Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverside Shopping Mall in Letterkenny

Options
  • 03-12-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Went in there a couple of months ago to take a look around and it was a sad sight. On a Saturday, we were the only customers in the place. The girl at the food court was sitting down reading a paper as she had no customers.

I think in theory the idea of having a lot of small local businesses together in the one shopping centre is nice, but there is no shop there to draw people in. I wouldn't have thought a tiny bed shop would do much business, nor a shop that sells food for slimmers.

Has anyone been in here? Has business picked up at all since?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Yeah i thought it would have been a good idea but without footfall no business will survive, maybe if it had been inside a larger shopping center and had it as a niche indoor market type thing it would work better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was there a couple of months ago as well and it was very quiet. Worse, there wasn't really anything to draw me back. As the OP says, they need a headline act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have never been in it despite passing it several times every week, I keep meaning to pop in just to see whats in it but judging by other posts here then porbably not much point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I popped in with the other half a few weeks ago. Walked around for about 90 seconds and left. Like above, they need something big to draw a crowd so the smaller shops can feed off their business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I think one of the problems is the fact that it hasn't got a big airy shopping centre feel. It is kind of dull and depressing. There's not even a proper inviting entrance.

I agree that they need something to draw people in as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Professor Knowall

Where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Where is it?

Canal Road letterkenny, click here for google map

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

that street view says it all. not a car about the place and a sign for one of the shops that says now open. not suited for those businesses.hardware shops and the like would have a better chance (excluding existing competition). anything there needs its own pulling power

overshoot wrote: »
    that street view says it all. not a car about the place and a sign for one of the shops that says now open. not suited for those businesses.hardware shops and the like would have a better chance (excluding existing competition). anything there needs its own pulling power

The actual shopping mall itself (I think they call it) wasn't there when the streetview car took the photo, its the second and 3rd last unit's on the Derry side there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

oh right its an actual shop... i thought it was the whole block of units... been a good 6 months since iv been in letterkenny and think iv only called into those units once

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    oh right its an actual shop... i thought it was the whole block of units... been a good 6 months since iv been in letterkenny and think iv only called into those units once

Yeah there is a large cafe at the back and about 20 or so very small shop units, i'd say they are only about 6ft X 6ft in size, I know the bed place struggle to get a bed in the unit they are that small :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Theyd be better off having some sort of indoor car boot type sale there every few days.. thats the kind of place it makes me think of.. went in once & as people have been saying there was nothing there at all to browse through the only reason you would go back is if they are selling something that you are specifically after!

Advertisement