Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 new jobs for Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I already referred to the new transatlantic fibre optic cable and the spur that's due to extend to Galway. That will not be operational until 2013, whereas Zenimax are coming in 2012.

I'm only going on what the local TD told me regarding current broadband capacity.

Do we have a lack of connectivity to Europe though?

While the transatlantic part of the cable won't make much difference to Bioware or Zenimax as they are supplying the servers and support for their European customers, the link back to London could be useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The WoW servers are in Frankfurt. Run a trace to eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com and it generally jiggles through Telehouse London and then Paris. Galway will get tech/customer support and accounts in a shared services centre initially. Plenty of bandwidth for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The WoW servers are in Frankfurt. Run a trace to eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com and it generally jiggles through Telehouse London and then Paris. Galway will get tech/customer support and accounts in a shared services centre initially. Plenty of bandwidth for that.

Well it looks like the Bioware servers are in Dublin according to the developers.
    It's a few ms closer to the rest of Europe I suppose.
    No word on where ZeniMax will put theirs, but then are no details on what their game is even going to be about yet.

Without the servers being here they shouldn't need huge amounts of bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

JustMary wrote: »
    The newly titled (AFAIK) "Rahoon Business Park" is now shown at number 9 on the Knocknacarra Neighbourhood Map.

It's on this map not the Rahoon one 'cos it makes more sense to catch the red Knocknacarra bus to get to it.

I have no more idea about the precise-in-locals-minds boundary between Rahoon / Knocknacarra, than I do about the difference between Castlepark and Ballybane.

Castlepark is in Ballybane. And so are Clareview Park, Rahylin Glebe and Rocklands Avenue (plus more) if i'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Hi All

With the builders gone into the old connacht laundry plant in rahoon has anyone seen or heard anything about forthcoming recruitment for the new operation ?

westgolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with previous Zenimax thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Thanks Biko, should have copped that myself :o

westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    This is what it's all about, isn't it? Jobs.

It's not often that 200 jobs are announced for Rahoon/Knocknacarra.

CWS-boco were not long in that (purpose-built?) plant before the plug was pulled. A big shame IMO that such a building was left empty.

The plug was also pulled a couple of years ago on the commercial/residential Phase 2 development in that retail park. All that's left of that project now is a large swimming pool for seagulls. Much of the planned development land in the area now has a dreary derelict look about it.

Jobs are also under threat in Aviva, so it remains to be seen whether those particular office buildings continue to be the location for significant employment in the area.

On a technical note, is there any truth in the suggestion that the EA BioWare facility in Mervue is using up a very large proportion of Galway's current broadband capacity, thereby constraining ZeniMax to some degree?

CWS moved all operations to cork. As far as I know, the office and paperwork side of things are managed between Galway and Dublin now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

By the way the CEO of Zenimax is married to none other than Wonder Woman herself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    By the way the CEO of Zenimax is married to none other than Wonder Woman herself. :D
    Who is still looking damn! by the way by the way.

I saw her interviewed recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fantastic news, well played the IDA.

Advertisement