Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are too many sub-forums in Tech.

Options
  • 03-12-2011 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

It's fcuking ridiculous, I was trying to find somewhere to talk about flatscreen TV's but I just gave up because the Tech menu is divided into too many sub-forums and mini-forums. (don't you fcuking dare mention the word fora)

I gave up and went to another forum.co.uk that deals with flatscreen TV's and got my answer within 20 minutes.

I love boards but that Tech section is ridiculous. I find it very hard to believe that boards.ie is an actual business when I see the shtate of that place.

Basically what I'm saying is... tighten up that Tech section. Merge those mini-forums to shyte. Do the admins and managers of Boards understand the term "lean" in a business sense?

By the way why does every sub-forum in Home Entertainment start with HE??? Why don't you apply that across the board (hehe:cool:) .... for example, why don't you add AH to "Cool Vids Pics and Links" and "Teacht na Gaelt"??? etc etc...

Boards needs to be standardised and that fat needs to be trimmed.

That's about it now.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,168 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=113

It's a really easy category to view from Beta skin, and the entire subsection is under Home Entertainment, so it's redundant to call all the subforums Home Entertainment xxxx instead of HE.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your tone is a bit off, even for 3.30 in the morning but it's hard to argue that the forum to talk about TVs is easy to find for a new user (or any user).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For someone only around a couple of months, you sure do give out about inconsequential stuff a lot, don't you?

If you have an issue with the way the forums are structured, and even better, a proposal as to how they could be structured better, PM the Tech CMods and see what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Zaph wrote: »
    For someone only around a couple of months, you sure do give out about inconsequential stuff a lot, don't you?

If you have an issue with the way the forums are structured, and even better, a proposal as to how they could be structured better, PM the Tech CMods and see what they think.

I thought he was a very important poster given the username. I didnt think a name so similar to the site name would be allowed...

Just thinking about what you said about a newbie giving out about stuff, I have noticed this before with other new posters. I often wonder how new they actually are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I often wonder how new they actually are...

probably not very new.

OP,I've never been to the HE fora before but I found the one you needed on the first click.Dont see the problem tbh.

• Advertisement

The obviosu place for someone to look would be consumer electronics but there doesn't seem to be anywhere in there to ask about TVs, fridges, microwaves etc. Anyone using the beta skin search woul never in a hundred years think to type in something called "HE General." Unless you had drilled down through the tech category you'd probably assume it was some hospital program.

And what's the 'technology' bit in 'Computers and Technology' exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Zaph wrote: »

What is this feedback forum for if you tell me to bring my issue to the Tech Mods?

Well what exactly would you like to be done? You've provided your feedback and I've directed you to the people best placed to discuss the issue with. We're not simply going to re-arrange the site just because one person starts a feedback thread, there has to be further discussion following on from that to see a) if it's really required; and b) what's the best way to restructure the category.

But surely the site is not going to be changed based on one person's PM to a mod either and open discussion of an issue that may affect lots of users is preferable? Seems like Feedback is the logical place for that discussion with the tech mods so everyone knows the story, no?

That's a fair point and it would probably be better to make the CMods aware of this thread so that they could join in the discussion.

• Advertisement

The obviosu place for someone to look would be consumer electronics but there doesn't seem to be anywhere in there to ask about TVs, fridges, microwaves etc.

I found this in Rec, Home and Garden, Home Appliances eventually, if anyone is wondering :)

Advertisement