Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The loose cannon that is Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I'd pay money to see him shot with a cannon full of his own loose shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why do people even take any notice of what he says.

He's a idiot looking for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

kevmol88 wrote: »
    He just cannot stop. He calls people that throw themselves under trains 'selfish'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/03/jeremy-clarkson-people-trains-selfish?CMP=twt_gu

...and? He is right, suicide is selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Do we really need another thread about this eejit? One is more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Suicide is selfish. He's right on that one.

• Advertisement

What a stupid comment.

What a stupid comment.

Well it is selfish, what do you want to do hand people a medal for doing it.

Which wasn't what he said or meant, he was talking about transport disruption. Even he had the the wit to have some understanding and sympathy for people driven to take their own lives. That means you are even less human than Clarkson. Way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The train driver will know for the rest of his life that he played a part in someones death. It is selfish.

What the **** you talking about?

Just cause life might be rosy for you does not mean it is for others.

Hand them medal? What ****ing planet are you living on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Well, I think he's great.

We need more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The train driver will know for the rest of his life that he played a part in someones death. It is selfish.

As a bit of context, he wasn't talking about it being selfish because of pain and anguish that families and loved ones go through....he said it was selfish because it makes him late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Its Clarkson, he is an ignoramus, I don't understand why anyone would expect any better from him. Don't get me wrong, I love him, read his books, watch Top Gear etc. But that is for entertainment purposes, he has no business having anything to do with any serious commentary because like you said he is a loose cannon. The Beeb should know that by now. Instead now we have listen to everyone loose their minds because he said something they were offended by. I never get this kind if thing really, why do people care what some random person says about some topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

It is selfish. When a person commits suicide all they are thinking about is themselves. They dont even consider their family and the effect their death will have on them.

Obviously this is due to some mental imbalance caused by SEVERE depression so its an excusable selfishness. But it is selfish by definition.

BTW all this crap is to generate publicity so he sells his DVD. Im shocked that people dont realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

He's just a bellowing bore. Take away the bellowing, and all you have is, well, a bore. In real life, too, he's involved in squabbles with his ex-wife and his neighbours on the Isle of Man. I just wish they didn't show so much of that Top Gear sh1te on the BBC Entertainment and Knowledge channels.:):)

What do you want me to say, Suicide is great sport, recommend people to try it, ffs, it's insanely selfish. People who do it have no regard for friends, family or train drivers. (might not be within in their control, but is a selfish act none the less).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

He just cannot stop. He calls people that throw themselves under trains 'selfish'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/03/jeremy-clarkson-people-trains-selfish?CMP=twt_gu

They are.

Could you imagine driving a train and having that happen to you?

Since moving to London I've heard countless instances of this both on National Rail services and on the Underground. Within a period of 3 days I heard of about 3 instances of this happening. One disrupting my own commuting and 2 on other lines. More than likely there were way more attempts that I wouldn't have heard of.

I understand that chronic depression is severe and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. However, this depression is not an excuse to potentially traumatise someone else in the process.

(might not be within in their control, but is a selfish act none the less).

Make up your mind. Or maybe just stop talking bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Stewart Lee satirized the politically incorrect bravado act really well/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    He's just a bellowing bore. Take away the bellowing, and all you have is, well, a bore. In real life, too, he's involved in squabbles with his ex-wife and his neighbours on the Isle of Man. I just wish they didn't show so much of that Top Gear sh1te on the BBC Entertainment and Knowledge channels.:):)

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/06/16/pranksters-find-clarkson-asleep-in-the-sun/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Completely agree with him, There plenty of ways to top yourself that don't interrupt the lives of thousands of people and that doesn't involve having a train driver know for the rest of his life he killed someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

get in there clarkson,he loves a good rant,perhaps he is aiming to get sacked by the BBC so he can get a bigger wage with ITV?
    it is clear he doesnt understand train suicides,and sod the commuters being late-its the train drivers who are the most effected,having known one who gave up the job due to a lady jumping in front of his cab.
    drivers often end up mentaly ill as a result.
    its a hard one though as suicidal people usualy dont have the thinking to say its not right to afflict others in the same way.

if are able to say suicide is selfish,it means are of stable mental capacity to think,however people who are genuinely suicidal lack the mental capacity to think about the impact suicide may have on other stuff.
    mental illness can cause such unberable agony or issues which become the sole focus of the person-they are blind to the outside,its a very different perception for people not in that frame of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha! You fell for it, he said that on Wednesday along with the public servants should be shot troll, but the Guardian have it in for Clarkson so they are stringing this out as long as they can. Its worth countless ad hits and page
    impressions for the website which is loosing a tonne of money.

No one should be fooled the Guardian needs Clarkson to generate traffic just as Clarkson needs a bit of pre Christmas DVD publicity (he must have several million quids worth by now). Utterly cynical exercise by all parties including the BBC and the One Show with whom he discussed the jokes before they went on air.

Everyone knows what they are doing (except the silly bint from UNISON who liked JC to Gadaffi who really did have people shot in front of their families)

Completely agree with him, There plenty of ways to top yourself that don't interrupt the lives of thousands of people and that doesn't involve having a train driver know for the rest of his life he killed someone.

Yes, because that is the kind of thought process that suicidal people will have.

I never use rolly eyes but i am quite tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Clarkson says what people say around their mates but on TV. He is the media's wet dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Hogzy wrote: »
    It is selfish. When a person commits suicide all they are thinking about is themselves. They dont even consider their family and the effect their death will have on them.

Obviously this is due to some mental imbalance caused by SEVERE depression so its an excusable selfishness. But it is selfish by definition.

BTW all this crap is to generate publicity so he sells his DVD. Im shocked that people dont realise this.

As someone who has had three close people commit suicide i would like to know how you know what they were thinking?

Do you know or understand what it feels like to put a gun to your head? A noose around your own neck and go through with it?

People who commit suicide are feeling things that we will never feel or understand,how someone who hasn't killed themselves can define this is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

"I have the deepest sympathy for anyone whose life is so mangled and messed up that they believe death's icy embrace will be better," he said.

"However, it is a very selfish way to go because the disruption it causes is immense. And think what it's like for the poor train driver who sees you lying on the line and can do absolutely nothing to avoid a collision."

He's absolutely spot on there tbh.

I hate when people say that suicide is selfish; if you're really at the point where you're beyond all hope and nothing could possibly make you want to stay alive, then you should be able to take your own life without being labelled selfish for it. BUT if you do want to end your life, you should at least do it in such a way that other people (strangers) won't suffer because of it. Why potentially traumatise a train driver for life and cause a load of disruption to commuter lines?

So yeah, suicide in general isn't selfish. But doing it by throwing yourself under a train certainly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hogzy wrote: »

Hmm so its not selfish to expect someone who is completely miserable and sees no light at the end of the tunnel to stick around just so as their family won't have to go through their death. It's cruel to expect someone to do that. Do I think everyone who is depressed should kill themselves no, but I do believe that some people are gone too far for help. Depression is like cancer, there are different types, it effects people differently. Anyone who calls suicide selfish clearly has never seen a person at their lowest when they think the world and everyone in it would be better off without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

He's absolutely spot on there tbh.

I hate when people say that suicide is selfish; if you're really at the point where you're beyond all hope and nothing could possibly make you want to stay alive, then you should be able to take your own life without being labelled selfish for it. BUT if you do want to end your life, you should at least do it in such a way that other people (strangers) won't suffer because of it. Why potentially traumatise a train driver for life and cause a load of disruption to commuter lines?

So yeah, suicide in general isn't selfish. But doing it by throwing yourself under a train certainly is.

It can be just as bad for the family member who comes home to find you hanging or covered in vomit from an overdose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

He's completely right though.

If someone is going to commit suicide, why jump in front of a train/bus or whatever and possibly completely traumatise the driver, which can lead to irreparable mental damage?

Not to mention any other people who may be around to witness it.

It's completely selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Whatever about his views on certain suicide techniques.
    "Change the driver, pick up the big bits of what's left of the victim, get the train moving as quickly as possible and let foxy woxy and the birds nibble away at the smaller, gooey parts that are far away or hard to find."

...is a pretty insensitive thing to say

Sonics2k wrote: »
    He's completely right though.

If someone is going to commit suicide, why jump in front of a train/bus or whatever and possibly completely traumatise the driver, which can lead to irreparable mental damage?

Not to mention any other people who may be around to witness it.

It's completely selfish.

Once again, point being completely missed, and i normally expect better of you Sonics.

Which part of a suicidal mindset do you think pays the most attention to logic or reason?

Whatever about his views on certain suicide techniques.

...is a pretty insensitive thing to say

There should be more of this kind of thing. There is a certain glamour attached to suicide that I think needs to be tackled. People, especially teens, should be made aware of the gory aftermath of suicide.

MagicSean wrote: »
    There should be more of this kind of thing. There is a certain glamour attached to suicide that I think needs to be tackled. People, especially teens, should be made aware of the gory aftermath of suicide.

Please explain the glamour, and how you feel it is being attached to suicide.

Genuinely interested in that take on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

As a bit of context, he wasn't talking about it being selfish because of pain and anguish that families and loved ones go through....he said it was selfish because it makes him late.

He also mentioned the driver of the train who has to watch someone fall under it. But you didn't see that bit did you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is it selfish?

I dont know but there's no doubt as we've all seen the devastation it causes family and friends.

To know what is going through somebody's head for them to take their own life is unthinkable for except the few who 'survived' suicide.

Though people that hang themselves does leave me wondering - It's some how symbolic to do it, you have to learn how to tie a rope, you might practice it, and it's sending a message -

Please explain the glamour, and how you feel it is being attached to suicide.

Genuinely interested in that take on it.

Have you ever seen one of those cop shows where they find a person hanging? Probably. Did you know that many people void there bowels when they die this way? Have you ever seen the medical examiner having to remove the rope covered in skin and blood? Doubtful. When it comes to overdoses the person always seems to die peacefully in their sleep but I've rarely seen this in real life. It often seems to be accompanied by a lot of vomit.

And that's without getting into the whole grief aspect of it. The effect on the person who found them is often much worse than is ever shown on tv. I think if people knew what it is really like there would be much fewer suicides, especially among the young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Jeremy Clarkson is a complete numpty.

He puts on this miserable bigot act which isn't funny at all. Ever see him on panel shows such as QI, etc.? He is very quiet and doesn't get much jokes in at all. Either he is intimidated by other comedians because he knows his 'humour' is crap so keeps quiet, or the director doesn't like his humour and cuts it.

dsmythy wrote: »
    He also mentioned the driver of the train who has to watch someone fall under it. But you didn't see that bit did you.

Actually i did.

For what it's worth my father, who worked on the railway for 30 years witnessed the very thing that is under discussion...so i think i understand the gravity of it.

We done here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What do you want me to say, Suicide is great sport, recommend people to try it, ffs, it's insanely selfish. People who do it have no regard for friends, family or train drivers. (might not be within in their control, but is a selfish act none the less).
    :confused:

Just because people object to your assessment of suicide, clearly something you have no understanding of, doesn't mean they expect you to say it's great or hand a medal to someone who survives an attempt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Actually i did.

For what it's worth my father, who worked on the railway for 30 years witnessed the very thing that is under discussion...so i think i understand the gravity of it.

We done here?

Everyone reacts different to witnessing it. It will destroy one person's life where it merely affects anothers. Destroying someone elses life is not on.

Some deeply depressed people still find the "logic" to kill themselves well from view. Not everyone directly impacts someone elses life during the actual act. Some are more selfish than others.

I won't share my suicide stories with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Stewart Lee satirized the politically incorrect bravado act really well/

What an unpleasant, hate filled man.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Everyone reacts different to witnessing it. It will destroy one person's life where it merely affects anothers. Destroying someone elses life is not on.

Some deeply depressed people still find the "logic" to kill themselves well from view. Not everyone directly impacts someone elses life during the actual act. Some are more seflish than others.

I won't share my suicide stories with you.

My thing with Clarkson is the guy is a total spanner. I didn't highlight his concern for the train driver because i honestly don't think Clarkson gives a ****. Based of his comments about public transport and those involved with it over the years it doesn't make sense to me that this was said out of any kind of concern, but simply because Clarkson is clever enough to realise he was going to say something retarded and he gave himself some wiggle room by appearing concerned about people when really he was just being a **** looking for more coverage for his next ****ty product.

Like i have said the whole way through this thread, i can appreciate the concept of the selfishness of suicide, but i can't fathom this idea that people are arguing for any kind of logic to the act at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What an unpleasant, hate filled man.

Relax it's only a joke, like what you see on top gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I don't like people who commit suicide being called selfish because using that word usually implies negative feeling towards that person. however I do agree that it is unfair to include a complete stranger in doing it. though as LF keeps pointing out, much of the time there is no plan, and it can almost be a tunnel vision situation where you don't think about what's going on around you, you don't see the people, you don't think of consequences. it's quite frenzied.

there are many different ways to do it, but how many don't involve being found by somebody? that person is surely going to be traumatised too, not even considering the state that your body is in depending on the method.

there are people that consider it selfish just because of the family trauma, and to that all I can say is what they're going to go through afterwards is of similar intensity to what the person who committed suicide will have felt for much of their lives. would you really want your son/daughter/cousin/friend to live that way? you're being selfish for expecting them to stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

have the deepest sympathy for anyone whose life is so mangled and messed up that they believe death's icy embrace will be better," he said.

"However, it is a very selfish way to go because the disruption it causes is immense. And think what it's like for the poor train driver who sees you lying on the line and can do absolutely nothing to avoid a collision."

He has a point actually...Imagine being a train driver and seeing someone die like that, in front of you, from the train you were in control of.

Would mess with my sleeping pattern anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I've read somewhere that guys who glorify cars and speed are actually just trying to acquire a big hard steel penis to compensate for their own inadequacy in that department.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And that may explain why Clarkson is such a blustering, bellowing big lout, who is really a cringing little fag (in the UK public school sense of the word) at heart.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

How the fcuk did this post get so many thanks so quickly? Are there that many stupid people in AHs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

He's someone that relentlessly speaks his mind in an age and industry where everything said is controlled by political correctness, media spin and marketing.

Do I agree with everything he says? No.
    Do I respect him for saying it as he sees it? Yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement