Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone feel that quake?

• 03-12-2011 7:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

I know to Cantabrians aftershocks are a fact of daily life but todays Picton shake was the first i've felt in Wellington after being here nearly four years and it felt pretty strong. The whole house shook for a good 20 seconds, was a weird feeling!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6081992/Large-earthquake-rattles-both-Islands

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Felt it here in New Plymouth.

Glass of coke swashed back and forth and felt the couch move but very low level...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

My mother didn't feel it at all, and was in Upper Hutt, so close enough to the epicentre.

Surprised it's the first you've felt in 4 years there, although if you happen to be out and about in the car etc, you don't feel them as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah i was sitting at home watching a dvd so I really felt the house and its contents shake and heard the weird thunder like noise from the Earth. Weird sensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sp1kez

yeah, felt the one on saturday alright. That's another experience to tick off the list :-) Heard the rumble first with enough time to go - what was that? Then it felt kinda like being on a boat and getting hit by a small wave. Everything moved at once which was super wierd. Not at all like you see in the movies.

Anyway, they are fairly common all the same. There was one this morning that was much closer but I never felt it.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/latest.html

The one today was much more of a jolt then a long shaking. It felt like someone had backed a truck into our building, just one stiff bump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Wow. Experiencing an earthquake is not something I've ever done, and I can't imagine what it's like. Do you get used to it, or is it terrifying each time?

Glad all are ok over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I know it was only small but it wasn't terrifying at all, if you were in the car of playing sports you probably would not have even noticed it.

I thought it was kinda cool, first quake and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

pclancy wrote: »
    Yeah i was sitting at home watching a dvd so I really felt the house and its contents shake and heard the weird thunder like noise from the Earth. Weird sensation.
    TrueDub wrote: »
    Wow. Experiencing an earthquake is not something I've ever done, and I can't imagine what it's like. Do you get used to it, or is it terrifying each time?

Glad all are ok over there.

Yes you can get use to them!
    Im from 2hours north west of wellington, in a strange way I kinda miss the ones like pclancy explained so well there! :confused::eek::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kiwipower wrote: »
    Yes you can get use to them!
    Im from 2hours north west of wellington, in a strange way I kinda miss the ones like pclancy explained so well there! :confused::eek::cool:

Just outside shakey Palmy, huh :D (The rest of ye .. there's a reason it's called that!)

JustMary wrote: »
    Just outside shakey Palmy, huh :D (The rest of ye .. there's a reason it's called that!)

YUP!
    Im from:
    Halcomb Bunnythorpe Bulls Levin Marton? ;)

Studied in Palmy though!
    Are ye in the Manawatu/Rangitikei yourself?

• Advertisement

Nah, I'm from Wellington.

Got a few rellies in Palmerston though (and my best friend grew up in Marton!)

Nah, I'm from Wellington.

Got a few rellies in Palmerston though (and my best friend grew up in Marton!)

My god and they admit to coming from Marton?
    I almost need my toe nails pulled before I wld admit to it myself!
    Wld you know what national school they went to?
    Its a small town after all! I left there in 1995

kiwipower wrote: »
    My god and they admit to coming from Marton?
    I almost need my toe nails pulled before I wld admit to it myself!
    Wld you know what national school they went to?
    Its a small town after all! I left there in 1995

Discharged? :D

The state one (I'm guessing there's only two?) .. not sure of the name. She's 37 now, left probably 20/25 years ago, to a bit older than you.

Discharged? :D

The state one (I'm guessing there's only two?) .. not sure of the name. She's 37 now, left probably 20/25 years ago, to a bit older than you.

definately discharged! It was either that or sent to the Lake! :eek:

Shes a bit older than me so! :p
    theres where three national schools and then St Matthews (The local catholic school I went too,) then a private boys one as well. They then had one state secondary and to private girls secondarys as well!

Not bad for a tiny little back water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Ooh! Our own wee forum just for NZ!

Haven't felt a proper quake in a wee bit - been hitching around NZ for the last 2 months pretty much, but must say, you do kinda get used to them. Anything over a 5 or 6 gets a bit dodge, it's like shakey rumble shakey rumble fine fine fine, shakey rumble shakey rumble - oh ****, is this about to get bigger, do i need to find a safe place to cover or do - oh cool. it's stopped. ****ing ground, chill teh **** out already, we're over it!

Where are you off hitching to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

pclancy wrote: »
    Where are you off hitching to?

started christchurch, dunedin, invers, nelson, auckland, raglan, hamilton, rotorua, taupo/kinloch, napier, wellington, nelson, christchurch, dunedin, invercargill, dunedin, nelson, shall stay here with mate a coupla days, then back to chch, and back to studying and all that ****e.

long answer short though - ill hitch off to wherever i want to. been such a release of freedom realising that this was a perfectly viable way of transport.

Good on ya! I havent hitched in years but seems like a great way to get around.

There's always a couch here at our place if you're stuck on your travels!

Advertisement