact the opportune time to talk about this, it is fresh in peoples' minds. I am not afraid of offending people, indeed I am hoping to make people think. Respect should be shown for worry and/or grief but we should not insulate ourselves from the realities of the situation. It is our responsibility as people to look at all the facts pertaining to a situation and accept even the facts that we do not wish to see. I am fully aware I am working with incomplete facts here and I welcome someone who could provide a full picture.

...could you please hush then until we have all the facts, rather then gracelessly push your own agenda and make worthless allegations about a complete stranger? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

In these threads there is always someone who comes in and tries to raise awareness about such and such a thing, it is not helpful and only causes more pain to the family and friends. It's easy for you to type all this, it's not your family.

I don't know Caolan, but there is a good chance I have served him before as I run the Gallows, which makes this really hit home, there was a student in yesterday and we put up some posters in and around the bar, unfortunately our CCTV was not working at the times needed which is of huge regret to me.

Just as an aside, being a local business, any students/volunteers who are doing searches around the area and are feeling the cold and need a break you are more than welcome to call in for a free cup of tea or coffee to refuel. I sincerely hope Caolan is found safe and well, I have already asked my customers to be vigilant and keep an eye out for any useful information. When all else is gone, hope is all we have left. Hope you get home safe buddy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sallyanne2

I am fully aware I am working with incomplete facts here and I welcome someone who could provide a full picture.

We are never given the full facts in any of these cases and are just left to form our own opinions. I cannot understand how a young man can get lost, turn up a wrong street and then disappear. He has to be somewhere. Lots of young students drink but they always manage to get home safely. Why didn't he answer his phone when his friends tried to locate him. Was his phone turned off, did it ring out? Why are we never told the full facts. Did this young man have any problems at all? Is there more to this than meets the eye? The missing man from Dublin was found after a week, but we were never told where or what the circumstances were, so hopefully Caolan will be found too. It is so heartbreaking.

I will tell you right now that he was not drinking heavily that night at all, and that he was in a good mood the last time I saw him that night.

While I agree with the ideal behind what you are saying, Seraphicblue, your timing could not be worse. If you want to raise awareness then fantastic, good on ya, but it is not something for this thread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

PJ Coogan's just tweeted that a body has been found in a yard between Evergreen Street and Douglas Street, it hasn't been identified yet. Here's hoping it isn't Caolan.

Owen wrote: »
    PJ Coogan's just tweeted that a body has been found in a yard between Evergreen Street and Douglas Street, it hasn't been identified yet. Here's hoping it isn't Caolan.

It's all over 96fm apparently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

They were talking to PJ coogan there live. It was a yard just next to the off licience by and cruiscín lan, by the motorbike repair place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Not looking good so. Hopefully it wont be him.

Suppose we just have to sit tight and wait. No more speculations either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

People should have more respect for the family. Loads of comments saying RIP ETC...If they read the reports properly they would realise that he hasnt been identified yet..Thats the leadt they could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Very sad news. Hopefully we get some truth and facts soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

They were talking to PJ coogan there live. It was a yard just next to the off licience by and cruiscín lan, by the motorbike repair place.

Christ. That's just a few doors up from me.

Byron85 wrote: »
    Christ. That's just a few doors up from me.

Are there many around there now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Connorzee wrote: »
    Are there many around there now?

I don't know and i'm not one to rubberneck, well not too much, but especially now. Plus, i'm still in bed.

• Advertisement

Hate to be inconsiderate here...but has anyone heard anything about his phone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement