Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 new jobs for Galway

Options
  • 03-12-2011 2:43am

Full details here
    Games giant decides on new Galway base

Hundreds of new jobs are set to be created in Galway City next Spring when American online gaming giant ZeniMax Online Studios opens a new facility in Rahoon.
    The company will create at least 200 jobs – with the potential for hundreds more – in the former Connacht Laundry/National Linen premises in the Rahoon Business Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rahoon Business Park ... now there's a name I haven't heard before!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The old Connacht Laundry site ain't in Rahoon.

It should be called The Whest Business Park.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The old Connacht Laundry site ain't in Rahoon.

It should be called The Whest Business Park.

Nah, you're thinking of the old-old laundry site, in Henry St.

This article's talking about the new-old laundry site in Rahoon, where they moved to before they went broke. (Hmm, am sure there's a thread in here somewhere about it being the site of a fairy-fort or such, and everything that's happened there going bad ....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JustMary wrote: »
    Nah, you're thinking of the old-old laundry site, in Henry St.

This article's talking about the new-old laundry site in Rahoon, where they moved to before they went broke. (Hmm, am sure there's a thread in here somewhere about it being the site of a fairy-fort or such, and everything that's happened there going bad ....)

Thought they had just shut up show when they sold the Henry St site, didn't realise they have moved. Whereabouts in Rahoon is the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Woo , That is Knocknacarra, NOT Rahoon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is it the tin box up near Aviva??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

3fullback wrote: »
    Woo , That is Knocknacarra, NOT Rahoon.

Don't start that one again! ;)

We'll have 4 pages of ancient maps that take forever to load!

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Rahoon is the site?

The newly titled (AFAIK) "Rahoon Business Park" is now shown at number 9 on the Knocknacarra Neighbourhood Map.

It's on this map not the Rahoon one 'cos it makes more sense to catch the red Knocknacarra bus to get to it.

I have no more idea about the precise-in-locals-minds boundary between Rahoon / Knocknacarra, than I do about the difference between Castlepark and Ballybane.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

The following are the correct names:

Galway Gateway, Knocknacarra - Dunnes, B&Q, Next, New Look
    (postal address is technically Rahoon)

Galway West Business Park, Western Distributor Road - Hibernian/Aviva

Rahoon Business Park, Rahoon - former Connacht Laundry/Linen Supply of Ireland/CWS boco site

Galway Gateway is commonly incorrectly referred to Galway West Retail Park. This only causes confusion with the West City Retail Park (Aldi off the Seamus Quirke Road).

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Galway Gateway is commonly incorrectly referred to Galway West Retail Park. This only causes confusion with the West City Retail Park (Aldi off the Seamus Quirke Road).
    Hmmm, so it turns out the Quinsentennial/Quinsentennary bridge issue was just the start of it then.

• Advertisement

The following are the correct names:

Galway Gateway, Knocknacarra - Dunnes, B&Q, Next, New Look

Galway West Business Park, Western Distributor Road - Hibernian/Aviva

Rahoon Business Park, Rahoon - former Connacht Laundry/Linen Supply of Ireland/CWS boco site

Cheers, that's helpful, thanks.

But I have to ask - correct according to who?

I'd had a lot of fun working out correct vs common-usage names (the latter being what people google for), and how to get the both into maps etc without being overly cluttered.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a moving feast: eg when I worked in Ballybit in 2008, no one ever talked about "City East Business Park" - now there are signs up making it look all officiail

The problem with "gateway Galway" is that it's nowhere near the gateway to Galway -these days, that would be the Doughiska roundabout!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

We need to create a new suburb out there in Rahoon/KnocknacarraTonabrucky/Ballyburke/Cappagh..
    Gerrymander the boundary around all the 'new' housing estates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 plastic bellybutton

jobs in galway is great. cheese n onion crisps can go stale and tables n chairs can b stacked agin the wall, but paddy will stand tall, at all, at all, at all, and sometimes there's good things on the television and my aunt mary gone very big since she took to the sugar. god bless the jobs in galway.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a moving feast: eg when I worked in Ballybit in 2008, no one ever talked about "City East Business Park" - now there are signs up making it look all officiail
    Arra go away, there were signs there in 2005/2006 and I even personally named it when I once told Maurice Greaney that Ballybrit Business Park sounded cack and City East would be much better.

And so he did! Still known by both names as that link clearly shows. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Nice - Currently out of work and wether or not this is based in Rahoon (I live in Rahoon) it's still a great option - Thanks for sharing, gotta keep my eye on this ;)

This is what it's all about, isn't it? Jobs.

It's not often that 200 jobs are announced for Rahoon/Knocknacarra.

CWS-boco were not long in that (purpose-built?) plant before the plug was pulled. A big shame IMO that such a building was left empty.

The plug was also pulled a couple of years ago on the commercial/residential Phase 2 development in that retail park. All that's left of that project now is a large swimming pool for seagulls. Much of the planned development land in the area now has a dreary derelict look about it.

Jobs are also under threat in Aviva, so it remains to be seen whether those particular office buildings continue to be the location for significant employment in the area.

On a technical note, is there any truth in the suggestion that the EA BioWare facility in Mervue is using up a very large proportion of Galway's current broadband capacity, thereby constraining ZeniMax to some degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

bloody hippy town, gets all the jobs

mumble, ****, mumble, artsey fartsey bloody hippies, layabouts, i know what i'd do with them, bloody hippy-

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

I don't think that either organisation is going to be using that much broadband unless you count their products?! If they are using the same infrastucture as the rest of us then god help them!

I'm not au fait with the techicalities of broadband at city level. It was a local TD who suggested that there was a capacity issue and that EA was using a lot of bandwidth, like a housemate who is always online gaming and downloading huge files.

He also said that the new BFO transatlantic fibre optic cable is to be connected to Galway, which will be a big boost apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

To be honest when it comes to the nitty gritty neither do I, I'll put it to you this way the information super highway in Ireland (at least the western side of it) is still a binary boreen! Yes the new transatlantic cable should be good for ireland but i doubt UPC/EIRCOM/Insert ISP here will pay the extra to make use of it without charging the rest of us?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Arra go away, there were signs there in 2005/2006 and I even personally named it when I once told Maurice Greaney that Ballybrit Business Park sounded cack and City East would be much better.

And so he did! Still known by both names as that link clearly shows. :D

Based on the signs in place now, and the addresses quoted by companies there (yes, I'm sad enough that I actually spent time researching them!), they are actually two different places:

City East is the collection of (similar-looking) buildings between Supermacs distribution centre and the motorway.

Ballybrit business park is the collection of (all sorts of) buildings between the Morris RAB and the slip-road down to Supermacs.

Whether or not there is still such a place as Ballybrit Industrial Estate is, I, still open to question. There are certainly signs with that name on it. Two big multinationals that operate there now quote their addresses as "ballybrit business park", and one of them isn't manufacturing there any more. But the local business (WIP) still uses the industrial estate name.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    On a technical note, is there any truth in the suggestion that the EA BioWare facility in Mervue is using up a very large proportion of Galway's current broadband capacity, thereby constraining ZeniMax to some degree?
    On a technical note. No.

Did you not see the announcement that came out the day before Zenimax??

http://pipiperinfrastructure.com/project-joshua/
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/24821-rollout-of-irelands-dark/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Much of the planned development land in the area now has a dreary derelict look about it.

I'd love to start a campaign to get the unused land turned into some sort of nature public park thing, not managed park but good for wildlife, butterflies, birds etc.

Where would you start though?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

What were we talking about again ???:p

So everyones agreed its Knockcnacarra, where Dunnes, B&Q , New look and Next are located. As well as the building for the new 200 jobs.
    Thats good that were all agreed. :D

So everyones agreed its Knockcnacarra, where Dunnes, B&Q , New look and Next are located. As well as the building for the new 200 jobs. Thats good that were all agreed. :D
    AND the Birds AND the Bees AND the Bog Cotton ....ohhh emmm OOOps. :cool:

What were we talking about again ???:p

So everyones agreed its Knockcnacarra, where Dunnes, B&Q , New look and Next are located. As well as the building for the new 200 jobs.
    Thats good that were all agreed. :D

We're agreed it's Knocknacarra all right.

But the 200 jobs ain't going right next to Dunnes et al (you know, by the facilities that workers might need). No, they're going a couple of blocks down the road, closer to the Rahoon border.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    On a technical note. No.

Did you not see the announcement that came out the day before Zenimax??

http://pipiperinfrastructure.com/project-joshua/
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/24821-rollout-of-irelands-dark/

I already referred to the new transatlantic fibre optic cable and the spur that's due to extend to Galway. That will not be operational until 2013, whereas Zenimax are coming in 2012.

I'm only going on what the local TD told me regarding current broadband capacity.

But the 200 jobs ain't going right next to Dunnes et al (you know, by the facilities that workers might need). No, they're going a couple of blocks down the road, closer to the Rahoon border.

The CWS-boco / National Linen premises was always in Rahoon.

IMO the Knocknacarra versus Rahoon distinction locally may well be due to snootiness or perhaps even a desire to maximise rents or house prices. For example, I'd say Riasc na Ri is in Rahoon, but daft.ie seems to think otherwise.

Border? Couple of blocks? Not next to Dunne's? The former CWS-boco premises is about a 5-minute walk from Dunne's, Next, B&Q etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

No comment :D

Still see the side of the banana boxes in Dunnes marked 'Dunnes, Rahoon' :p

inisboffin wrote: »
    No comment :D

Still see the side of the banana boxes in Dunnes marked 'Dunnes, Rahoon' :p

That's just bananas. ;)

• Advertisement

I'm only going on what the local TD told me regarding current broadband capacity.
    You will be telling me Brian Walsh is a telecoms expert next. :D

Advertisement