Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know your breed inside out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

falabo wrote: »
    great idea, Cocker5 and I can talk about cocker spaniels ...

Great falabo... im game if you are! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I suppose I could lend a hand with the Rotties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Not an expert by any means, but I can give some advice on having a Golden Retriever.

Have been a long time reader of this forum and would be glad to contribute, for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Golden retrievers
    Springers
    Pomeranians
    English Setters

Lurcher Collie GSD God Knows What X :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

I'm not an expert but have done a bit of research on the akita as I own one and wouldn't mind giving my own experience of the dog. I have her almost 4 years now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Goldies - but see a couple of other people have experience with this breed aswell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RitaW

Thanks for your input, people who post regularly on the forum are well known to everyone as are their dogs, so it's great to see readers of the forum come forward who don't post often for whatever reasons, otherwise we would be limited to the fairly small collection of breeds owned by known contributors here.

Do you think the Red and R&W's are similar enough to be doubled up together, how about other setter breeds - Gordon/English setter, would it be more feasible to have one huge Setter week than to split them all up? :D

Yes I could double the Red and IRWS into one post as they are connected. The IRWS breed came close to extinction towards the end of the 19th century when breeding the pure red variety became more fashionable and preferred to the red and white variety. The IRWS are still in small number today, they are more a working dog than the Red.

I wouldn't know alot about the Gordon/English so I couldn't go into detail on their personality characteristics or history. A Gordon will be added to our setter family in a few years though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I have no probs doing write up on GSD! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I've grouped some breeds together in an effort to rank some of these as contenders for the first thread (1st January!)

I'm comming up with:

JRT - 4 requests
    Sighthounds (Greyhound, Lurcher, Whippet) - 4 requests
    Rottweiler - 3 requests
    Akita (American & Akita Inu) - 3 requests
    Setters (all breeds) - 3 requests
    Spaniels (Cocker, Springer,)* - 3 requests
    Golden Retrievers - 3 Requests

* I think Cavs should have their own thread.

If any others get bumped up to 3 requests I'll add them to this list - this is just for handiness so we can see what's topping the polls here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I don't post here much but if anyone was interested in Bassets. Bloodhounds or Dachshunds (wirehaired) I could try and be of assistance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I can help with Cavillier King Charles Spaniels, just had one put down after 10 years. Need help withe Cavillier/Sheepdogs though!! Could help in a while though about them :)

ConTheCat wrote: »
    I can help with Cavillier King Charles Spaniels, just had one put down after 4 years. Need help withe Cavillier/Sheepdogs though!! Could help in a while though about them :)

Can I just commend you on your post, there have been a few threads on Cavs in the past and lots of people post that they got a pup from 'where ever' and it has no health problems, or course these are all still pups, no one ever comes back when their dog is old enough for issues to have started to become apparent.

<ETA> It is estimated that 60% of cavs never reach their 5th birthday and 90% never reach their 10th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

xxkarenxx wrote: »
    I don't post here much but if anyone was interested in Bassets. Bloodhounds or Dachshunds (wirehaired) I could try and be of assistance :)

i could help with bassets too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I have 2 Westies

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Can I just commend you on your post, there have been a few threads on Cavs in the past and lots of people post that they got a pup from 'where ever' and it has no health problems, or course these are all still pups, no one ever comes back when their dog is old enough for issues to have started to become apparent.

<ETA> It is estimated that 60% of cavs never reach their 5th birthday and 90% never reach their 10th birthday.
    Whoops sorry, meant to say 4 months ago after 10 years!
    There was no past problems where we got ours from, but another pup out of the litter was put down after 6 years for same reason-cardiac. Meant to be very common amongst them. Spine problems is on the up with them nowadays, or so I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have extensive knowledge on Alaskan Malamutes as well as German Spitz Klein.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

I don't know the breed inside and out, but I have some knowledge of the Whipprador (patent pending).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

AJ Would it work better if people who make a "owning a "breed" " post, pm'd you with the info? then as a moderator you can either sticky them or create a sub forum.

If that's the case, then I would like to make a request if possible, Siberian Husky. I've done alot of reading in the last few weeks, from breed info, breed history, body language, diet and exercise, and general health.

But it can never hurt to learn something new, So IF AJ agree's to this would someone be willing to make a sibe post?

Merry Christmas :) Happy Hanukkah :) & Happy Winter veil to everyone on the boards :)

Vince32 wrote: »
    AJ Would it work better if people who make a "owning a "breed" " post, pm'd you with the info? then as a moderator you can either sticky them or create a sub forum.

Why would people PM me with info :confused: They can post it themself in the thread. I know there are already threads here on some breeds but they have all been started by someone with specific questions - these would be general threads. PMs are confidential - you cannot share the contents of a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

ConTheCat wrote: »
    There was no past problems where we got ours from, but another pup out of the litter was put down after 6 years for same reason-cardiac. Meant to be very common amongst them. Spine problems is on the up with them nowadays, or so I hear.

I'm assuming you referring to Syringomyelia when you mention "spine problems" - all too common problem in the breed and often left undiagnosed. Cardiac problems are not just common in Cavaliers, the majority will develop one (usually a murmur due to MVD, leading into CHF) and quite a lot die from them. I have 2 at the moment with heart problems, ages 6 and 12. The 12 year old will die from it (he is so severe he has entered CHD, rattles when he walks from all the medication he is on) while the 6 year old has had no depletion in recent years and has a low grade murmur. I also have a 3 year old who is murmur negative (wohoo) but in reality, it is a waiting game. 6 years old with such a severe cardiac problem is quite shocking.

Great breed but they are on their knees with health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

I have 2 Samoyeds and would obviously like to see a section devoted to same. However, failing that, having them grouped with Akitas, Malamutes, Siberian Huskies might be an option.
    Having said that, as much as they're similar, they're quite different from each other, so grouping them might not be a good idea.

Will leave it up to the mods. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I have a 12 month old femail GSD (first time dog and GSD owner) so I would love to read info and advice from other GSD owners, please! Need all the help I can get :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Zebrano wrote: »
    I have a 12 month old femail GSD (first time dog and GSD owner) so I would love to read info and advice from other GSD owners, please! Need all the help I can get :)

I second this!
    I've a 5 and a half month GSD mix, (about 80% GSD, 20% Lab I *think*). I would be really interested to read other peoples advice etc.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Zebrano wrote: »
    Léan wrote: »
    I second this!
    I've a 5 and a half month GSD mix, (about 80% GSD, 20% Lab I *think*). I would be really interested to read other peoples advice etc.. :)

If you are on facebook there is a GSD community with 22,000 members from around the world on it. It seems quite good so far anyway. type in the german shepherd dog community.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Been involved with Labradors for about 25 years now, owned two myself (both shown), one other was family first dog and have known and minded and shown many my aunt has bred, and would be happy to answer any questions or try to pull something together on Labs.

Just a few do's and dont's for the various breed threads.
    Do:
    Post general questions on keeping the breed as a pet

Post info, history, perceptions and opinions on the breed. from your own personal experience

Post information links from sources with guaranteed experience of the breed (there is a lot of misinformation on the interwebs!)

This means links for Breed clubs within Europe, or from the country of origin of the breed (American standards are often different, the breed sometimes has evolved differently, and the lines will be different). Links to past threads on the breed and websites (non-Americanized) set up by people with first-hand experience of the breed. Links to health information are also acceptable.
    Don't:

Don't ask questions or make posts promoting info about specific sources eg. specific breeders, advert sites, rescues etc.

The aim is to show the breeds for what they are from the perspective of keeping them as pets so no preaching, welfare statistics or personal agenda - try to avoid the threads becoming contentious so they can be added to an FAQ sticky

Don't post links to sources that can't be verified - this includes Wikipaedia, general dog info sites and so on and don't reproduce large amounts of information from other sites - provide a link instead.

Someone has kindly agreed to start the first thread off for us early next week.

The first three could be very 'big' threads and will probably run on till the end of January.

1. Sighthounds,
    2. GSD
    3. JRT

Please wait for the thread to appear and in the case of the first one give the OP a chance to get the first four posts up before replying to the thread.

After those we'll have a recount to see what's next on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Roxbb

Proud owner of 2 cavaliers, but also proud owner of a beagle so I have extensive knowledge on the breed now :)
    So I'll do beagles if anyone interested :)

On anoth note I'm terrified all the time that my 2 cavs are going to have heart problems who the spine problem( can't spell the name) one is 8 in march the other 4 in April so far so good fingers crossed it stays that way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I could give some real-life examples of the daily grind that goes into owing a Shih Tzu (have a bichon too, but she is a Havanese and they aren't too common in Ireland yet).

The only reason I am suggesting this is that a lot of people who haven't had a dog before tend to go for the smaller 'toy' breeds (IMHO) and it might be an idea to let people know about the daily care (as well as other more general breed info) that these boyos need before people decide to buy them for their kids or whatever and then the poor things get fecked into a rescue when the daily maintenance becomes too much?

Am only a newbie to this forum though, so feel free to tell me to bugger off ;)

Loving the idea of these 'breed of the week' posts though AJ :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭too little too late

I can answer queries about Newfies. Have two myself and my brother has one.

Advertisement