Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is landlord coming to view the property during tenancy reasonable?

Options
  • 03-12-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

I'm renting a nice apartment and when I had moved in a month or two, the landlady wanted to come over to see if I was looking after the place. I thought this unusual but agreed. She came over and walked around commenting that I the place untidy and that I should open the blinds and a few other things. I was quite taken aback by this and tried to politely tell her that once I wasn't wrecking the place and paying my rent that she didn't have anything to complain about.
    Now she wants to come over again tomorrow and to be honest I find it a bot of an invasion of my privacy. The only reason I agree to it is that it's a lovely apartment and I'm getting it for good money. On a 12 month lease can the landlord give 4 weeks notice whenever they feel like it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Unless it's outlined in the lease that the landlady can do this with the appropriate notice timeframes, then you do not have to agree.
    Privacy

As a tenant you are entitled to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home. Your landlord is only allowed enter with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement with you. If the property is put up for sale, ask the landlord to agree viewing times with you. If your landlord repeatedly enters your flat without your permission contact Threshold for advice.

Tenant's Rights: Threshold

Get on to Threshold if you need more info. They're really helpful!

The landlord can inspect the property once they arrange it with you, the time etc would have to suit you, the blinds etc being open or closed is nothing to do with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks for the replies, the thing is I'll nearly do anything for this landlady as I like living in this place so much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The Residential Tenancies Act 2004, Part 2 Section 16 states
    (c) allow, at reasonable intervals, the landlord, or any person
    or persons acting on the landlord’s behalf, access to the
    dwelling (on a date and time agreed in advance with the
    tenant) for the purposes of inspecting the dwelling,

This applies to all tenancy types, Fixed Term, Part 4 and Periodic tenancies and if you have a written lease, I am sure you will find a clause in it stating the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Occasional inspections are fine (say every 4-6 months), but twice in less than two months is not. She cannot give you notice if you have a 1 year fixed term lease. Sounds like you have a nosey LL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

silja wrote: »
    Occasional inspections are fine (say every 4-6 months), but twice in less than two months is not. She cannot give you notice if you have a 1 year fixed term lease. Sounds like you have a nosey LL!
    the landlord can call out twice a week once he /she gets prior permission with the tenant and agreed a time suitable to both.. to the op, dont agree to the LL telling you what time she will be out at , make sure it suits you and she has no right to tell you to open the blinds, have them closed again when she visits and if she mentions it , tell her your a vampire.. that should limit the visits in the future!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Twice in two months is too much

May as well move home and live with mammy if you want to be constantly checked and corrected :)

Maybe once every three or four months is ok. Tell her you'll talk to her next March

And a landlord is only realy to be looking for the main issues likes leaks or damage, serious issues.

The place doesn't have to be spotless, blinds closed or clothes on the floor is none of their business.

She sounds like an amateur landlord and still thinks of the place as her place
    Give me a professional landlord with multiple properties any day. Far easier to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Agree a schedule of inspections. every 3 months, or every 6 months etc. If its a good tenant a LL might only do it once a year or never even.

While its a pain for a tenant, its worse for the LL to find out too late their house is being wrecked with a repair bill into the thousands.

Advertisement