Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piping Ethernet

• 03-12-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

If this is the wrong forum for this, I'm sorry, I couldn't find a better place.

I'm looking to have Ethernet cable piped neatly from my router to a room\rooms in my House with patch panels. I have enough cat6e to pipe to one room.

I just have no idea who I should be contacting to install this.

Can you help me please, Boards?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

An electrician will do that for you no hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

An electrician with structured cabling experience will do it, it is a straight forward job, when you know what you are doing, all you need is a snips and a good punch down tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They'll run the cable, not many electricians know how to crimp, or anything else about networking for that matter. They still cable houses for analog phone systems (loop).

I personally know 2 electricians who've worked on new builds where Ethernet cabling has become commonplace and both confirm that fully crimping and terminating the cables is covered and that any spark worth his salts in this day and age should be able to do it.

Reason I know this is because I'm building myself and have posed the exact same question as the OP myself.

I personally know 2 electricians who've worked on new builds where Ethernet cabling has become commonplace and both confirm that fully crimping and terminating the cables is covered and that any spark worth his salts in this day and age should be able to do it.

Reason I know this is because I'm building myself and have posed the exact same question as the OP myself.

Terminating them isn't what I meant

EIA/TIA 568A or EIA/TIA 568B? Do they know the difference? Or where they're used?
    Very few do, they just follow the colour codes and get them wrong all the time.

• Advertisement

Well one used to work for Smarthomes so I presume he would know the difference yea..

EIA/TIA 568A was outdated by EIA/TIA 568B which in turn is outdated by EIA/TIA 568C no? I sometimes get confused myself. Unless you mean T568A and T568B for terminating standards?

I'd imagine the smarthomes guy knows the difference - maybe not the other guy although I know he has done Cat6 installations in a previous build but no sure how well it performs admittedly.

Well one used to work for Smarthomes so I presume he would know the difference yea..

Well then he's not your average electrician. You're lucky, most have no experience or knowledge in networking and usually just follow colour codes without any clue as to why it's done that way (or even if it's right when doing it)

You always use B, A is only for one side of a crossover which will never be needed in a household situation. Lots of patch panels and ethernet sockets have colour codes for both A and B though, you'd need to know.

Aren't they referred to T568A and T568B though as opposed to EIA/TIA 568A or EIA/TIA 568B? I want to know what I'm asking when it comes to my own build.

Aren't they referred to T568A and T568B though as opposed to EIA/TIA 568A or EIA/TIA 568B? I want to know what I'm asking when it comes to my own build.

Yes and that's the way they're labelled on sockets and patch panels where you only use B. A is only used for one end of a crossover, where you directly connect 2 devices without a switch, a switch will auto negotiate and sort it out to both devices.

Advertisement