Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The loose cannon that is Jeremy Clarkson

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

And what would you say if you had a family member with a debilitating illness,who wants to kill themselves? Would you call them selfish?

If it's going to cause grief to that person's friends and family then it would be selfish.

Euthanasia isn't ILLEGAL in Britain for no reason, you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

karma_ wrote: »
    I rest my case.

You actually lost your case.

Daily Mail = very popular.

Guardian = Not very popular and whose readership is in rapid decline. This is due to the fact that most Guardian readers are members of ther BBC and those weird, lefty Islington types.

The reason why the Daily Mail, though, is very popular is because, unlike the lefty newspapers, it actually talks a lot of sense and says what the majority of the people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Batsy wrote: »

Popular doesn't mean it's accurate or good. Big brother is popular. The Xfactor is popular.
    Guardian = Not very popular and whose readership is in rapid decline. This is due to the fact that most Guardian readers are members of ther BBC and those weird, lefty Islington types.

Most Guardian readers are members of the BBC? What in the name of muppetry are you on about?
    The reason why the Daily Mail, though, is very popular is because, unlike the lefty newspapers, it actually talks a lot of sense and says what the majority of the people think.

I believe it's popular because it is full of celebrity bullshit and it plays to the fears of little-Englanders.

Just... just...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

There is a reason it's referred to as 'The Daily Fail'. There is no comparison between that paper and 'The Guardian' (not that I read it)

One is a respected newspaper (liberal bias notwithstanding) the other is a complete rag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Sorry to bump this thread, but to be honest I forgot all about it after I posted and didn't realise so many people here decided to make assumptions about me, question my intelligence and my views on mental health because I stated that suicide is selfish until someone pointed it out to me.

1) Anyone who has read the depression thread knows that I myself have bipolar and know too well the dangers of depression and how those who are contemplating suicide are not in a right state of mind. I have been in that postion too many times, have come close to taking my own life and have isolated myself due to these thoughts. So excuse me for a minute if I take some of your comments abit ****ing personal while making this response. I'll try give you the benefit of the doubt to anyone who labeled me as idiotic or in need of a ****ing clue.

2) Now that that is out the way, allow me to explain. It is selfish to take your own life, I will still stand by that comment. No, it's not the nicest thing to say about someone in that situation or mind set, but I had it said to me and eventually it did hit home and opened my eyes to how selfish an act is. What reenforced it was loosing a friend to suicide, in the same manor that Clarkson was actually discussing ironicly enough. Seeing his family left with such pain and sorrow on their lives, because he took his life instead of opening up and trying to get the help that he needed, you cannot help but feel and see it as a selfish act.

Yes, I know that noone is 100% aware of what they are actually doing, and I can see how someone can say that using the label selfish isn't an easy one to take on board. But it still stands, when someone takes their life they are making the decision to end their own suffering, and leave others with a bigger grief.

I also want to make it very clear that I am not saying those who take their lives are bad people or deserve to be labeled as such. They are ill, they need help and they should be encouraged to speak up about their well being. We have a long long long way to go in order to get to that stage in Ireland unfortunatly.

I just wanted to get that off my chest, because it really pissed me off to have people instantly jump down my throat and claim I need to "get a ****ing clue" when it comes to mental health.

Now, I would however like to apologise to anyone who took offence to me stating suicide is selfish and think that I'm labeling people in this state of mind as being 100% aware of the effects of their actions or that they are bad people in any way shape or form. I know some will find it hollow since I still stand by my believe that it is a selfish act, and there is little I can do about that. I just hope you understand my thought process abit better.

Sorry if this seems like an angry rant, as I said, some comments here really hit a nerve with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

you think popularity = quality?

lol. keep banging your head off the wall..

certainly popular with angry little englanders like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I sincerely hope that this is some form of sarcasm, because if anyone truly believes that the daily mail "talks a lot of sense" then I've lost all hope for humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

He's a banned racist troll.

I sincerely hope that this is some form of sarcasm, because if anyone truly believes that the daily mail "talks a lot of sense" then I've lost all hope for humanity.

Nope.

He was as serious as cancer - rhythm is a dancer.

See?

Dudess wrote: »
    He's a banned racist troll.

Yeah that's a bit more... to the point. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah that's a bit more... to the point. :)

Britain's answer to George W Bush. How as that?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

I'm sorry but Jeremy Clarkson is great.

Advertisement