Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals, Plants and the Weather, Natures Signs :MOD note 121

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Fineout wrote: »
    A flock of Redwings have just arrived to my field this morning. They always come about two weeks ahead of very cold weather. Last winter they arrived in November 2010 - so they awful late this winter. Delighted to see them.
    They better have packed the feckin snow, else they can go home and get it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Rather than Psychic birds I'd be more inclined to believe that any change of behaviours of our local populations of Birds in advance of cold weather is merely a simple reaction to the influx of migratory birds.

EG. Birds not bothering with my feeders for weeks but now my tables are being mobbed. The Birds must know the snow is coming and are stocking up!!

They're not Psychic, they might be facing increased competition from the aforementioned migratory Redwings for example who's annual Winter migration to here was delayed by a mild Winter in Europe but who are now flocking to our shores to escape the advancing continental cold.

Is that the exact answer? Probably not but the answer will be something similar and simple albeit not necessarily obvious but that kind of answer is magnitudes more likely than Psychic Birds or birdbrains attuned to Quantum Tachyon signals blah blah blah :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Calibos wrote: »
    They're not Psychic, they might be facing increased competition from the aforementioned migratory Redwings for example who's annual Winter migration to here was delayed by a mild Winter in Europe but who are now flocking to our shores to escape the advancing continental cold.

Is that the exact answer? Probably not but the answer will be something similar and simple
    Some Redwings summer here and winter in Spain or Italy. They may have decided winter is over. :)

But are the White Fronted Gooses flying to Greenland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fineout

Thank you all. Can't figure out 'thanks' - think I am too new.
    I think this flock of redwings are indeed migratory, their accents are decidedly North European, and only see them in such large numbers in winter. I hope they are the advance party of the intense cold and that they have streamers of snow following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Fineout wrote: »
    Thank you all. Can't figure out 'thanks' - think I am too new.

You need 10 posts to your name before you can 'thank' :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Punxsutawney Phil just predicted 6 more weeks of Winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Cionád wrote: »

result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Lets hope it is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Interesting thread - thanks to all the contributors. I'm very much in the 'Su Campu' rationalist camp, I don't believe animals have access to special information that eludes us.

But is there evidence for my belief? I'd like to test it.

Does anyone know a good source of historical 'nature' data, preferably stretching back for a long peiod and preferably Irish? E.g. bird migration, tree budding, etc.

We could compare them against climate records and see if there's any predictive power. I'm sure its been done before - but maybe not.

Arguing by anecdote is pointless. This is supposed to be a 'science' forum after all. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

octo wrote: »
    Interesting thread - thanks to all the contributors. I'm very much in the 'Su Campu' rationalist camp, I don't believe animals have access to special information that eludes us.

Does anyone know a good source of historical 'nature' data, preferably stretching back for a long peiod and preferably Irish? E.g. bird migration, tree budding, etc.

We could compare them against climate records and see if there's any predictive power. I'm sure its been done before - but maybe not.

Arguing by anecdote is pointless. This is supposed to be a 'science' forum after all. ;)

Someone posted here either at the end of 2010 or start of 2011 and said he ( think it was a he ) had kept a yearly diary of the last 20 or 30 years that included details of things like time of budding leaves, falling leaves, bird migrations, spring flowers etc.
    I had hoped he/she would have come back again with some sort of lists and/or patterns but I haven't noticed any posts since.

With all those flashing cameras he would have seen about 10 shadows :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

octo wrote: »
    Interesting thread - thanks to all the contributors. I'm very much in the 'Su Campu' rationalist camp, I don't believe animals have access to special information that eludes us.*
    I'm not in any camp.

*This is a very broad statement if not qualified by 'special information...regarding weather prediction'.
    If your statement is to stand as quoted, then I would have to argue that animals do indeed have access to a considerable amount of information which eludes us.
    We don't have sonar - bats do, they can detect things in conditions we cannot.
    We can barely see in the dark, unlike most nocturnal animals.
    Just what is that dog sniffing? We can't smell it.
    Can we detect the electrical field of prey fish? Sharks can.
    Could a human find its way from a stream in Connemara to the Sargasso Sea without map and compass? Eels can.
    We have to use a compass to detect the earth's magnetic field - the direction of many migrations are determined by the animals' ability to sense this effect.
    There must be thousands of examples of the sensitivity of animals (and plants) to phenomena and physical forces which we cannot even detect without mechanical assistance.

And a most important question: how and what determines the timing and variability of annual migrations? It certainly isn't a calender.

Yes meteorology is a science, and yes, this forum is under the category of science but it is not called the 'Meteorology forum'.
    So just as your statement of belief above, is perfectly tolerable, so too is a belief in the possibility that animals may be able to detect and respond to atmospheric changes which we cannot.
    If animals are capable of detecting things that we cannot and if their behaviour changes in advance of a forthcoming weather event, it is not unreasonable to suggest that the two are linked.

It is perfectly reasonable to concede that the possibility exists.

Here's a teeny bit of ''nature data".
    (It is scarce so we might be stuck with anecdotal evidence)
    Frogs and earthquakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

slowburner wrote: »
    There must be thousands of examples of the sensitivity of animals (and plants) to phenomena and physical forces which we cannot even detect without mechanical assistance.

And a most important question: how and what determines the timing and variability of annual migrations? It certainly isn't a calender.

Yes meteorology is a science, and yes, this forum is under the category of science but it is not called the 'Meteorology forum'.
    So just as your statement of belief above, is perfectly tolerable, so too is a belief in the possibility that animals may be able to detect and respond to atmospheric changes which we cannot.
    If animals are capable of detecting things that we cannot and if their behaviour changes in advance of a forthcoming weather event, it is not unreasonable to suggest that the two are linked.

It is perfectly reasonable to concede that the possibility exists.

Here's a teeny bit of ''nature data".
    (It is scarce so we might be stuck with anecdotal evidence)
    Frogs and earthquakes

Yes. I concede your point. But I don't think long-term, or even medium term weather forecasting beyond 12-24 hours or so is theoretically possible using any data collected from a single location.

But my main point is that there's not much point in arguing about it without looking at data, which seems to be in short supply when it comes to signs of nature.

I tried your link to the Wiley paper, but unfortunately I no longer have access to Wiley journals....:(

Anyone know where to get the phenological data from Valentia?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here's the abstract from the link above.
    Abstract

The widespread belief that animals can anticipate earthquakes (EQs) is poorly supported by evidence, most of which consists of anecdotal post hoc recollections and relates to a very short period immediately before such events. In this study, a population of reproductively active common toads Bufo bufo were monitored over a period of 29 days, before, during and after the EQ (on day 10) at L'Aquila, Italy, in April 2009. Although our study site is 74 km from L'Aquila, toads showed a dramatic change in behaviour 5 days before the EQ, abandoning spawning and not resuming normal behaviour until some days after the event. It is unclear what environmental stimuli the toads were responding to so far in advance of the EQ, but reduced toad activity coincides with pre-seismic perturbations in the ionosphere, detected by very low frequency (VLF) radio sounding. We compare the response of toads to the EQ with the reported responses to seismic activity of several other species

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

02.45 and the birds singing so loud

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

cyclops999 wrote: »
    02.45 and the birds singing so loud
    Yeah thats happening here aswell. Thought it was on the tele but muted it and its not. Dont think it means anything all the same but that just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

kwik wrote: »
    Yeah thats happening here aswell. Thought it was on the tele but muted it and its not. Dont think it means anything all the same but that just my opinion

Light pollution fooling the poor birds into thinking it's dawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Popoutman wrote: »
    kwik wrote: »

I would'nt be surprised poor little feckers

Popoutman wrote: »

Do we not have light pollution every night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

exactly :(
    That's why the birds are singing all of the time - they don't have much of a night to react to anymore in certain locations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

There is an extreme amount of frogs and frog spawn near my house never see so much. does it mean anything? Probably from the mild, wet weather we've had I suppose

There is an extreme amount of frogs and frog spawn near my house never see so much. does it mean anything? Probably from the mild, wet weather we've had I suppose
    It probably means that you have a lot of frogs and frog spawn, due to the mild wet weather we've had.
    I wouldn't read anything into population fluctuations amongst animals or plants.
    These fluctuations tend to be responses to recent environmental conditions rather than portents of future weather.
    It's nature's way.
    If a species produces a super abundance of progeny one year, you can be pretty damn sure that mother nature will do something to reduce that population, one way or the other.
    I often hear people saying that a superabundance of Rowan berries in the Autumn is a sign of a bad Winter to come.
    It's not, it's simply a product of the preceding Spring and Summer.

Now animal behaviour........that's a completely different matter ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

IMG_0541-1.jpg

Despite the abundance of bugs and insects the birds are hungrier this year than ever!

This was full just a week ago :eek:

Bill, you have spoiled all the birds in your area and now they are only going for the easy pickings. Soon they'll be sending the young ones to get nuts and seeds for them.:)

It means there will be a large number of new frogs this year if we don't get a cold spell. It is all the mild weather that has them spawning early and plentiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Was walking home from town today, and it's very muggy and warm. There are clouds rising on the horizon, and it feels like one of those moments when a thunderstorm is imminent. I noticed that the birds were particularly clamorous, congregating in larger numbers than I would have noticed recently, and generally making an awful racket. This got me to thinking about the storie one hears about animals fleeing before storms, and birds anticipating the same. I always thought they were apocryphal, but then I'm a bit of a cynic in general. So I thought I'd turn to the to good denizens of the weather forum to inform me- can animals "forecast" the weather?

<insert jokes about birds predicting the weather on RTE here> :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Not per se of course - but as I understand it, they can detect changes in the environment that we humans cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Did we not have a thread about this before?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

delw wrote: »
    Did we not have a thread about this before?

We do , please continue all Animal,Nature and weather related discussions here

Advertisement