Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metal tooth in tesco mince?

Options
  • 03-12-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

i was sent this direction from a different category. .
    I got mince from tesco carlow tuesday.got it home and froze it in the pack.took it out today and cooked it up.was eating it and bit down on something in it that hurt my tooth and gum.spat it into a bit of tissue because i taught it was a bit of gristle or bone.but it turned out to be a small metal tooth of some sort.
    Just wondering what rights i have and what course of action i can take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Contact tesco immediately!
    Seems like a mincer might be broken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

phoned them today as soon as it happened.they want me to bring the piece. .mince. .packet and receipt to the store whenever 'im not putting myself out of the way'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tesco will want to know about this because it indicates that piece of machinery in the meat production facility may be broken. They won't want it getting any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

At least its wasn't a cows tooth!!

well the manager seemed calm enough when i rang but im heading up tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ahhh, that's horrible.

If you know some one who worked in a butchers or a meat processing plant they might be able to tell you if that piece comes from a machine the'd use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

What do manufacturers give in these types of scenario? I presume its a few free slabs of mince? Or do they just give a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

stop calling it a tooth too. it's a little piece of metal. you make it sound like a metallic crown that may have come out of someone's mouth, which it definitely is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You should contact the Food Safety Authority also asap.

http://www.fsai.ie/makeitbetter/

That might be one bit of a machine - there may be other bits in other packs, and a sharp piece could do terrible damage to a child or adult.

I am surprised that the Tesco Manager treated the situation so blasé.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Disappointing thread tbh.

jaws-7.jpg

• Advertisement

dilallio wrote: »
    You should contact the Food Safety Authority also asap.

http://www.fsai.ie/makeitbetter/

That might be one bit of a machine - there may be other bits in other packs, and a sharp piece could do terrible damage to a child or adult.

I am surprised that the Tesco Manager treated the situation so blasé.

All the details should have been entered onto the customer service computer and the details sent to the relevant dept, who send it onto the buyers etc. Once the details are received it should be 2/3 weeks before it is resolved.

About what you can receive, it all depends on what you ask for! Ask for too much and it could be referred to the legal dept to sort out.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    All the details should have been entered onto the customer service computer and the details sent to the relevant dept, who send it onto the buyers etc. Once the details are received it should be 2/3 weeks before it is resolved.

About what you can receive, it all depends on what you ask for! Ask for too much and it could be referred to the legal dept to sort out.

well it scared the f==k out of me because the little brother and the 1 year old neighbour were going to eat some only they were gone 5 mins before the food was cooked...thank f==k!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

That looks like its from the mincer i worked in this plant in maintenance a while back i can pm you the name of the plant and address if you like

yes please chibs.would be grateful to you.at least then if i have a chance of legal proceedings ill have my research done.im sure the solicitors for tesco will have their work well taught and recited over!

Why are you talking solicitors, djflawless? Not to be smart, but it appears you spat the item out, assuming it to be grizzle or such, and you're absolutely fine, and have no need to be going the legal route?

Would you not be happy with knowing the issue has been rectified and perhaps getting a nice voucher or some free meat as way of apology?

Sorry if I sound like a prick, but I never like when people treat a mistake/error/etc. as a lottery ticket. :(

Chibs wrote: »
    That looks like its from the mincer i worked in this plant in maintenance a while back i can pm you the name of the plant and address if you like

That plant was probably one if many that supply Tesco - I wouldn't automatically assume that you have the right one.

OP - I would advise you to contact Tesco head office. They are bound to take more ofcan interest than this manager has done. All meat has to be traceable these days so they will know where it came from and where it was processed.

As a previous poster suggested, you may also want to inform the FSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

djflawless wrote: »
    .at least then if i have a chance of legal proceedings ill have my research done.

Sounds like you viewing this as an opportunity..Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Why are you talking solicitors, djflawless? Not to be smart, but it appears you spat the item out, assuming it to be grizzle or such, and you're absolutely fine, and have no need to be going the legal route?

Would you not be happy with knowing the issue has been rectified and perhaps getting a nice voucher or some free meat as way of apology?

Sorry if I sound like a prick, but I never like when people treat a mistake/error/etc. as a lottery ticket. :(

Couldn't agree with you more here.

Remember OP ... KARMA !!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

KKV wrote: »
    Why are you talking solicitors, djflawless?

$$$$$$$$$$

well tbh i think if i wanted to make money i would of 'accidentaly' hurt myself. .its not just a money fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

This old boy found a real tooth in his Tesco yoghurt last week. He was given a 68p refund followed by some shitty vouchers.

Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

Ya lucky it wasnt a moo moo tooth....im watchin ya clifford!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This old boy found a real tooth in his Tesco yoghurt last week. He was given a 68p refund followed by some shitty vouchers.

Just sayin'

Um ....how do we know it isn't the guys own tooth ?

Posters - please stick to the topic at hand.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    That plant was probably one if many that supply Tesco - I wouldn't automatically assume that you have the right one.

OP - I would advise you to contact Tesco head office. They are bound to take more ofcan interest than this manager has done. All meat has to be traceable these days so they will know where it came from and where it was processed.

As a previous poster suggested, you may also want to inform the FSA.

The head office is:
    Tesco Ireland Limited, Company no: 19542, Registered in Ireland
    Registered office address: Gresham House, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin

from here:

http://www.tesco.ie/corporate-responsibility/

But the manager would have direct access to the department that deal with things like this. Head office would just get in touch with the manager.

so as the mod stated . .stick to the topic. .what rights do i have???

so as the mod stated . .stick to the topic. .what rights do i have???
    A refund. That's it.

What rights do you think you have?

well tbh if i knew i wouldnt be asking

well tbh if i knew i wouldnt be asking
    In fairness, people have told you that a refund is all you are entitled to, but if you write to the manufacturers/tescos head office, they might send you a voucher or something as a gesture of goodwill.

Thats your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My daughter had an accident relating to something in Aldi two years ago... they paid for her medical bill (with proof provided by me obviously) and sent a voucher as a gesture of goodwill also. I wasn't expecting the voucher, but was expecting them to pay her medical bill as the safety label on what caused the problem said it would only irritate, not burn (skin and her cornea).

I'd just be looking for a refund and anything else that comes your way is a bonus.

Advertisement