Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plaster with lime or dry line ?

• 02-12-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi guys live in victorian terraced house and started to decorate a sitting room ,and discovered two old arches each side of fireplace which had been slabbed over .Herself:( seen them and decided she would like to reinstate them to their former glory :mad: and so it began removed studwork and slaps and as a result of this the old plaster has become loose and is falling off so just finished removing it to reveal a red brick 7 courses high on timber beam and then another 7 courses etc etc .So I would like to know should i dryline the wall including arches or plaster ,and i cant use insulated slap as it will cover some of the ornate coving ,sorry for the ramble but id like to get to relax sometime over xmas lol thanks in advance .

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

madred006 wrote: »
    Hi guys live in victorian terraced house and started to decorate a sitting room ,and discovered two old arches each side of fireplace which had been slabbed over .Herself:( seen them and decided she would like to reinstate them to their former glory :mad: and so it began removed studwork and slaps and as a result of this the old plaster has become loose and is falling off so just finished removing it to reveal a red brick 7 courses high on timber beam and then another 7 courses etc etc .So I would like to know
    1. should i dryline the wall including arches or plaster ,
    2. and i cant use insulated slap as it will cover some of the ornate coving .

I think you mean insulated slab?
    I'm not sure what the question is here..

my advice is treat the building appropriately for its age and use natural materials if at all possible, so yes (with having seen your house) i would recommend lime plaster BUT if you are not bothered nowe and want a quick xmas solution:

put in 2x4 studs and plaster board (slaps) ,skimmed and come back to it in the new year.

if you go this route take plenty of pictures and don't insulate it as this could rot the timbers.

then go visit some artisan trades people and look to see previous work etc.. any good conversation trades will be booked up till the new year..

best of luck

if in doubt about the structure see a conservation arch/eng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Thanks bryan yes i meant slabs .this is a gable end wall with only one course of bricks so will prob consult professionals thanks again .

Advertisement