Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film & TV as a career change, too risky?

Options
  • 03-12-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm making a career change and I have a choice between film & Tv and another discipline. The other subject is more solid in terms of gaining employment after graduation, but doesn't spark my interest as much as film studies. I've always loved films and the art of film making so its pretty much a dream for me to one day make my own film.
    I have to make this career change and I cant leave it any longer otherwise I'll be trapped in a profession I really dont like. My big concern is my age. Im 36, which I know isnt old in the grand scheme of things, but if I was to study film I'd be 41 when I graduated(start in sept 2012). Would my chances of finding a job in the film industry be poor if I did go through with this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Never too old. I'll give you an example; I did a 3 year Film & TV course and there was a guy in his mid 50s doing the course with us. We graduated two years ago.

I was talking to him earlier today and he has TG4 and Setanta sports both very interested in a documentary he came up with. Looks like TG4 are winning the race at the moment so he'll be heading over to America to shoot it and hipefully have it done before the Summer.

He has two more great ideas after that as well that a few stations might be interested in.

So yeah, you're never too old:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭santana75

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Never too old. I'll give you an example; I did a 3 year Film & TV course and there was a guy in his mid 50s doing the course with us. We graduated two years ago.

I was talking to him earlier today and he has TG4 and Setanta sports both very interested in a documentary he came up with. Looks like TG4 are winning the race at the moment so he'll be heading over to America to shoot it and hipefully have it done before the Summer.

He has two more great ideas after that as well that a few stations might be interested in.

So yeah, you're never too old:)

I was kind of hoping you'd tell me I was out of my mind. Is it mostly contract work in the film industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If you dont have kids and dont intend on having any then go for it.
    If you would like to raise a family then consider something safer maybe so you are more likely to be in a good position to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Don't limit yourself to just film work.

Most people work in both film and TV in Ireland. And for the most part you'll end up working as a freelancer - of course that all depends on what end of the business you get in to.

What could you see yourself doing? Camera work? Production? Editing?

If you dont have kids and dont intend on having any then go for it.
    If you would like to raise a family then consider something safer maybe so you are more likely to be in a good position to do so.

Thanks. No plans for kids, so Im pretty much a free agent.
    Don't limit yourself to just film work.

Most people work in both film and TV in Ireland. And for the most part you'll end up working as a freelancer - of course that all depends on what end of the business you get in to.

What could you see yourself doing? Camera work? Production? Editing?

I've always been obsessed with cinematography, first thing I notice when I watch a film. So primarly would love to be a DP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Get yourself a camcorder and a tripod and go out and start shooting small pieces. I don't even mean short films. A two mintue observtional piece on the local market, or the christmas decorations that are up.

It'll help you with your composition, camera movement etc. I work as a camerman/editor and still do little pieces like for fun. I find they really help keep the creative juices flowing.

Doing something like this will help you see if it's the direction you want to head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I'm hopefully going to go on and do an MA in Production and Direction this September... and I'll be 50 :eek:

Partly I'm doing it because there is so little work around at the moment... and I've been working as a writer in the industry for 20+ years.

You don't go into the profession for security. It's tough. You have to love it.

Some years I earned six figure sums... some barely four figures, but I managed to stay married and bring up three kids.

As advised... get out and start shooting... learn what you want to specialize in... writing / directing / camera / lighting / sound / producing... be passionate and persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Fatboydim wrote: »
    I'm hopefully going to go on and do an MA in Production and Direction this September... and I'll be 50 :eek:

Very interesting. Would you mind telling a bit more about this Masters. Where it is, any link to it. Sounds like something I would be interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 demow

You should keep your job or get another one and just make filmmaking your passion and occupy all your time outside of work. Wasting 3/4 years on a degree where youll learn little, especially courses in Ireland. All the money spent on education should be spend on equipment and just get out there and film film film and maybe over the next few years you might establish yourself as a dop then you can branch out more. Fulltime Film/TV career in Ireland?? NO NO. That should be your only move.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Agreed, film schools teach you to make stuff the same way as other filmmakers. Big problem in this country - too many directors for hire and not enough fresh talents.

Fatboydim wrote: »

Partly I'm doing it because there is so little work around at the moment... and I've been working as a writer in the industry for 20+ years.

You don't go into the profession for security. It's tough. You have to love it.

Some years I earned six figure sums... some barely four figures, but I managed to stay married and bring up three kids.

As advised... get out and start shooting... learn what you want to specialize in... writing / directing / camera / lighting / sound / producing... be passionate and persistent.

What you said is my conundrum in a nutshell: Its the trade of comfort for passion. Kahil Gabrin spoke of this very thing in the Prophet. And everytime I think about playing it safe I think of his words:

"Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral"

I know so many people who've traded comfort for passion and it scares me. They have kids, raise a family and maybe this is what makes the trade less painful, more justifiable?
    demow wrote: »
    You should keep your job or get another one and just make filmmaking your passion and occupy all your time outside of work. Wasting 3/4 years on a degree where youll learn little, especially courses in Ireland. All the money spent on education should be spend on equipment and just get out there and film film film and maybe over the next few years you might establish yourself as a dop then you can branch out more. Fulltime Film/TV career in Ireland?? NO NO. That should be your only move.

Best of luck

This is great information, thanks. The more I hear things like this the better, the more clear a picture I have. Although maybe ignorance is bliss? Maybe you shouldnt think too much about the things you do in life and just do them? I dunno, these are the questions that torment me.......

Advertisement