Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a picky eater?

• 03-12-2011 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy AH'ers - a question for ye.

When I was a child I was pretty bad with the picky eating. Wouldn't eat vegetables. Hated onions etc. That has mostly evaporated over time and now I'll eat most foods.

There are still some things I just wouldn't dream of eating. Kidneys and liver are offal the menu. Oysters would make me spew if I even attempted to eat them.

What will you not eat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Cock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Kasabian wrote: »
    Cock

Only hen?

Only hen?

Goose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Howdy AH'ers - a question for ye.

When I was a child I was pretty bad with the picky eating. Wouldn't eat vegetables. Hated onions etc. That has mostly evaporated over time except and now I'll eat most foods.

There are still some things I just wouldn't dream of eating. Kidneys and liver are offal the menu. Oysters would make me spew if I even attempted to eat them.

What will you not eat?

Fava beans and a nice chianti should do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Not really, I eat majority of what's healthy. No sugar, no sweets, no junk food.

• Advertisement

wolf moon wrote: »
    Not really, I eat majority of what's healthy. No sugar, no sweets, no junk food.

I'd love to avoid as much sugar as possible, I find it difficult, I physically crave it.

I'd love to avoid as much sugar as possible, I find it difficult, I physically crave it.

I crave bread. Sandwiches, toast, toasted sandwiches, toasted toast, doughnuts - love that kinda stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Peas, broccoli and cauliflower.
    RANK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Butter beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I'm a good eater. I can appreciate pretty much everything.
    But not beetroot. That's donkey food.
    Unthinkable revolting purple filth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Bloody red and green peppers - and they seem to get thrown into everything these days. At this age I'll just pick them out, but I rather not have to. I don't like lamb, brown meat on chicken/turkey, and I can't stand obvious fat on meat. I don't like the bits in orange juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Veg that has been boiled so long that it's hard to tell where the water ends and the veg begins.

I'm dry retching at the thought, hot slime.....ughhhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i get the "are those 2 heads?" look when people find out that I don't like . . . .cheese :eek:

hate mushrooms, cauliflower and custard too. Other than those, pile the rest on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I guess I'm somewhat a fussy eater. I never would have considered myself one but if I am at other people's houses, they would most likely have trouble cooking for me.
    I don't eat any meat, eggs or milk. I don't mind dishes where eggs/milk is used (although the idea of eating eggs does turn my stomach) but if there's just a boiled egg on my plate and it still looks and tastes like egg...no.
    I like red peppers but hate the others (yellow/orange/green) I love onions but won't eat the very centre of an onion, not sure why as it tastes the same but I don't like it! I like most vegetables except green ones. I don't like potatoes. Don't like bread unless it's a certain brand of wholemeal brown bread but I'll occasionally eat whatever bread the restaurant is serving if I'm out for lunch. I don't like cakes, sweets (any kind of sugar) etc but I'm a sucker for salty things! I also love cheese but I'm picky about that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I'm a good eater. I can appreciate pretty much everything.
    But not beetroot. That's donkey food.
    Unthinkable revolting purple filth.

+1.
    Beetroot is vile! On the 'sweet' side of things, I can't stand marzipan. Other than that, not fussy about my food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

I've lost 3,5 stone, it's been over 2 years since I don't crave anything unhealthy. It's all in your head.
    Eat more fruits to provide natural sugars and soon you will find that eating sweets is just another unhealthy and expensive habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't like

Cheese in any form
    Seafood in any form
    Bananas
    Pasta in any form
    Biscuits

Apart from that, I'l eat anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

When I was young I was a very picky eater but I'm not too bad now. Won't eat raw tomato and cucumber or any kind of nut. Don't really like salad or salad-y type foods. Love a lot of the foods picky eaters don't like, mushrooms, shellfish, fatty meat etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

theteal wrote: »
    hate mushrooms, cauliflower and custard

I don't blame you,

I wouldn't eat that combination either......:p

dee. wrote: »
    I guess I'm somewhat a fussy eater. I never would have considered myself one but if I am at other people's houses, they would most likely have trouble cooking for me.
    I don't eat any meat, eggs or milk. I don't mind dishes where eggs/milk is used (although the idea of eating eggs does turn my stomach) but if there's just a boiled egg on my plate and it still looks and tastes like egg...no.
    I like red peppers but hate the others (yellow/orange/green) I love onions but won't eat the very centre of an onion, not sure why as it tastes the same but I don't like it! I like most vegetables except green ones. I don't like potatoes. Don't like bread unless it's a certain brand of wholemeal brown bread but I'll occasionally eat whatever bread the restaurant is serving if I'm out for lunch. I don't like cakes, sweets (any kind of sugar) etc but I'm a sucker for salty things! I also love cheese but I'm picky about that too.

that is not somewhat fussy, that's full on fussy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

I was once with someone who wouldn't eat anything other than his 10/11 things like margherita pizza [wouldn't eat any other type] easi singles [wouldn't eat any other cheese], yogurts, most fruit. He wouldn't eat ANY veg, salad, potatoes [other than 'chips', wouldn't even eat wedges!], no meat, no fish [except breaded cod].......... Hmm............. Made going out for dinner extremely difficult sometimes.

Not really food but drink-wise I only drink still water (and the occasional juice mixed with vodka when I'm out) and Irish people can not believe it when I say no to a "cuppa tae" It seems to unleash everyone's inner Mrs. Doyle "ah gwan just one cup" "go on sure one cup won't kill ya" "will ya just have one cup"

I don't blame you,

I wouldn't eat that combination either......:p

i just threw up in my mouth a little

theteal wrote: »
    that is not somewhat fussy, that's full on fussy

Lol yeah after I posted and read back over it, I realised how fussy it sounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cauliflower and Parsnip. When it comes to veg - If its white, its shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

Yes, I'm a picky eater.

Anything I can pick up I'll eat.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I don't like... Seafood in any form

I love fish.

I'd order fish more often than not in a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not picky at all really. There's a lot of foods I don't like but I wouldn't be put off if they were on my plate. The only thing I really hate is chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

**** no. I'll try anything. The worst that can happen is you don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I like most foods but cannot stand fruit and never have - even as a child.

I love vegetables though and would often choose the vegetarian option if I am out as I love the taste of them - am not a veggie though.

I'm actually planning on cooking myself a feast today as my flatmate is working and I have the place to myself and a stack of DVDs... maybe I'll get some inspiration on what to cook here, although probably not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I hate your typical 'Irish' vegetables. - Cauliflower, cabbage, turnips etc.

Liver, kidney etc.

Most fish.

**** no. I'll try anything. The worst that can happen is. . . . .

Anaphylaxis shock and death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭CapriSunFun

When I was a kid I was the fussiest eater, my parents couldn't get me to eat anything but tins of sweetcorn for ages.
    I'm not fussy anymore, although I have a weird thing against shepards pie, think it's because I remember loathing it as a child, and being left in the dining room alone to have "a few more bites" or I wasn't allowed to leave the table.
    And tomato soup makes my stomach churn, but thats because when I was younger my little brother threw up on my head after eating tomato soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I will not eat onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'd eat pretty much anything, apart from parsnip, cauliflower and brussels sprouts - horrible little balls of sh!te altogether. Thank god this is the only time of year you regularly see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

am usualy called a picky/fussy eater though do not see it that way.
    have always had a extremely limited diet-waffles [as in the potato type], chicken,fish cakes,fish fingers,pasta,sprouts [believe it or not! we dont all hate em:D],mushrooms,fried potatoes and thats it,excluding stuff like sweets/crisps.
    its both routine and sensory,have always stuck to the same things every day and if it wasnt for people changing it woud be stuck having pasta every day.

hate the texture,smell and taste of a lot of food,especialy strong smelling or liquidy stuff like mayonaise,vegetables, peas, cheese, beans,tomato or brown sauce,curry, soup ...have got a sort of phobia of carrots to as dad used to try and force feed them when was younger.
    am also on a prescribed liquid food called ensure plus [banana flavour] because of being limited as well as the fact had not eaten actual food for a few years until this year,absolutely rank stuff no matter what flavour it is.

people are told they have free will/choice in what they do,so why does this not stretch to eating if are not actualy wasting anything and are just making a choice?
    god knows how many years ago in infant/junior school [oldskool catholic] the dinner ladies were nasty to people who didnt eat all their food,and one was always sat with self;she used to attempt force feeding tomatoes because she knew how difficult was with food,a favourite line of hers was shouting 'there are children in eithiopia who dont get any food....'.
    theyre trying to do sensory desensitization to things like food,but screw that-people who have choices shoud use that right and not suffer because other people in the world arent as well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

i hate onions
    there in bloody everything ,,and even when u ask for a meal even a burger without them you still still end up with them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I can't eat most sauces. Anytime I try I just retch. Good old plain food for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I love fish.

I'd order fish more often than not in a restaurant.

If you love fish that much and happen to be in Sweden at the right time of year (late summer/early autumn), you'll have to try surströmming. This is considered a great delicacy by people from, especially, the northern parts of Sweden and parties are arranged in its honour when the new season's stuff arrives.:cool:

It's a small species of herring, fish about 15 cm long, which comes in largish tin cans. The cans are puffed up and have to be opened outdoors, because some pretty foul-smelling gas hisses out as soon as a can is pierced.

The fish are covered in what looks like a thick coating of viscous, slimy, greenish-yellow snot and are swallowed whole.:eek::eek:

I have eaten them. Drinking a half litre or so of schnapps beforehand made it easier, but I suppose I can now say that I'm not that picky about food.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Cucumber... Even having it in the fridge makes everything else smell like it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I won't eat tripe, not after the one and only time I ever tried to eat it.:o

I don't mind cauliflower or cheese, but cauliflower-cheese is sh1t.

I don't mind fish, but fish-pie is rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I used to be a really fussy eater as a child, it was a battle to get me to eat anything.

Now I eat anything except...

Peppers (can handle green ones, don't like the others)
    Any kind of fat on meat or bacon
    Liver or any organ meats
    Black pudding..never had it but after being told it's made of blood :(
    Coriander. If there's a hint of this stuff in any meal it's ruined for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I won't eat tripe, not after the one and only time I ever tried to eat it.:o

I don't mind cauliflower or cheese, but cauliflower-cheese is sh1t.

I don't mind fish, but fish-pie is rank.

I love cauliflower cheese.:pac:

Tripe doesn't sound too appealing, I'm adding that to my list. Never tried it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Man, yiz are all weirdos, eat some bleedin' veg will yiz. And some oysters, they are the food of Gods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

not a big vegetable fan, just do nothing for me.

id eat any type of meat or fish all day long.

The one big thing i dont like that a lot of people do would be pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I ****ing love onions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

moco wrote: »
    I love cauliflower cheese.:pac:

Tripe doesn't sound too appealing, I'm adding that to my list. Never tried it though!

Here's some that was made earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Bananas are filthy and just plain evil. :mad:

Oysters and Tomatoes - ugh, disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Very picky, don't like the majority of vegetables. Or most fruit (probably down the the texture - don't like oranges, but I'd eat orange flavoured stuff).
    Don't really like potatoes (or chips), but I like them a lot with gravy.
    Don't really like chops.
    Don't like fish that has the layer of skin left on it, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

Shut your mouth & eat your dinner!

• Advertisement
Advertisement