Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My kittens not well....

• 02-12-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,
    I let my 5 month old kitten out this evening but she vanished for an hour. When she came back in she looked strange, unwell and shes not purring like she normally does, she also had trouble jumping up onto the couch. When I lifted her she miaowed as if her belly was sore. I havent a clue what happened her, could she have got bitten by a rat? Shes very sleepy and looks very sad:confused:
    Any ideas what could be wrong?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Perhaps she could have been knocked down? Internal damage could explain the pain when lifting her.

Do you have a vet in your area that does out of hours, or could you get her to one first thing in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Hard to watch. I remember our cat as a kitten coming home with a broken leg when only a few mths old. Suspected the little thing got the glance of a car or the angry boot of a neighbour. The option when we went to the vet was put her down or patiently let it mend by its self. couldnt do the first. she must have been lots of pain for mths but now she is a happy 10 yr yr old cat now.

At least in our case the injury was visible. Suggest visit to vet and hope she is only bruised and can get back to full health.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

She looks a bit more alert and she is purring a bit now, she was jolting her back paw and licking it alot too so her paw is obviously bothering her too. I cant do anything with her until morning, Ill take her to vets first thing. Bugging me to know what happened her though:mad:

She looks a bit more alert and she is purring a bit now, she was jolting her back paw and licking it alot too so her paw is obviously bothering her too. I cant do anything with her until morning, Ill take her to vets first thing. Bugging me to know what happened her though:mad:

Good. TLC is what she needs for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

She might have something stuck in it. I would touch and gently squeeze her paw all over to see if it is uncomfortable.
    Vet check just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

For future reference, she may have been knocked by a car and have internal injuries. ALWAYS go straight to the vet with an ailing cat, even if it means making an out of hours trip at 11pm - they hide their pain and illness very well and can deteriorate rapidly.

As it stands, get an early appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hope the cat is ok, they are very good at hiding injuries, I once saw a neighbours cat trying to drag himself home after being run over (and I mean over), I had to pick him up and carry him to them, he never let out a peep.
    :(
    Also if she is 5 months, is she neutered yet?
    If not she should be kept in from now until she is, she could be coming into heat and toms will go after her, she could have been injured by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If in doubt always go to the vet. While we can offer some comfort and advice here we are not experts. Best of luck with your cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Any news or update OP ?

Sorry to hear about your kitten. It's always a worry when they are outside.

any improvement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

She ate and drank last night and was purring away when I went to bed. Shes a whole lot better today and is loving all the extra attention!! Shes five months today so not too much longer until I can get her neutered, I was thinking that myself that tom cats maybe attacked her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did you take to the vet in the end?

She ate and drank last night and was purring away when I went to bed. Shes a whole lot better today and is loving all the extra attention!! Shes five months today so not too much longer until I can get her neutered, I was thinking that myself that tom cats maybe attacked her.

good...best to keep her indoor as much as possible until then.

Advertisement