Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New machine and grinder purchase help

• 03-12-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I am using my basic Krups espresso machine for about a year now, which is decent but to be honest very basic at best. I'm looking to get something a tad more pro, that will get me a better shot and steam milk properly. So based on the advice here im thinking the Gaggia Classic . My last question is what grinder to I want? I'm think a burr grinder, however, do not yet see value in one around the €200 mark.

My max budget is €225 so I think I'll have about 50 ish for a burr grinder, would that be enough?

Thanks for all the help,
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The old mantra that it is better to inest on the grinder side still holds true, a cheap grinder will lead to frustration for you as it'll lead to either a grind not fine enough or consistent enough. You'll most likely end up with your shots under extracted and spurting coffee out of the machine.

If you spend €50-100 on a grinder now it will be dead money in 6 months time.
    You need a decent burr grinder, something like this
    http://coffeeangel.com/shop/baratza-virtuoso/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

macken04 wrote: »
    My last question is what grinder to I want? I'm think a burr grinder, however, do not yet see value in one around the €200 mark.

I was exactly of the same mindset as that when i bought my setup, then I spent €400 on a Vario a few weeks after buying my cheap grinders.
    I bought a Solis 166 clone for doing espresso and filter, but it was terrible at espresso but good for filter, I bought an MC2 for espresso but it was only ok at espresso, the settled on the Vario which was excellent for espresso but poor for filter.

Buying a better machine with a cheap grinder may only give you the same or a slightly improved level of coffee that you have now.
    A decent grinder will improve your current setup and let you upgrade your machine in the long run.

For an extra tenner (And still within your budget) you could get an Aeropress and a bag of coffee too! http://coffeeangel.com/shop/grind-press-gift-set/
    Would give some variation to your drinking choices then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

macken04 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I am using my basic Krups espresso machine for about a year now, which is decent but to be honest very basic at best. I'm looking to get something a tad more pro, that will get me a better shot and steam milk properly. So based on the advice here im thinking the Gaggia Classic . My last question is what grinder to I want? I'm think a burr grinder, however, do not yet see value in one around the €200 mark.

My max budget is €225 so I think I'll have about 50 ish for a burr grinder, would that be enough?

Thanks for all the help,
    Dave

Based on what you are looking for (better shot + steamed milk) I wouldn't rush to purchase a new espresso machine. As Gran Hermano and PPC have pointed out you should invest in a decent grinder first, and start buying freshly roasted beans (I'm assuming you haven't been doing this as you are looking to buy a burr grinder).

Steaming milk really is a skill in itself. I've a rancilio silvia and still have major challenges making micro foam. I did a cool course with 3FE earlier this yr but to be honest I use the steam wand so infrequently that I'd lost the knack when i recently tried again.

If you are in Dublin then you should check out 3FE - it sounds like they will be ramping up classes again soon so you could get a foaming lesson from them that you could as easily apply to your krups as you would any machine with a single boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Thanks guys,

So the krups burr grinders etc at around €50 just dont cut it then. Would my best option be to stick with my machine for a tad longer and splash on a grinder?
    I've been looking at cheeper options
    Krups
    De'longhi
    Both are getting strong reviews. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Hi,

I'm also considering one of those De'longhi grinders.
    I got a new Gaggia classic a couple of months ago after my previous krupps machine died after 8 years.

I hear what everyone is saying about investing in a 'proper' grinder but unfortunately I just don't have the cash for it at the moment.

At the moment my setup is a Gaggia Classic + monthly hasbean subscription + nasty blade grinder. Looking to get a cheap burr grinder to do for a year or so until I might be able to get a 'proper' one....

Anyone got one of those De'longhi grinders mentioned above? Are they any good for the money? (60 euros)

Cheers,

LTD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

Can't imagine anyone recommending aforementioned grinders for espresso.
    If the budget just won't manage a decent electric grinder, might be worth considering good hand grinder as a temporary measure. Hasbean (http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Porlex-Ceramic-Burr-Coffee-Grinder.html) says the Porlex hand grinder can go extremely fine (Turkish grind) and some people say that other hand grinders can do the job.
    Pros and cons weighed up at
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71508662
    http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8916

Grinding fine enough for espresso will take a fair bit of effort, however. Worth keeping an eye out for decent used grinders on Adverts.ie, donedeal.ie, ebay etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

I've been on the grinder merry-go-round too often myself: I started off with a gaggia blade and it was terrible, their burr one was no better... then I had an Iberital MC2 which was OK (but really really noisy + it died after 18 months) ... now I have a Vario which is just brilliant for everything (espresso, chemex, press).

The only valid increments are these:

1. Cheap: Porlex (hand) ~€40
    2. Entry level: Baraza Virtuoso ~€200
    3. Quality home-use: Mahlkonig Vario ~€400
    4. Professional: Mahlkonig Tanzania (or similar, Uber etc.) ~€1300+

Every other option should be ignored really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

llatsni wrote: »
    ... then I had an Iberital MC2 which was OK (but really really noisy + it died after 18 months) ...

Sorry to hear the MC2 died. I did say I was selling it because I couldn't stand the noise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Clinker wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the MC2 died. I did say I was selling it because I couldn't stand the noise!

Hardly your fault! It was a superb value grinder, but the noise was too much... so it was on the list for replacement regardless! If anyone wants it for parts/repair they can have it.

Advertisement