Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deathstar prices

• 02-12-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi folks. wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for me.

My young lad is a real lego star wars nut, and has several sets already. anyway, he's been collecting for years for the ultimate one, the death star, and now has got the required funds. My job is to get the best deal needless to say.

firstly it's a difficult set to get your hands on, and i haven't seen it in any shops in ireland. :(
    so onto the lego online shop, where we bought stuff before, and found the pick a brick feature handy for completing sets with pieces missing.

The death star comes in at a whopping €419 + €12 postage, but that's what he is prepared to pay. however, I selected my region as uk (for the craic like), and found the price came down to £275 or about €325 with free postage (to the uk of course). that's about a €100 difference. however i can't find any way to get this price for myself. I could understand if I had to pay 20 quid for postage. It's a bit weird, considering you can get stuff on ebay etc from the uk without any hassle.

in any case, the cheapest death star i can find is on pixmania.ie for €390 + €16 post. Unless anything else shows up, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and go with this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Be careful with how long you dwell on this one. It's been out for a long time (going on the typical Lego set lifecycle) and most folk in the Lego community reckon it will be retired sooner rather than later. Then the 430 becomes 860 overnight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could try ringing shops around Newry and get their prices.

I found a Toymasters around there (was kinda out in the sticks) and got sets for 2/3rds the Irish price like that.

*edit*
    Pretty sure it was this one:
    Country Stores Toymaster
    109 Carrickastricken Road
    Forkhill
    Newry
    Northern Ireland
    BT35 9RL

Tel: 028 3088 8808

Fax: 028 3088 8887

evesontoys@btconnect.com
    Their site has a store locator, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

sorry i cant help you locate a deathstar at a cheaper price, but i just checked em out online, wow very cool your sons super lucky i would of loved one of those when i was younger, now unfortunately ive spent all morning looking at lego kits online haha :rolleyes:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You could try ringing shops around Newry and get their prices.

I found a Toymasters around there (was kinda out in the sticks) and got sets for 2/3rds the Irish price like that.

*edit*
    Pretty sure it was this one:

Their site has a store locator, too.

The Death Star is a direct sale set, meaning that it's exclusive to LEGO stores and the online store, apart from a small handful of other retailers (Amazon, Toys R Us, and Pixmania).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

Jagle wrote: »
    sorry i cant help you locate a deathstar at a cheaper price, but i just checked em out online, wow very cool your sons super lucky i would of loved one of those when i was younger, now unfortunately ive spent all morning looking at lego kits online haha :rolleyes:

You're right, I think it's a bit crazy myself, but in fairness, he's coming up with all the funds himself. has been saving for years.

Anyway, I went with the pixmania option. I'm a bit worried now though, as there's been very little happening. Paid for it on 4/12. It showed that it was validated and ready to be sent the next day, but nothing since. Rang them yesterday, and was told there must be a delay, and they would get back to me by email on Monday. I'm a dead man if this doesn't come in time for Christmas.

I reckon if I don't get a definite answer on Monday (ie, that it's on the way) that I insist they cancel the order, and I'll purchase from lego.com.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

The Death Star is a direct sale set, meaning that it's exclusive to LEGO stores and the online store, apart from a small handful of other retailers (Amazon, Toys R Us, and Pixmania).

Yeah this is correct.

Cannot be got in toymaster, smiths toys etc.
    Don't think toy r us have it either... at least not on their uk website.

If I were you I'd cancel it now and pay a bit more on shop.lego.com

I was just browsing another forum where folk were complaining about Pixmania. One person didn't receive their order, and after back and forth correspondence, they got an email from them saying that regrettably their package had been LOST in the mail! You couldn't make it up.

Besides, the online store has a pretty good points programme. If you spent €430 you'll get a nice sum off a future purchase.

Advertisement