Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads I'm liking this line from Met Eireann:

"But rain will spread from the west on Saturday night with a high probability of snow overnight and some significant accumulations possible. Further wintry showers following on Sunday."

What I'm not liking is that they don't pinpoint where exactly this snow will fall!!! Which means probably nowhere near Cork:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Quite icy on the North Road in the Phoenix Park this morning. The car wobbled a couple of times.
    Take care if any of you are using that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

leahyl wrote: »
    Lads I'm liking this line from Met Eireann:

"But rain will spread from the west on Saturday night with a high probability of snow overnight and some significant accumulations possible. Further wintry showers following on Sunday."

What I'm not liking is that they don't pinpoint where exactly this snow will fall!!! Which means probably nowhere near Cork:D

They did. They said everywhere.........................except Cork :D
    Seriously though, that is a nice forecast from Met Eireann for the weekend if it holds up.

rhonin wrote: »
    They did. They said everywhere.........................except Cork :D
    Seriously though, that is a nice forecast from Met Eireann for the weekend if it holds up.

Pretty optimistic forecast alright for us snow lovers - Met Eireann don't usually push the boat out that much unless they are some way confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pretty optimistic forecast alright for us snow lovers - Met Eireann don't usually push the boat out that much unless they are some way confident.

they had predicted snow for Friday earlier in the week! looks like a mainly northern event i'd day unless the experts here have further information to say otherwise. seems to a be a lot of chopping and changing in the models. what we need is a polar low coming south which is fairly remote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

I'm going away for six nights on Saturday - so worried now that I'll either:
    a - miss the snow!
    b - the snow will arrive on Friday/Saturday and my flight will be cancelled.

As much as I LOVE the snow - I'm not missing Vegas for anything!

they had predicted snow for Friday earlier in the week! looks like a mainly northern event i'd day unless the experts here have further information to say otherwise. seems to a be a lot of chopping and changing in the models. what we need is a polar low coming south which is fairly remote!

Well yes but now they are using the words "high probability" and "significant accumulations" whereas last week they were only saying a possibility of a "spell" of snow - whatever that means!:D

Anyway the fact that they aren't mentioning where yet gives me hope:pac:

secrecy_ie wrote: »
    a - miss the snow!

I doubt your flight will be cancelled! Have a great time in Vegas!:)

Well yes but now they are using the words "high probability" and "significant accumulations" whereas last week they were only saying a possibility of a "spell" of snow - whatever that means!:D

Anyway the fact that they aren't mentioning where yet gives me hope:pac:

well i hope they are right as much as you do! the mention of snow is better than just rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi guys....

I'm not sure how good this site is..Acuweather.com but they are not predicting anything like snow for next weekend...

For Saturday night,,they have Cork at 10 degrees during the day,and 5 degrees at night.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=Cork&metric=1

Is this site actually any good?

Any better or worse than the forecasters here??

• Advertisement

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Hi guys....
    I'm not sure how good this site is..Acuweather.com but they are not predicting anything like snow for next weekend...

For Saturday night,,they have Cork at 10 degrees during the day,and 5 degrees at night.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=Cork&metric=1

Is this site actually any good?

Any better or worse than the forecasters here??

In general I don't think Acuweather is held in very high regard around here:pac: I would say keep an eye on here and with Met Eireann - that's just me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Thanks leahyl....

I have a good intrerest in the weather,,,etc...

Have My own barometer here..(Argos job,,few years old now) but it only seems to tell the weather as it happens...:o

I don't really want snow,or ice....Not yet anyway.....Would prefer if it would hold off till the kids are finished for the holidays..

Have a big feckin hill to try and get down in the mornings....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't like to burst bubbles but I can't see anything worth talking bout for Sat night.Don't know why ME are even giving it a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »
    Don't like to burst bubbles but I can't see anything worth talking bout for Sat night.Don't know why ME are even giving it a mention.

Probably because the ECM is showing colder uppers than the GFS for late Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Nope checked fax charts and ECM shows warm sector.
    184042.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

In general I don't think Acuweather is held in very high regard around here:pac: I would say keep an eye on here and with Met Eireann - that's just me though!

And almost everybody else here, Accuweather forecasts update with every GFS run, and we all know how much that chops and changes. I lost faith in Accuweather after the first week of discovering it back in 2005, the only thing I liked about it was reading Joe Bastardi's blog but now he's disapeared so needless to say, I don't bother with it any more, and besides, who needs Bastardi when we have our very own legend here, who's name I don't even have to mention;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I agree Red. I also take what Maq says about the ECM which Met Eireann pays most attention to. Saturday's setup on the ECM does differ a bit from the GEFS, JMA and GEM. UKMO is a little colder than GEFS but only enough to see snow on high ground in north and east Ulster as well as north Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Im happy with this for Friday evening! :D

CROSSES FINGERS ! :)

184044.png

184045.png

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Im happy with this for Friday evening! :D

CROSSES FINGERS ! :)

184044.png

184045.png

seems to stop around limerick though! typical...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sorry if I am coming to the party late but just seen this from met.ie
    " But rain will spread from the west on Saturday night with a high probability of snow overnight and some significant accumulations possible. Further wintry showers following on Sunday." :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

seems to stop around limerick though! typical...

Ye .. snow out ur back garden and clear blue skies out the front! haha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

I see the north east will miss it. Why is that I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

looking good for snow for friday nite and early saturday in the whest on 06 GFS run
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snowforecast;page=4;type=winter;ct=31758~Galway;sess=#forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nope checked fax charts and ECM shows warm sector.
    184042.gif

Talking about Saturday though, there is still -6 uppers on the east coast at 0am Sunday so for Saturday evening/night before then is probably what they are talking about, not after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Interesting few days ahead
    Alert for NI
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html
    Yellow alert for Wind
    Issued at - 06 Dec 2011, 13:44
    Valid from - 08 Dec 2011, 06:00
    Valid to - 09 Dec 2011, 12:00

Winds will increase during Thursday afternoon and evening. The public should be aware that winds are likely to becoming strong enough to cause some local disruption to travel services, and possibly some structural damage to buildings. On Friday morning winds will tend to ease from the west.

Presently Northern Scotland looks likely to experience the strongest winds.

Heavy rain and hill snow are additional hazards that will accompany the strengthening winds. There is also a low risk of coastal flooding on North Sea coasts during Friday.

Yellow Alert for Snow

Issued at - 06 Dec 2011, 13:44
    Valid from - 08 Dec 2011, 18:00
    Valid to - 09 Dec 2011, 23:59

Snow showers are expected late on Thursday and through Friday. The public should be aware that these will be heavy at times, and may give significant accumulations that could disrupt travel. Gale or severe gale force northwesterly winds will accompany the snow showers, perhaps leading to drifting over high ground, but these winds will slowly moderate during Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Full moon on Saturday as well. A continuation of strong winds and heavy rain/sleet/snow could result in coastal flooding or estuarial flooding in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Come on snow pay a visit to the south east this weekend !

Oh I'm so excited for all those that are going to get snow!:pac: Cameras at the ready - I want to see pics!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

secrecy_ie wrote: »
    a - miss the snow!

You don't love snow enough:( A true snow lover would cancel their holiday:pac:

it's strange Met Eireann using the words high probability of snow this far out, it could easily turn out to be a all rain event. Perhaps we are corrupting them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

You don't love snow enough:( A true snow lover would cancel their holiday:pac:

it's strange Met Eireann using the words high probability of snow this far out, it could easily turn out to be a all rain event. Perhaps we are corrupting them.

or perhaps darkman works for them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement