Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

snaps wrote: »
    Hasnt been a bad day, sunny, breezy & mildish! But now there's a chill setting in. Wind changing direction and temp dropping was 12c an hour ago but now 8c and slowly dropping.

I love watching that happen.

It was like last December when it warmed up for a few days and watching the temperature drop from 6c to -3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Su Campu wrote: »
    We really need 522 dam for snow to all levels at this time of the year, but a more important thickness is the 850-1000, which needs to be below 1290 dam.

Where can you see charts for that one Su ?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Snow for North west/Connaught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Where can you see charts for that one Su ?

Weatheronline.co.uk, they're available for the GFS and NAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ok folks, plenty on here have questioned why I think we will get a widespread snow event Sunday night / Monday
    To look at the current charts you would be right BUT everyone is ignoring the deep cold over Iceland and more particularly Greenland.
    My belief is that this air is Polar Low productive and that there's a signifncant chance of a small Polar low forming on Sunday night.

Anyway, the 12's will be out soon and I fully expect upgrades!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ok folks, plenty on here have questioned why I think we will get a widespread snow event Sunday night / Monday
    To look at the current charts you would be right BUT everyone is ignoring the deep cold over Iceland and more particularly Greenland.
    My belief is that this air is Polar Low productive and that there's a signifncant chance of a small Polar low forming on Sunday night.

If you are correct i will take my hat off to you but at the moment i think your over eagerness of seeing what you want to happen is clouding your mind to what is only going to be a minor flirt with winter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

people on here always mention the possibility of polar low but it never comes out to be right!, I heard it too many times and it never happened

When will the 12's be out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

people on here always mention the possibility of polar low but it never comes out to be right!, I heard it too many times and it never happened

Positive mental attitude, positive mental attitude, positive mental attitude......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Lucreto wrote: »
    When will the 12's be out?

They start rolling out at 15:30 and usually take a little under 90 minutes to complete.

The updated models role out every 6 hours; at 03:30, 09:30, 15:30 and 21:30 - All times in UTC/GMT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

friday will be a better event for everyone

highdef wrote: »
    They start rolling out at 15:30 and usually take a little under 90 minutes to complete.

The updated models role out every 6 hours; at 03:30, 09:30, 15:30 and 21:30 - All times in UTC/GMT.

So we will know around 1700. Look forward to it.

*Begins snow dance*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

You should know by about 16:30. If you look at the GFS charts on net weather now, you will see that the first few updated charts are already in. At some point, you will get blanks as the information has not yet been updated. If you check again a few minutes later, you will see the charts but the one after will not yet be available. And so on.

Not sure if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

eyesquirm wrote: »
    What's so lovely about Evelyn?

She's pasionate about what she does, takes time when she can to explain whats going on more than any of the others do, she makes a snow forecast seem just a little bit more exciting with that glint she gets in her eye, she has a lovely smile...

MetLuver wrote: »
    She's pasionate about what she does, takes time when she can to explain whats going on more than any of the others do, she makes a snow forecast seem just a little bit more exciting with that glint she gets in her eye, she has a lovely smile...

Dont even get the lads started on Jean Byrne :p;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

MetLuver wrote: »

Steady on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The ukmo slightly upgrades the cold again for Mon morning.
    All we need now is increased ppn and we have our nationwide snow event!!

baraca wrote: »
    Steady on

All profesional observations,:D I already have my Love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Karina Buckely mentioned snow a few times earlier, Jean Byrnes forecast was a letdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

Thank you metluver.
    I was thinking more on a "between the sheets" level, and couldn't see what the fuss was about...

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

By 150 hours things look quite different on the 12Z GFS.

eyesquirm wrote: »
    Thank you metluver.
    I was thinking more on a "between the sheets" level, and couldn't see what the fuss was about...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

By 150 hours things look quite different on the 12Z GFS.

they certainly do

-15 in Scotland at 6pm next Saturday? :P

ukmintemp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

this evenings GFS is actually quite stunning

i haven't looked at the charts in a few days but that really isn't that far
    from locking us into a real cold period.

I am liking the way things are moving.

Yeh almost an easterly in FI but the cold heads into Europe instead.

It's very different from the 06Z long before that though, ensembles & ECM will be interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Generally going in the right direction. The UKMO is not too bad either at the end.

In the shorter term on Sunday evening snow showers will start piling into the west but will struggle to penetrate to the eastern half of the country most of which may remain dry overnight. In the Southwest, West and North a dusting of snow is very likely to greet you on Monday morning.

Monday will see further wintry showers in the West and North. But I think the snow level will rise during Monday and the showers at sea level will be more of the rain/hail/sleet variety by then.

Tuesday still cold. More organised rain preceded by snow on high ground will turn things wet for Tuesday night. Turning a little milder. Wednesday a bit milder with rain clearing early to leave a good day with some sunshine (still feeling cold though). Then rain on Thursday followed by much colder weather again.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

would love to see some snow soon! I bloody hate this rain :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Pangea wrote: »
    Karina Buckely mentioned snow a few times earlier, Jean Byrnes forecast was a letdown.

Jeans forecast is never a let down once Jean is giving it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    would love to see some snow soon! I bloody hate this rain :mad:

Have to say I'd much prefer to see the rain to the grimy, diluted slop that the latest charts seem to be forecasting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement