Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I know we've plenty of weather to get through between now and this -

Next Tuesday's storm progged very close NW coast - gusts close to 80mph over central and southern areas. Still a long way out, but one to watch

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=boen&HH=144&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know we've plenty of weather to get through between now and this -

Next Tuesday's storm progged very close NW coast - gusts close to 80mph over central and southern areas. Still a long way out, but one to watch

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=boen&HH=144&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

Looks good:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Bugger, I'll be in London tomorrow, probably missing one of the last chances of chasing in Ireland before moving abroad...

Anyways, here's what Met Office say about NI for tomorrow/Friday:
    Issued at - 06 Dec 2011, 16:45
    Valid from - 08 Dec 2011, 18:00
    Valid to - 09 Dec 2011, 23:59

Snow showers are expected late on Thursday and through Friday. The public should be aware that these will be heavy at times, and may give significant accumulations that could disrupt travel. Gale or severe gale force northwesterly winds will accompany the snow showers, perhaps leading to drifting over high ground, but these winds will slowly moderate during Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ANyone care to guess a reason why net weather's snow potential page hasnt any chance of snow forecasted for Saturday?.... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Sorry to disappoint you all but I don't think there will be much snow at all this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

think this thread is gonna get swept aside from the upcoming storms over the next week its seems its all about the wind next week not the snow.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sorry to disappoint you all but I don't think there will be much snow at all this winter

This is your own opinion? or based on something you read online?

howlinwolf wrote: »
    think this thread is gonna get swept aside from the upcoming storms over the next week its seems its all about the wind next week not the snow.;)

There is no snow of note for the vast majority of the country, just northern and northwestern counties for a time on Friday/Sat.

Next Wednesday poses a more widespread risk for snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Unless your M.T. Cranium in disguise I am not worried :D

Met UK have added a snow warning now for NI on Saturday.
    Its hard to keep up with all the chopping and changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

snowing here at lower level after a rainy day !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

snowing here at lower level after a rainy day !

Where exactly? :)

KNOCK AIRPORT(P) W 12 Gust 26 RECENT SNOW 2 92 0.4 1014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Saturday looks to be a very cold, crisp sunny day for Dublin with a max temp of 3 degrees :D There won't be snow but at least it'll be cold and sunny. Perfect for a nice long walk:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would advise that snow may develop rapidly mid-day tomorrow as cold air will enter the circulation during explosive cyclogenesis (while pressures are falling rapidly to north of Ulster) and with maximum convective potential ... some parts of north Connacht and all of Ulster, bordering counties of Leinster would be at risk for seeing 5-15 cms of snow in streamers from about noon in west (3 p.m. east Ulster) to about midnight-0300h or somewhat beyond in east.

Some flurries are likely to survive longer and reach parts of the east, central and south east, and also there will be more marginal conditions further south on the west coast to allow some snow in places.

I'll post on the wind potential in the other storm thread but some of this snow could be accompanied by strong gusts. The way streamers often work, though, the heaviest streamers create their own wind meso-scale features and so you tend to get bands of strong wind separated by heavy snow. Thunder-snow seems quite likely in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Would advise that snow may develop rapidly mid-day tomorrow as cold air will enter the circulation during explosive cyclogenesis (while pressures are falling rapidly to north of Ulster) and with maximum convective potential ... some parts of north Connacht and all of Ulster, bordering counties of Leinster would be at risk for seeing 5-15 cms of snow in streamers from about noon in west (3 p.m. east Ulster) to about midnight-0300h or somewhat beyond in east.

Some flurries are likely to survive longer and reach parts of the east, central and south east, and also there will be more marginal conditions further south on the west coast to allow some snow in places.

I'll post on the wind potential in the other storm thread but some of this snow could be accompanied by strong gusts. The way streamers often work, though, the heaviest streamers create their own wind meso-scale features and so you tend to get bands of strong wind separated by heavy snow. Thunder-snow seems quite likely in this scenario.

excited.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Will Mayo see much of that bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

hopefully kilkenny is in line for some snow :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Will Mayo see much of that bad weather?

North and west Mayo will at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Here's hoping Longford sees a bit of action for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

North and west Mayo will at least.

Nice! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

wonder jus how far south some of these flurries are likely to make it ??

will this be similar to some of the snow showers over the past few days like when there coming from the north west they seem to lose there strength pretty quick once they pass over land..?

got some snow on sunday nite although it was very wet snow , still landed on the cars an that...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

excited.gif

Its a very rare occasion were I will burst out laughing, but I have to admit this post has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a while, weathermaiden I salute you :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

martic wrote: »
    Its a very rare occasion were I will burst out laughing, but I have to admit this post has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a while, weathermaiden I salute you :D:D:D

Yes about sums it all up, Lets hope we are not let down this time!!!! Looking forward to some exciting weather.

Will coastal areas have any chance of snow sticking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Once again the people of the real capital will have to sit back with gritted teeth and watch :-( :-P we lose out again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes some snow and blizzard like conditions likely as the storm passes.

Here's the MetOffice forecast

AgE11yKCMAAgmlH.jpg:large

Met eireann don't have any word of snow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Seems to be some very cold uppers as the tail of the storm clears on Friday:

gfs-1-48_aai2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Pangea wrote: »
    Met eireann don't have any word of snow tomorrow.

Ye same on the weather at the end of the six one news on RTE1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement