Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a 2nd SATA Drive

Options
  • 02-12-2011 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I want to add a SATA solid state drive to my computer and make it the drive that runs windows. I then want to take the existing drive which will be wiped and use it to store files or whatever else.

How do I configure two SATA hard drives? Do I have to make one master or slave? What I'm wondering is how the computer knows which one to boot from. I must need to specify that somehow?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

most drives can set master/slave automatically by using a jumper on the pins to enable cable select. you only need to set this if the drives happen to be on the same cable.. hence cable select!

when the operating system is installed a boot sector is written to the start of that drive, telling the computer which drive to boot from.

just connect the drives to port 1, port 2 etc in the order you intend to use them.

Advertisement