Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thats a fairly serious lookin storm for Scotland and NE England on the 12Z GFS.

90-100 mph gusts possible there.

Could be some serious blizzards on high ground in Scotland too if that came off.

The track is considerably further south from the 06Z though so a lot of uncertainly there.

Edit : Correction! Got my old storms mixed up. 125th anniversary of the 8 Dec 1886 storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

only one wrote: »
    No doubt the north west will get snow and rain in south east. We're used to it at this stage lol

It's not really snow we are getting. So far it's been hailstones and sleet that's leaving icy road conditions. Hardly something to be smug about:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Thats a fairly serious lookin storm for Scotland and NE England on the 12Z GFS.

90-100 mph gusts possible there.

Could be some serious blizzards on high ground in Scotland too if that came off.

The track is considerably further south from the 06Z though so a lot of uncertainly there.

Trivia alert, it will be on the day of the anniversary of Night of the Big Wind.

The Night of the Big Wind (Irish: Oídhche na Gaoıthe Móıre) was a severe European windstorm which swept without warning across Ireland on the night of January 6 - January 7, 1839, causing severe damage to property and several hundred deaths; 20% to 25% of houses in north Dublin were damaged or destroyed, and 42 ships were wrecked.[1] The storm attained a very low barometric pressure of 918 hectopascals (27.1 inHg) and tracked eastwards to the north of Ireland, bringing winds gusts of over 100 knots (185 km/h, 115 mph) to the south of the island. At the time, it was the most damaging Irish storm for 300 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

over 100 knots (185 km/h, 115 mph) to the south of the island. At the time, it was the most damaging Irish storm for 300 years.

And since being misrepresented as hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Night of the Big Wind (Irish: Oídhche na Gaoıthe Móıre) was a severe European windstorm which swept without warning across Ireland on the night of January 6 - January 7, 1839, causing severe damage to property and several hundred deaths; 20% to 25% of houses in north Dublin were damaged or destroyed, and 42 ships were wrecked.[1] The storm attained a very low barometric pressure of 918 hectopascals (27.1 inHg) and tracked eastwards to the north of Ireland, bringing winds gusts of over 100 knots (185 km/h, 115 mph) to the south of the island. At the time, it was the most damaging Irish storm for 300 years.

Yeh I got the storms mixed up! Fixed the post now. :pac:

I meant this one.

archives-1886-12-8-12-0.png

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.4970136303/abstract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just watched Met E forecast after the news, not a mention of snow, Saturday will be a lovely sunny day countrywide with a hard frost and showers on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I have to say I'm more than a little baffled about this significant snow accumulation potential for Saturday night. I think ME may have forgotten to insert "on high ground" because I can't for the life of me see how there will be much at low levels. Yes it should be cold during the day Saturday ahead of an approaching warm front, but not cold enough for snow, except for above a couple of hunderd metres in the northwest.

But they're the professionals so I don't doubt they see something that we don't. I'd just love to know what!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What did mt say for sat night?

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What did mt say for sat night?

SATURDAY ... Severe frost to start, lows -4 C on average, then partly cloudy to sunny, cool, highs 2-5 C. Much less windy.

SUNDAY ... Cloudy, showers turning to periods of rain, may begin as sleet in higher parts of north, lows near 2 C and highs near 8 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

www.met.ie
    Issued at 06 December 2011 - 17:00
    Weather Advisory
    Very windy tonight in Ulster and Connacht. Westerly winds will increase this evening and overnight with mean wind speeds of 50-60 km/h and gusts of 100-120 km/h, highest in coastal areas.

valid 2100hrs/6/12/2011 to 1200hrs/7/12/2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely no mention of significant accumulations of snow from Evelyn just now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You would think someone in met eireann would have changed their forecast earlier for sat night. I think someone got us confused for Scotland this morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Evelyn gave both Saturday and Sunday on the forecast but not Saturday night.They must not be to certain at all yet.We could get a storm before all that yet-hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Evelyn gave both Saturday and Sunday on the forecast but not Saturday night.They must not be to certain at all yet.We could get a storm before all that yet-hopefully!!

To be honest they haven’t a clue and which isn’t there fault as the models keep changing, anyway here is the 18z for Sunday morning, Take with a grain of Salt:)

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Okay, own up - what boardsie snow lover hacked the met.ie site??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

in all fairness lads it does seem that the wind will be the big factor over the next week rather than the snow some serious winds forcast thursday and then again next monday/ tuesday. if we got the snow with that now that would be epic:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Must've been owenc. Significant accumulations, eh, ME?

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    Okay, own up - what boardsie snow lover hacked the met.ie site??? :D

Darkman did say yesterday he'd be gone for a few days..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

It's a funny one alright. Most charts do have an occlusion crossing Ireland on Saturday night alright but doesn't look particularly active at this stage. More cold rain, maybe sleet on high ground I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Su Campu wrote: »
    Darkman did say yesterday he'd be gone for a few days..... :pac:

ha ha yeah its defo darkman he loves to stir things up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I can just see Darkman sliding down a wire with lazer beams all around in the met office.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 5 : THE BLIZZARD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Interesting forecast just now from Evelyn, not sure why there's an in depth forecast at 1am but anyway! Down to -5C over the north on Friday night with snow showers.

No mention of anything for Saturday night so I guess the confusion will continue but I think its safe to say we won't see any snow looking at the charts

Also gave a warning for damaging storm force winds on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

since when does anyone beleive anything that met.ie forecast for the northwest ? they are a complete waste of time and rarely get the weather right up here (ok apart from wind they seem to manage that )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

is there any chance of any snow for us in the south??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Never! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nice to see some tabloids saying as far south as Birmingham to get 4 inches over thursday/friday.

Will this come towards Dublin at all?

Kinda hope not, as have plans for the weekend.

Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Nice to see some tabloids saying as far south as Birmingham to get 4 inches over thursday/friday.
    Thks

That's just sick !! How dare they hack Evelyn's phone ! Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

doesnt seem to be any mention of snow on met eireann's website now for the weekend, says it'll be wet, windy and cold with possible wintry showers. which probably means we'll be snowed under by sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

MT promising snow in his forecast too. Did Darkman hack his too.

Think hail will continue here in NW no snow though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Highly unlikely. There is no significant snow risk for anywhere outside of nw and northern counties. Even then most accumulating snow will occur on high ground. There very well could be some sizeable accumulations in these parts. The potential for widespread snowfall on Sat night, as posted here and on Met.ie, is minimal to say the least. The eastern half of Ulster and northern Leinster may see some sleety snow for a while with snow on hills.

I am looking forward to Tuesday night and Wednesday i.e. the aftermath of next week's storm which should drag down cold air and widespread wintry showers. The same applies to a lesser extent on Sunday but the potential for snow may not be as great it will be midweek next week. A long time to go between now and the latter though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement