Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this build

Options
  • 03-12-2011 2:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

GOD why are there so many options when your looking to build a system!? I've never actually built a system for scratch, but i've upgraded just about everything so I think I should be aright on the assembly. So, I'm looking to build a HD HTPC, with the following;

Mobo: ASUS P7F-M WS, Intel 1156 chipset, mATX

CPU: Intel Core i3 550 3.2 GHz
    Open to suggestions on a cooler, was thinking something like this?

Ram: 2x 4GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3

GPU: ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6670, 1 GB

ODD: Sony Optiarc BD 5300S

TV Cards: Undecided as yet but looking for 2 hybrid cards

HDD: Gonna throw in 2-3 2TB HDD's as well, not set in stone yet though.

Sound: I plan on adding some form of 5.1 surround sound in the future, but after the main build. Around Easter for arguments sake

Havent really decided on case yet, might build a custom case I'm never happy with cases cooling arrangements. I do go and and make my own housing, what kinda PSU will I need to power this, a 500w?

Let me know if I left anything out, appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Alfreado wrote: »
    GOD why are there so many options when your looking to build a system!? I've never actually built a system for scratch, but i've upgraded just about everything so I think I should be aright on the assembly. So, I'm looking to build a HD HTPC, with the following;

Mobo: ASUS P7F-M WS, Intel 1156 chipset, mATX

CPU: Intel Core i3 550 3.2 GHz
    Open to suggestions on a cooler, was thinking something like this?

Ram: 2x 4GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3

GPU: ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6670, 1 GB

ODD: Sony Optiarc BD 5300S

TV Cards: Undecided as yet but looking for 2 hybrid cards

HDD: Gonna throw in 2-3 2TB HDD's as well, not set in stone yet though.

Sound: I plan on adding some form of 5.1 surround sound in the future, but after the main build. Around Easter for arguments sake

Havent really decided on case yet, might build a custom case I'm never happy with cases cooling arrangements. I do go and and make my own housing, what kinda PSU will I need to power this, a 500w?

Let me know if I left anything out, appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me :o

My reaction would really depend on it's intended usage, what's it for? What's your operating budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You choose a horrible time to buy hdds. Those hdds will set you back more then whole system will cost.

Those i3 are last gen. Get 1155 socket mobo and sandy bridge CPU.

Before any real tip, it would be nice to know what pc is used for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

Its gonna be a HTPC, it MUST be HD but no gaming. Well I might put angry birds on it, but that wont cause any problems. Its uses will be:

Streaming online videos (catch up tv, netflicks when it arrives)
    Ripping DVD and Blu Ray with some encoding along the way
    DVD and Blu Ray playback via WMC and MyMovies
    Recording & watching SD & HD TV
    I want to throw all my music and pictures onto it as well

I have an AMD based system serving that purpose at the moment, just not with a DVB-S2/T2 card or a blu ray drive. Its not ancient but it really badly needs to be upgraded and I was considering selling it and building an intel based system instead.

Are Sandy Bridge's on sale yet? I choose the i3 only because I have a 2.4 GHz i3 in my laptop and I find it great for encoding movies, barely goes above 40%. The AMD in the HTPC I have goes straight to 100% when its just encoding, then everything gets slow.

What is the craic with HDD prices actually now you mentioned its a bad time to buy them? I only noticed last night Komplett were only selling 1 and it was €200. I have a 2TB, a 500GB and a 640GB in the old system. I planned on keeping the 2TB cos its filled with my dvd's, with some spilling over onto the 640. 640 is largely empty bar the OS and recorded stuff and the 500 has only music and pictures on it, nowhere near full. So I've plenty of space for now. When I start ripping my blu rays that will soon run out though

Budget.... I suppose without considering HDD's, tv cards and surround sound for the moment, about €5-600. I am really interested in building a good core system that I can add to as money becomes available.

right. i am not the best at linking stuff, but you are a big boy and you know what you need. and can look in to prices yourself.

500-600 is alot for tower and your needs.

H61 mobo with 1155 socket
    core i3-2100
    ati 5770
    8 gb ram ( its cheap as chips )
    400w psu is plenty

with alot of left over take case and maybe even SSD for OS.

HDD prices are idiotic, because of flood in main factories. demand is huge and supply is very low. you can even notice alot of hdds are out of stock.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

right. i am not the best at linking stuff, but you are a big boy and you know what you need. and can look in to prices yourself.

500-600 is alot for tower and your needs.

H61 mobo with 1155 socket
    core i3-2100
    ati 5770
    8 gb ram ( its cheap as chips )
    400w psu is plenty

with alot of left over take case and maybe even SSD for OS.

HDD prices are idiotic, because of flood in main factories. demand is huge and supply is very low. you can even notice alot of hdds are out of stock.

Drop the 5770, don't need a GPU for a HTPC.

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »

i sow few of those mobos with integrated graphics, HD3000?

so here you go OP, even more moneys. maybe upgrade cpu to i5 2400 or go mad on SSD and HDD

thanks a million guys really appreciate the help. @ShadowHearth, no need to link, I will find it

Case: Antec NSK2400
    Mainboard: Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H (onboard Radeon HD4200 GPU)
    CPU: AMD Athalon II x2 250, 3.0Ghz Dual Core, 2mb cache
    Cooler: Alpine 64 GT
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 Kingston
    HDD: Total: 2640GB (1x640GB and 1x2TB, both WD)
    TV: Compro Videomate S350 DVB-S
    PSU: Antec 380W
    Windows 7 Home Premuim for Windows Media Centre, My Movies 3.19, AnyDVD, Media Centre Studio.

Looking at Komplett, I could buy 2 external WD 2TB for slightly more than an internal 2TB. Seeing as all I need to do is pop open the case it seems crazy! I may hold off on ordering the hdd's cos I'm not paying that price for them. Where were you reading about the flooding??

How important is the type of mobo? I mean, can I pick up the cheapest board as long as its a 1155 and has enough ports etc?

I'm also being pretty naive in assuming I wont have any compatability issues, should I expect issues?

deconduo wrote: »

I was getting a stand alone GPU because I was told elsewhere my current integraded jobbie (Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H with onboard Radeon HD4200 GPU) wont be the best for blu ray disc playback and HD streaming. I would need a decent graphics card, something with around 1gb of memory.

Even if I was to get a blu ray drive now I would need to use power dvd or TMT, both of which I think of absolute rubbish, to play the disc as my current setup wont recognise it.

The added bonus of a powerful GPU is it can speed up the encoding process, which is something I don't mind popping an extra 60-80 quid on. No way would I spend hundreds on one when I don't need that kinda power

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Here's a quick build that will cover everything you need apart from storage drives:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €422.26 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155|€100.37
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.40
    LG BH10LS38 Blu-Ray bulk|€70.91
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Core 1000 black|€32.49
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.43
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€95.54
    MSI H61MA-E35 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3|€61.12

Put windows on the SSD along with whatever apps you are using. Take the drives from your old build and use them as storage. You could take the cooler as well if you want, but the stock intel one is pretty quiet.

The only thing you might need to change is the motherboard, if the TV cards you want are PCI. It will take 3 PCI-E x1 cards but it doesn't have any PCI slots.

Cheers man

would a 3.3GHz quad core i5 be complete overkill?

• Advertisement

Alfreado wrote: »
    Cheers man

would a 3.3GHz quad core i5 be complete overkill?

for gamers its best CPU out there. i really doubt you need it. you will need better and more expencive mobo with it too i guess.

i biult myself i5 2500k system and its fast, really fast after coming from q6600 system. i really really doubt you need it.

i really really doubt you need it.

yeah thinking the same... I'll put the money toward storage lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For at HTPC, look at the i3 2105. It's basically a 2100 with 3000 graphics (versus 2000, there's quite a difference).

This page gives a couple of examples:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/11

Advertisement