Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You don't love snow enough:( A true snow lover would cancel their holiday:pac:

it's strange Met Eireann using the words high probability of snow this far out, it could easily turn out to be a all rain event. Perhaps we are corrupting them.

i think someone new has joined met eireann and is writing their early morning outlook forecasts..snow for friday earlier in the week and now this bold saturday prediction..i hope they are right but hard to see anything very widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ironside

How likely is it to be snowing in Galway over the weekend. Wheelchairs and snow are a very bad mix as I know to my cost. Any information would be gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ironside wrote: »
    How likely is it to be snowing in Galway over the weekend. Wheelchairs and snow are a very bad mix as I know to my cost. Any information would be gratefully received.

Reading Mt's forecast he is going for Thursday into Friday and just a mention of sleet on Saturday, Check his daily forecast and it will give you a good idea because between now and Saturday things will change, At the moment the met would be right about Saturday but this is guarantee to change, The models are really not performing especially the GFS, The Ecm and Ukmo are performing better. Here a few of the charts for Saturday from the GFS and Ecm.

gfs-1-90.png?6

ECM0-96.GIF?06-12

ECM0-120.GIF?06-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

i think someone new has joined met eireann and is writing their early morning outlook forecasts..snow for friday earlier in the week and now this bold saturday prediction..i hope they are right but hard to see anything very widespread.

I know Gerry Murphy didn't write that anyway! He's the most reluctant to use the word snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

esposito wrote: »
    I know Gerry Murphy didn't write that anyway! He's the most reluctant to use the word snow.

You can almost see the beads of sweat forming on his forehead whenever he mentions snow which isn't often:pac: It's like he's thinking "God I hope I'm right with this otherwise I'll be burnt at the stake by those boardsies!":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Gritting the roads down here in Wexford town today.

No idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Have a big feckin hill to try and get down in the mornings....;) .

Like this one?

184067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

great to see this winter forum up and running again. What an epic month or two that was last year. I remember strolling through St. Stephens Green on Christmas Eve last year, ducks walking across the frozen pond and everything covered in a thick blanket of snow. -8 degrees when I strolled through town early that morning. Then waking up to about a foot of snow on Christmas day, incredible...............bring on the sneachta!

gbee wrote: »
    Like this one?

184067.jpg

Bakers Road!:D

I see a lot of the familiar names are on here again.........that said.........where is weathercheck? maybe skiing in the Wicklow mountains. Those mountains seem more reliable than some of the alps in recent years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of wind on the cards on the coming week or so.

should there be a thread set up on this or is everyone posting wind predicitons here?

pauldry wrote: »

should there be a thread set up on this or is everyone posting wind predicitons here?

Would the wind cause blizzard conditions in some places I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Would the wind cause blizzard conditions in some places I wonder?

they have warnings for scotland out..depends how far north the low system goes and the atlantic air mixing in as far as i have read. i think we are safe enough in cork anyway.

they have warnings for scotland out..depends how far north the low system goes and the atlantic air mixing in as far as i have read. i think we are safe enough in cork anyway.

Oh i have no doubt we are:mad::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Indeed. Today's warning from Met Eireann:

Gale or strong gale southwest to west winds developing this evening and tonight on all coasts of Ireland and the Irish Sea and occasionally reaching storm Force 10 on coasts from Rossan Point to Malin Head to Fair Head

Just a breeze for us weesties :D

we're not safe in sligo!

well we're safer than Malin.

If you live there you may as well give the house keys to NAMA

1000 posts

THERES A BLIZZARD ON THE WAY

6 ft of snow in every part of Ireland guarenteed.

Well I had to write something exciting

Met Eirean just updated website, no real change there and still could be looking good for Saturday night ! :cool:

"Friday will be cold with lighter winds and highest temperatures of just 3 to 7 degrees. There'll be sunny spells and scattered showers these mainly in the west and north. Some will fall as sleet or snow in north Connacht and Ulster, especially on high ground. There'll be a sharp frost on Friday night. Saturday will be cold and mostly dry. But rain will spread from the west on Saturday night with a high probability of snow overnight and some significant accumulations possible. Further wintry showers following on Sunday."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The potential for snowfall in Ulster exists but I reckon the snow we saw on Sunday night into Monday morning will be as bad as it will get on Friday and Saturday. It's a similar setup at this stage but one that could chance either way in the run up. At this stage, I would have to say that fast moving and occasionally heavy wintry showers will affect the NW and N on Thursday night into Saturday morn and that any snowfall on Sat night will be restricted to high ground in Ulster.

1000 posts

THERES A BLIZZARD ON THE WAY

6 ft of snow in every part of Ireland guarenteed.

Well I had to write something exciting

:)

I was keeping my 2,000th post for the weather forum when i had something exciting to post seen as this is where almost half of my total posts are but then i forgot and posted in the gambling forum :mad:

Maybe next year i'll have my 3,000th post for a blizzard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The potential for snowfall in Ulster exists but I reckon the snow we saw on Sunday night into Monday morning will be as bad as it will get on Friday and Saturday. It's a similar setup at this stage but one that could chance either way in the run up. At this stage, I would have to say that fast moving and occasionally heavy wintry showers will affect the NW and N on Thursday night into Saturday morn and that any snowfall on Sat night will be restricted to high ground in Ulster.

Boo! boo sucks! REALLY hoping for just a few flakes - just to look up at the lampost and see them gently floating onto a white silent world.......ah.....;)

baraca wrote: »
    :)

then i forgot and posted in the gambling forum :mad:

What did you say "I bet you it won't snow Friday"?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

No doubt the north west will get snow and rain in south east. We're used to it at this stage lol

What did you say "I bet you it won't snow Friday"?

lol no something about a horse!

baraca wrote: »
    lol no something about a horse!

Did Snow Blizzard win the 3:30 @ Ascot?

rhonin wrote: »
    Did Snow Blizzard win the 3:30 @ Ascot?

No, some 'models' ran on to the course and got in Snow Blizzards' way ensuring he didn't finish the race.

Incidentally, the snow cover charts (latest GEFS output) are as follows.

uksnowdepth.png
    uksnowdepth.png
    uksnowdepth.png

No, some 'models' got in Snow Blizzards' way ensuring he didn't finish the race.

Yeah I think Jet Stream actually came first!

That storm passing over Scotland on Thursday night and into Friday has intensified a little

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

You can see it by selecting see level pressure in the above link.

Bitterly cold winds with wintry showers in the the n and nw will sweep in after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

only one wrote: »
    No doubt the north west will get snow and rain in south east. We're used to it at this stage lol

:( so not fair ;(

• Advertisement

yes fair,

we get all the rain in Summer for you guys so we desrve schnoooooooo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement