Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man feeds live kitten to Burmese Python

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Most responsible snake owners feed frozen/thawed and only frozen/thawed...idiots trying to show off feed live in order to provoke a reaction.

Feed items are euthanised in a humane way and then frozen for snake owners to purchase whether that be mice,rats,gerbils,hamsters,guinea pigs,rabbits.

On one occasion Ive had to feed live with a particular python that wouldnt eat.Live feeding in that case was required and I sought a vets opinion before doing so--it was a case of feed a live mouse or loose a 500+ euro snake.

Once the snake fed once on live food it started to eat frozen/thawed and continued to do so.

The sick **** that posted that video is NOT a responsible snake owner and some users here shouldnt tar all snake owners wuth the one brush.Hes an idiot that should be jailed.

A kitten in my opinion is not a feed item for a snake--there are enough feed items available to buy without having to resort to feeding a kitten.

Hes a sick fook and should be hunted down and jailed.

He should be jailed because you don't consider a pythons kill to be humane? Should muslims and jews be jailed for eating hatal and kosher?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ridiculous.

Why??

As a snake owner myself and having rescued snakes that idiot owners thought were "cool" to live feed only to end up with getting bitten by large pythons in my opinion this bloke should be jailed or fined--...not because it was a kitten but because it was downright cruel.

As I said there are enough prey items available to buy without having to resort to kittens.Even if he didnt have any pet shops near him a python large enough to take a kitten would last for months without food.

Even if he was tight for cash the cheapest prey items start at a euro each--a large rabbit is only 4-5 euros over here so probably cheaper in the UK.

Absolutely no reason to use a live kitten or any live food
    as prey.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

talkinyite wrote: »
    He should be jailed because you don't consider a pythons kill to be euthanasia? Should muslims and jews be jailed for eating hatal and kosher?

So how did we get from a cruel pet owner to Muslims and Jews.

He should be jailed because it was cruel--end of.See my last post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

pockets3d wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that OP is a feline furry.
    Whats weirder about feeding a cat to a python than feeding a cat canned meat that spent its entire life in food factories or a letting it catch a mouse.

Mice and rats are both common enough pets but no one would bate an eyelid at a python or cat killing them.

What the heck is a feline furry? I've never been on 4chan etc. so think of me as a newb to the 'net :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I don't see any problem here.

Non-story tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Why??

As a snake owner myself and having rescued snakes that idiot owners thought were "cool" to live feed only to end up with getting bitten by large pythons in my opinion this bloke should be jailed or fined--...not because it was a kitten but because it was downright cruel.

As I said there are enough prey items available to buy without having to resort to kittens.Even if he didnt have any pet shops near him a python large enough to take a kitten would last for months without food.

Even if he was tight for cash the cheapest prey items start at a euro each--a large rabbit is only 4-5 euros over here so probably cheaper in the UK.

Absolutely no reason to use a live kitten or any live food
    as prey.

Why are kittens any different to "prey items" though?

I genuinely cannot differentiate between a kitten and another mammal. Some people keep rats and mice as pets and may be as equally horrified as some people here are regarding the kitten.

So how did we get from a cruel pet owner to Muslims and Jews.

He should be jailed because it was cruel--end of.See my last post.

Because halal and kosher slaughter isn't considered humane in the western world?

It's only your opinion that a pythons kill is more cruel than an inhalant or injection.

Why are kittens any different to "prey items" though?

There is no difference.Say the kitten was purchased as a frozen food item (in some places you can buy kittens like this--not in Europe or the States though) there wouldnt be an issue.

Its the feeding of LIVE thats the problem--almost all pet snakes will take frozen/thawed and in my opinio if it doesnt it shouldnt be a pet--its too risky.Have you ever tried to get even a 4 ft pythin off someone??Try an 8 foot one--its impossible without 2 people.Feeding live can make the snake think your arm/leg is food even if you are just changing water or cleaning the cage.Its leaving you open to severe injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There is no difference.Say the kitten was purchased as a frozen food item (in some places you can buy kittens like this--not in Europe or the States though) there wouldnt be an issue.

Its the feeding of LIVE thats the problem--almost all pet snakes will take frozen/thawed and in my opinio if it doesnt it shouldnt be a pet--its too risky.Have you ever tried to get even a 4 ft pythin off someone??Try an 8 foot one--its impossible without 2 people.Feeding live can make the snake think your arm/leg is food even if you are just changing water or cleaning the cage.Its leaving you open to severe injury.

So gassing kittens, freezing them and feeding them to snakes is fine, but live feeding not? Your current argument seems to come down to being worried about the safety of the guy feeding the kitten! is this your primary concern? that he may get bitten by his snake later on if he continues to live feed kittens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Listen you obviously know a lot more about the behaviours and eating habits of snakes than I do. If it's a fact that live feeding can make a snake more aggressive then I accept your point but that wasn't what I was arguing against.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

I ate a pussy last night then i let my python at it....feckin great it was:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Skulldigger

People are such hypocrites. If it wasn't a cute and cuddly animal nobody would give a crap.

pH wrote: »
    So gassing kittens, freezing them and feeding them to snakes is fine, but live feeding not?

Exactly--I personally find live feeding horrible as do most snake owners.
    Your current argument seems to come down to being worried about the safety of the guy feeding the kitten! is this your primary concern?

Of course not--its the whole feeding live that I find cruel.In the wild there is no option to the snake but as a responsible snake owner you do have a choice whether to feed live or not.Its an ongoing argument in the snake trade and one that will never be resolved.

that he may get bitten by his snake later on if he continues to live feed kittens?

Not about what type of animal it is.Live feeding can cause more SFEs(stupid feeding errors) than frozen.But the issue here is that in my opinion this bloke was cruel--he had a choice whether to feed live kittens or dead rats and chose a live kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

To all those who think this was cruel,what do you react when hearing about how crocodiles hunt,or komodo dragon,or foxes? Does that sicken you too?

To all those who think this was cruel,what do you react when hearing about how crocodiles hunt,or komodo dragon,or foxes? Does that sicken you too?

only if you throw it in a sun article with a load of buzzwords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Totally disingenuous to compare slaughter of animals for food (a food that animals also eat - should dogs and cats only be fed vegetarian foods?) to a guy luring an animal to a tortuous death and filming it for the lulz.

I don't get how it's hypocritical to find the latter more upsetting than the former - people can't help their emotional responses.

If the story was about a crocodile being tortured to death for the lulz, yeah I'd imagine people would be angered. Only thing is: a crocodile is more equipped to fight back than a kitten is.

Seems like fairly self-righteous arguing for the sake of it tbh. Well done though guys on your ability to be 100% consistent and not swayed in every thought and view you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I love cats so this does upset me a little bit.

But then again, my cousins had a snake which they fed live mice to (well, usually frozen ones but sometimes live mice were cheaper).

I'm not sure where I stand on this, but if he was filming it for amusement he's a sick freak.

Dudess wrote: »
    Totally disingenuous to compare slaughter of animals for food (a food that animals also eat - should dogs and cats only be fed vegetarian foods?) to a guy luring an animal to a tortuous death and filming it for the lulz.

Have you ever read or watched anything on animals and how they hunt? An animal killing another animal for food cannot be counted as torture. What the snake did was natural to him. The only thing unnatural about this is that a kitten wouldn't be part of its natural diet. What happened was essentially natural.only thing that makes this twisted is that someone is getting entertainment out of it. I do agree that the guy that allowed it happen and filmed it could potentially be a danger to other animals.

Well done though guys on your ability to be 100% consistent and not swayed in every thought and view you have.

i try my best

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Skulldigger

I don't get how it's hypocritical to find the latter more upsetting than the former - people can't help their emotional responses.

If the story was about a crocodile being tortured to death for the lulz, yeah I'd imagine people would be angered. Only thing is: a crocodile is more equipped to fight back than a kitten is.

Seems like fairly self-righteous arguing for the sake of it tbh. Well done though guys on your ability to be 100% consistent and not swayed in every thought and view you have.

The reason it made it into the paper is because it was a kitten. There's lots of almost identical videos but it's a chicken or a rat instead of a kitten. There were no articles about that, why? Because people simply aren't as disgusted by certain animals being killed for the lulz as they would be for a cute kitten.

• Advertisement

OneArt wrote: »
    I love cats so this does upset me a little bit.

But then again, my cousins had a snake which they fed live mice to (well, usually frozen ones but sometimes live mice were cheaper).

I'm not sure where I stand on this, but if he was filming it for amusement he's a sick freak.

Or maybe the next david attenborough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well thanks for that. I try to be as consistent as I can on things. I'm not comparing the feeding of a live kitten to the slaughter of animals for human consumption. I am however, making the pretty obvious comparison between that and feeding a live rat or mice to a snake. All three have pain receptors and capacity to feel fear and dread, yet because most people don't see the latter as furry and cute, they don't have a problem with them being fed live to snakes. They claim that it's cruel to feed the kitten to the snake because of the pain it feels, when in reality it's their own pain at seeing such a thing that really motivates them. Their reaction isn't to the plight of the animal per se, or else they'd be as vociferous in their protest against all live feedings, but rather motivated by more selfish concerns, ie how it makes them feel. I don't think that's very consistent, indeed I think it's completely hypocritical.

A snake finding a mouse and guzzling it, a guy luring a kitten into the mouth of a snake = not the same thing.

A snake finding a kitten of its own volition and eating it - not pleasant for the kitten but no human cruelty and the snake merely following its instincts.

I don't understand what's so questionable about people saying this guy is a sadistic bastard... :confused:

Einhard wrote: »
    . Their reaction isn't to the plight of the animal per se, or else they'd be as vociferous in their protest against all live feedings,

Finally--Its the whole live feeding that I have the problem with--all live feeding no matter whether its a mouse or a kitten.

A snake finding a mouse and guzzling it, a guy luring a kitten into the mouth of a snake = not the same thing.

A snake finding a kitten of its own volition and eating it - not pleasant for the kitten but no human cruelty and the snake merely following its instincts.

This^^^^Complete difference in the wild than in captivity--in captivity there is a choice of whether to feed live or not regardless of the species of food prey I find live feeding horrific except in the one circumstance I posted above ie. in the case of a snake thats not eating.

I don't understand what's so questionable about people saying this guy is a sadistic bastard... :confused:

Completely agree-he is a sadistic bastard.

I dont get how you dont see they're the same thing.

If the cat and snake were roaming around the house freely and the snake ate it then,would that be acceptable to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I ate a pussy last night then i let my python at it....feckin great it was:pac::pac::pac:

Did you record it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Have you ever read or watched anything on animals and how they hunt? An animal killing another animal for food cannot be counted as torture. What the snake did was natural to him. The only thing unnatural about this is that a kitten wouldn't be part of its natural diet. What happened was essentially natural.only thing that makes this twisted is that someone is getting entertainment out of it. I do agree that the guy that allowed it happen and filmed it could potentially be a danger to other animals.

I agree that what the snake did was just what snakes do nobodys agruing that but what happened in the video wasn't natural.

The kitten was given to the snake and didn't have a fighting chance like it would, had this happened in the wild. It was infact distracted when its natural instincts hit in.

I agree with you in saying that the guy is a danger to other animals and people like this are potentially dangerous to other people too, I would also say he didn't just let this happen, he made it happen.

The reason it made it into the paper is because it was a kitten. There's lots of almost identical videos but it's a chicken or a rat instead of a kitten. There were no articles about that, why? Because people simply aren't as disgusted by certain animals being killed for the lulz as they would be for a cute kitten.
    You can't blame humans for a certain amount of conditioning affecting us. Cats are domestic pets, rats rarely are. Since the bubonic plague, rats have been feared - they're disease-carriers tbf. They're pests, and wanted rid of.
    If the video posted here was a chicken or mouse being fed to a snake, there would be upset. But the video is of a kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Maybe the guy just wanted to give his snake a special Christmas gift (excuse any puns).

I would think this cruel if the cat wasn't allowed escape.otherwise no nothing different about it. Though the man being a part of it would make me hope he would be psychiatrically assessed.

• Advertisement

If the cat and snake were roaming around the house freely and the snake ate it then,would that be acceptable to you?

Been there and done that.Lost(escaped on me) a largish python in the house and had to keep the cat and dog locked up until I found it

I dont get how you dont see they're the same thing.

To say a snake finding a kitten, say, in the garden and eating it is the same thing as a human physically coaxing the kitten into the snake's mouth is... obtuse to say the least... :confused:

YFlyer wrote: »
    Did you record it? :D

Sure i did....its up on tube 8.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Disturbing stuff.

Gotta mention that the python is not exactly blameless either.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Sure i did....its up on tube 8.....;)

Do the decent thing and link it!! :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am utterly opposed to anyone being allowed to own an exotic pet which is not native to the land of the "pet" owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I knew we'd be greeted with comments like this.

You think its ok for anyone to post a video on youtube of his pet burmese python killing a live kitten which are widely kept as pets in houses across the country.

The fact he brought the kitten into the bedroom in a christmas stocking shows the sick nature of this person.

If you think theses actions are perfectly ok, you my friend have issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

What is the matter with u people? The question isn't whether it's natural for the animals to act the way they do, but rather why r some of u attempting to defend a sick bastard that gets his jollies from placing a little kitten in harms way purely for his own entertainment. Ultimately, those of u who r attempting to defend this arsehole need to take a good long look in the mirror and then when you've finished doing that, give yourselves a bloody good kick up the arse.

Wake up to yourselves(you know who u r)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

cassi wrote: »
    SERIOUSLY!! Have you actually watched the video or read the article??!!

The difference and im talking in the case of the video he made not feeding in general, is that he used a PET kitten and not a wild rodent.
    Do you really think that snake keepers go out and catch potentially disease-ridden wild rats? Of course they don't; they can buy live or frozen feeder rats which are bred and reared the same way as the rats people have as pets. Then they're taken out of their nice cosy terrarium, gassed and frozen.
    He put the cat in a santa hat, put it on the bed where he had hidden the snake and then distracted the cat when it went into defensive mode after spotting the snake!! If you think thats the normal feeding habits of snake owners then you've just insulted alot of decent people.
    He's tasteless, I won't claim otherwise, but would you be up in arms if it was a rat that he'd put on that bed? Would it be in the papers?
    It had nothing to do with the snakes hunger or the amount of meat needed, he didnt for entertainment, its plain as day!
    Do you have a cat? Does it catch mice and rats? Do you encourage it to do so? Are you happy when it does? Congratulations, you're a hell of a lot crueler than this guy; a snake will grab and squeeze, and the prey will be unconcious in a short period of time. The cute little pussy that everyone is so upset about would catch, toy with, maim, allow to escape, catch again, bat around the place, and generally torture any rat, mouse, bird, or squirrel that it could. Cats are a lot nastier than snakes.
    Most responsible snake owners feed frozen/thawed and only frozen/thawed...idiots trying to show off feed live in order to provoke a reaction.
    I don't keep snakes, so maybe someone who does can clarify, but AFAIK snakes have to be fed dead food from birth because otherwise they won't recognise it as food and just plain won't eat it.
    So would it have been ok if he'd wrung the cat's neck first? How is it ok to kill a rabbit and feed it to a snake but not a cat? How about the fact that he'd have to pay a fiver for a rabbit, but people give cats away for free? Maybe he's strapped for cash, or knows someone with unwanted kittens, and quick asphyxiation by a snake is better than slow drowning in a bucket.

And where do we stop? Is it cruel for people to feed live crickets to reptiles? Flies to frogs? My fish eats mosquito larvae; is that cruel?

And what the feck is all the hoo-ha about 'he put it in a Santa hat!' So fecking what! It's a red cone of fabric, you wouldn't be bitching if it was black, green or purple, so who cares if it was red? Certainly not the snake or the cat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

44leto wrote: »
    I am utterly opposed to anyone being allowed to own an exotic pet which is not native to the land of the "pet" owner.

Maybe the woman behind the video is Burmese? (It was a woman from the sun site!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Comments like thinking the man who posted the video is a cruel basta*d?

I live in the real world. I know that ham sandwich earlier was the result of a pig being killed somewhere. (although it was 95% water)

What the fundamental difference here is is that this lad deliberately played out this video from start to finish.

He callously picked a furry defenseless kitten as he knew it was going to get more of a reaction. He put the cat in a Christmas stocking to add to the show.

I don't know any reasonable person who doesn't find this wrong.

I don't own a cat or kittens and in fact i'm not a huge fan of them. I'm more of a dog man myself. I still find the whole filming of this quite disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Right so. No dogs, cats, birds, rabbits or fish for you. All you're allowed is either a stoat or a red deer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Can people really not see the difference between videoing a sadistic act and putting it on the internet and the natural behaviour of animals in the wild?

They claim we are the most advanced species but sometimes I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Has anyone on here seen the actual video of this on youtube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Like, say, cats?

• Advertisement

Do the decent thing and link it!! :D:p

Nah....You will have more fun trawling thru all the videos trying to find it....;)

Fap fap fap!

gufnork wrote: »
    why r some of u attempting to defend a sick bastard that gets his jollies from placing a little kitten in harms way purely for his own entertainment. Ultimately, those of u who r attempting to defend this arsehole need to take a good long look in the mirror and then when you've finished doing that, give yourselves a bloody good kick up the arse.

Because he shouldn't be tortured or jailed because some people think a pythons kill is less humane than an inhalant or injection. It wasn't "purely for his entertainment", snakes have to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

kylith wrote: »
    Right so. No dogs, cats, birds, rabbits or fish for you. All you're allowed is either a stoat or a red deer.

Which is why I don't own any of them. Besides dogs, cats, birds, rabbits and fish are native here, just not exotic ones.

kylith wrote: »
    SERIOUSLY!! Have you actually watched the video or read the article??!!

The difference and im talking in the case of the video he made not feeding in general, is that he used a PET kitten and not a wild rodent.
    Do you really think that snake keepers go out and catch potentially disease-ridden wild rats? Of course they don't; they can buy live or frozen feeder rats which are bred and reared the same way as the rats people have as pets. Then they're taken out of their nice cosy terrarium, gassed and frozen.
    He put the cat in a santa hat, put it on the bed where he had hidden the snake and then distracted the cat when it went into defensive mode after spotting the snake!! If you think thats the normal feeding habits of snake owners then you've just insulted alot of decent people.
    He's tasteless, I won't claim otherwise, but would you be up in arms if it was a rat that he'd put on that bed? Would it be in the papers?
    It had nothing to do with the snakes hunger or the amount of meat needed, he didnt for entertainment, its plain as day!
    Do you have a cat? Does it catch mice and rats? Do you encourage it to do so? Are you happy when it does? Congratulations, you're a hell of a lot crueler than this guy; a snake will grab and squeeze, and the prey will be unconcious in a short period of time. The cute little pussy that everyone is so upset about would catch, toy with, maim, allow to escape, catch again, bat around the place, and generally torture any rat, mouse, bird, or squirrel that it could. Cats are a lot nastier than snakes.
    I don't keep snakes, so maybe someone who does can clarify, but AFAIK snakes have to be fed dead food from birth because otherwise they won't recognise it as food and just plain won't eat it.
    So would it have been ok if he'd wrung the cat's neck first? How is it ok to kill a rabbit and feed it to a snake but not a cat? How about the fact that he'd have to pay a fiver for a rabbit, but people give cats away for free? Maybe he's strapped for cash, or knows someone with unwanted kittens, and quick asphyxiation by a snake is better than slow drowning in a bucket.

And where do we stop? Is it cruel for people to feed live crickets to reptiles? Flies to frogs? My fish eats mosquito larvae; is that cruel?

And what the feck is all the hoo-ha about 'he put it in a Santa hat!' So fecking what! It's a red cone of fabric, you wouldn't be bitching if it was black, green or purple, so who cares if it was red? Certainly not the snake or the cat.
    Animals killing and eating of their own volition - not the issue
    Human luring animal into being killed and filming this for the laugh - the issue

Maybe we should draw diagrams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Comments like thinking the man who posted the video is a cruel basta*d?

I live in the real world. I know that ham sandwich earlier was the result of a pig being killed somewhere. (although it was 95% water)

What the fundamental difference here is is that this lad deliberately played out this video from start to finish.

He callously picked a furry defenseless kitten as he knew it was going to get more of a reaction. He put the cat in a Christmas stocking to add to the show.

I don't know any reasonable person who doesn't find this wrong.

I don't own a cat or kittens and in fact i'm not a huge fan of them. I'm more of a dog man myself. I still find the whole filming of this quite disturbing.

Yes - of course it's wrong.

However why are you so keen to gloss over the python's role in this incident?

• Advertisement
Advertisement