Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man feeds live kitten to Burmese Python

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kylith wrote: »
    I don't keep snakes, so maybe someone who does can clarify, but AFAIK snakes have to be fed dead food from birth because otherwise they won't recognise it as food and just plain won't eat it.

You can change any snake over to frozen--even one thats been fed live from birth.Its harder the older the snake is but it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Yes - of course it's wrong.

However why are you so keen to gloss over the python's role in this incident?

The pythons role in the incident? Your having a focking laugh.

I'm sure he's feeling pretty ashamed of himself alright and is having a tough time sleeping a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

what about feeding a lizard mealworms or locust? bugs have feelings too :(

talkinyite wrote: »
    what about feeding a lizard mealworms or locust? bugs have feelings too :(

Ah here lads, we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for bullsh!t to support our side of the arguement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

RSPCA will have to consult the cuteness index to determine the seriousness of the crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

44leto wrote: »
    Which is why I don't own any of them. Besides dogs, cats, birds, rabbits and fish are native here, just not exotic ones.
    Dogs - Asia
    Cats - Africa
    Canary birds - Canary Islands
    Budgie - Australia
    Goldfish - China
    Rabbits - Mainland Europe (brought to England by Romans, escaped from captivity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

gufnork wrote: »
    why r some of u attempting to defend a sick bastard that gets his jollies from placing a little kitten in harms way purely for his own entertainment. Ultimately, those of u who r attempting to defend this arsehole need to take a good long look in the mirror and then when you've finished doing that, give yourselves a bloody good kick up the arse.

Because he shouldn't be tortured or jailed because some people think a pythons kill is less humane than an inhalant or injection. It wasn't "purely for his entertainment", snakes have to eat.

It ****ing was for his entertainment. That's very clear from the description. What kind of idiot r u?

Animals acting according to their nature is one thing, a total and complete arsehole using a little kitten dressed in a Santa hat while playing Christmas music....

No, I'm sorry you're such a nob but no-one is ever going to be able to justify the actions described here to me.

I only hope the more militant amongst the animal rights activists get to him before the law does.

mod: poster banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

gufnork wrote: »
    What is the matter with u people? The question isn't whether it's natural for the animals to act the way they do, but rather why r some of u attempting to defend a sick bastard that gets his jollies from placing a little kitten in harms way purely for his own entertainment. Ultimately, those of u who r attempting to defend this arsehole need to take a good long look in the mirror and then when you've finished doing that, give yourselves a bloody good kick up the arse.

Wake up to yourselves(you know who u r)!
    Nobody's defending him, but they are weirdly pretending that this twisted act of cruelty, complete with the cuddling beforehand and the filming, is the same as all types of animal slaughter, including that by other animals...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Do you really think that snake keepers go out and catch potentially disease-ridden wild rats? Of course they don't; they can buy live or frozen feeder rats which are bred and reared the same way as the rats people have as pets. Then they're taken out of their nice cosy terrarium, gassed and frozen.
    Did I say that??!! Perhaps I mislead by saying wild, if I did I apologise. I'm smart enough to know that RESPONSIBLE snake owners wouldn't do that, however the guy in the video I have serious doubts about. Also the rats that are reared for food, not the same way pet rats are rared.
    He's tasteless, I won't claim otherwise, but would you be up in arms if it was a rat that he'd put on that bed? Would it be in the papers?
    If he made the same video but with a rat not a cat, yes I'd be just as horrified, would it make the papers? I dunno, I have no control over it.

Do you have a cat? Does it catch mice and rats? Do you encourage it to do so? Are you happy when it does? Congratulations, you're a hell of a lot crueler than this guy; a snake will grab and squeeze, and the prey will be unconcious in a short period of time.
    You wouldn't mind if I answered these questions before you jump to idiotic conclusions??!! Yes I have a cat, No it does not catch mice or rats, Its a pet cat thats fed cat food. Do I encourage it and would I be happy if it did?? I just don't even know how someone would assume this could be true!

Anyway this is not what people are horrified at. Some sicko led a pet kitten to its death and got entertainment out of it. How thats doesn't register with you is beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Disturbing stuff.

Gotta mention that the python is not exactly blameless either.
    Too right.

That python should have known better than to eat food presented to it... :confused:

The python is completely blameless. He just saw prey and fed on it. Nothing inherently wrong with that. The only thing wrong with that video is the person who made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Too right.

That python should have known better than to eat food presented to it... :confused:

The python is completely blameless. He just saw prey and fed on it. Nothing inherently wrong with that. The only thing wrong with that video is the person who made it.

Its about time animals and not their owners took some responsibility for their actions. People have been the scapegoats for too long. The animals have been laughing at us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

yeah - animals can basically do whatever sick stuff they want and nobody calls 'em on it. Instead it's all put down to some bullsh*t like "it's only nature" or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Hi hi, a certain site seems to have delivered.... (allegedly). Pizzas are standing by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The guy in the video is a sick fcuker for luring the kitten to its death.

No blame lies with the snake.

Lot of people arguing for the sake of arguing in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Oh my God!!! It's barbaric, the poor defenseless snake. Wah, wah, wah......hysteria hysteria hysteria.......................

Eh a cat kills a snake? Did the cat not just go running off with the snake hanging out of it.

A question for the snake owner in the thread.

Had the kitten been a fully grown Tom can. What would have been the outcome of the Python v Cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Despite all the rage it's still just a cat of young age.

:cool:

Oh my God!!! It's barbaric, the poor defenseless snake. Wah, wah, wah......hysteria hysteria hysteria.......................

The owners sadistic laugh in it is so horrifying :( he should be boiled alive! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh right. I didn't realise this was being compared directly to the case in the original post.
    I don't see any owner luring the snake to the cat's clutches - could you perhaps point that out? Is the snake in this video an infant snake also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Had the kitten been a fully grown Tom can. What would have been the outcome of the Python v Cat?
    Probably the exact same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

pH wrote: »
    I know we keep cats as pets, and we have empathy for them, but in terms of a developed brain and the ability to feel pain, fear and suffer is there really much difference between a 4 month old kitten and a 4 month old rat?

I'm not saying it's right, I'm not saying it's a video I'd want to watch, but logically if we're happy with live mammals being fed to snakes does it really matter which ones?

well kittens are cuter:pac: everyone hates rats.. but ye your right ,BUT i bet you feel it to,i know you wouldnt feel half as bad for a rat !... but youre right a mammals a mammal all should be treated the same,cuter ones shouldnt have more rights:P really sad though :( ..

The owners sadistic laugh in it is so horrifying :(he should be boiled alive! :rolleyes:

Yes, that will make the world a better place...

cassi wrote: »
    You wouldn't mind if I answered these questions before you jump to idiotic conclusions??!! Yes I have a cat, No it does not catch mice or rats, Its a pet cat thats fed cat food. Do I encourage it and would I be happy if it did?? I just don't even know how someone would assume this could be true!
    In a forum like this it's hard to get a genuine back and forth; my questions were not intended to do more than put forward a point, and I am sorry if you were offended.

My point was that people keep cats, even people on this forum, for pest control. They are happy when their cat kills a rat, even though that rat will have suffered much more than the kitten in the video due to the fact that cats play with their prey before killing it. For a person to praise their kitty for disemboweling a rodent, then get up in arms over a kitten that had a much easier and less painful death is ridiculous.

As far as I can tell the only reason that this is a story is because there's a kitty involved. Thousands of rats are fed to snakes every day, and no-one is up in arms about that, but put one cat in and suddenly the world is outraged. Double standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh right. I didn't realise this was being compared directly to the case in the original post.
    I don't see any owner luring the snake to the cat's clutches - could you perhaps point that out? Is the snake in this video an infant snake also?

I really couldn't care less.

• Advertisement

V_Moth wrote: »
    Yes, that will make the world a better place...

I was taking the piss...

No one has a problem with the countless videos of cat owners feeding smaller snakes to their cats:

why should they have a problem with snake owners feeding smaller cats to their snakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Dogs - Asia
    Cats - Africa
    Canary birds - Canary Islands
    Budgie - Australia
    Goldfish - China
    Rabbits - Mainland Europe (brought to England by Romans, escaped from captivity)

Really,
    Dogs Africa but can't be sure, domesticated dogs and cats as old as man, that made them nomadic, they stuck with us.
    Cats Perhaps Africa, cant be sure
    Canaries Roman named from Canine the Island of dogs.
    Budgie, Australian but also any tropical area, they fly you know.
    Goldfish, no idea, but not only china
    Rabbits, correct.

SO by your idiotic post us humans are exotic creatures in Ireland as we originated in Africa.

I was taking the piss...

Damn, caught again - this forum needs some kind of sarcasm icon!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

The whole debate about the cruelty of farming vs the cruelty of the wnaker feeding the kitten to the snake is completely beside the point. This isn't about anthropomorphism, its about the fact that some sad strange wierdo lured an innocent animal to their premature death, and went to the trouble of filming it for his and other's pleasure.I dont imagine that pig farmers,or any other farmers would go to the trouble of filming the slaughter of their animals and upload it onto the net. It's the premeditation of the whole thing here that is the most troubling...if someone said to me, "hey , let's feed this kitten to a snake and film it,it'll be great craic!" I would run a mile from that crazy fcuker, and report him to the guards. The person who thought up and filmed the whole thing is displaying classic sociopathic tendencies, and anyone who would try to defend him is either a troll, or needs psychiactric help.

daithi

In a forum like this it's hard to get a genuine back and forth; my questions were not intended to do more than put forward a point, and I am sorry if you were offended.

My point was that people keep cats, even people on this forum, for pest control. They are happy when their cat kills a rat, even though that rat will have suffered much more than the kitten in the video due to the fact that cats play with their prey before killing it. For a person to praise their kitty for disemboweling a rodent, then get up in arms over a kitten that had a much easier and less painful death is ridiculous.

As far as I can tell the only reason that this is a story is because there's a kitty involved. Thousands of rats are fed to snakes every day, and no-one is up in arms about that, but put one cat in and suddenly the world is outraged. Double standard.

Thats fair, I understand where your coming from.

But can you honestly not see the difference in keeping a cat for pest control (pests that can cause alot of damage to a house) or feeding a rat to a snake, to putting a pet kitten on a bed and then distracting it so the snake can attack it all for entertainment??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Reminds me of the time I was at a wedding and this loudmouth decided to voice her opinion on why meat is murder and while it's brilliant to be a veggie since all of us ordered steak at the table

All the while she tucked into her salmon. :pac:

Filming pet animals feeding on other live animals for entertainment is another thing, though. There's another gruesome compilation video of a guy who feeds his snapping turtle by throwing live rats into a tank full of water, the poor rodents die an awful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

daithi1970 wrote: »
    The whole debate about the cruelty of farming vs the cruelty of the wnaker feeding the kitten to the snake is completely beside the point. This isn't about anthropomorphism, its about the fact that some sad strange wierdo lured an innocent animal to their premature death, and went to the trouble of filming it for his and other's pleasure.I dont imagine that pig farmers,or any other farmers would go to the trouble of filming the slaughter of their animals and upload it onto the net. It's the premeditation of the whole thing here that is the most troubling...if someone said to me, "hey , let's feed this kitten to a snake and film it,it'll be great craic!" I would run a mile from that crazy fcuker, and report him to the guards. The person who thought up and filmed the whole thing is displaying classic sociopathic tendencies, and anyone who would try to defend him is either a troll, or needs psychiactric help.

daithi

but people film their snakes eating all the time on youtube. Theres tonnes of videos of mice being eaten and im sure people find it interesting to watch. But now a lovely cute purty little kitten is dying and everyone's offended.
    Fúck's sake.

But can you honestly not see the difference in keeping a cat for pest control (pests that can cause alot of damage to a house) or feeding a rat to a snake, to putting a pet kitten on a bed and then distracting it so the snake can attack it all for entertainment??

Cats can be pests too, is it wrong to keep a python for pest control?

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    daithi1970 wrote: »

daithi

but people film their snakes eating all the time on youtube. Theres tonnes of videos of mice being eaten and im sure people find it interesting to watch. But now a lovely cute purty little kitten is dying and everyone's offended.
    Fúck's sake.
    You know where people are coming from - you're just pretending not to.
    Snakes eat mice, domestic kittens aren't part of their diet. I doubt the mice in the vids you're talking about would be cuddled beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh there's sick f**ks all over youtube feeding pets to snakes, claiming its just nature etc etc...they're still just sick f**ks though.

Cats can be pests too, is it wrong to keep a python for pest control?

Pest control.....NO. Trolls... Maybe!! :rolleyes:

Really,
    Dogs Africa but can't be sure, domesticated dogs and cats as old as man, that made them nomadic, they stuck with us.
    Rabbits, correct.

SO by your idiotic post us humans are exotic creatures in Ireland as we originated in Africa.
    I'll give you dogs, since they have been with us for a few millenia. I'm less sure about cats because they are definitely an invasive species which devestates wildlife which has only encountered them in the last couple of thousand years. With the rest of them I'm not really sure what your point is. Yes, the Canary Islands were named after the dogs, but the canary birds are definitely non-native to Ireland, as are budgies, goldfish, rabbits and probably a lot of other things people keep as pets. Your claim that people shouldn't keep exotic animals as pets includes just about everything the people keep as pets.

Cats could be seen as vermin, they make enough of a nuisance of themselves when straying to. Is feeding a kitten to a snake different to encouraging a cat to eat a spider?

I have terriers. I don't worry about the lambs in their dog food, I don't shed a tear when they catch rats by the canal, and I'm not going to get up on any high horse about someone feeding animal X to animal Y. Some animal is going to die and nothing makes one more special or sacred than another, especially not something as subjective as cuteness.

Interesting. It seems the same person/persons involved in this video has done something similar the last two years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_vigilantism#Notable_examples
    http://authspot.com/thoughts/luka-magnotta-male-model-falsely-accused-of-animal-cruelty/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Probably the exact same outcome.

Not necessarily--Cats are kept in some countries to keep snakes at bay.Thier reactions can be faster than a snakes strike.

Cats could be seen as vermin, they make enough of a nuisance of themselves when straying to. Is feeding a kitten to a snake different to encouraging a cat to eat a spider?

I have terriers. I don't worry about the lambs in their dog food, I don't shed a tear when they catch rats by the canal, and I'm not going to get up on any high horse about someone feeding animal X to animal Y. Some animal is going to die and nothing makes one more special or sacred than another, especially not something as subjective as cuteness.

So you don't see any difference?! What went on in the video is just another normal happening in the animal world? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I knew we'd be greeted with comments like this.

You think its ok for anyone to post a video on youtube of his pet burmese python killing a live kitten which are widely kept as pets in houses across the country.

The fact he brought the kitten into the bedroom in a christmas stocking shows the sick nature of this person.

If you think theses actions are perfectly ok, you my friend have issues.
    Im more of a 'glass is half full' type. I saw this as an act of kindness to a beautiful python.

Really,
    Rabbits, correct.

I'll give you dogs, since they have been with us for a few millenia. I'm less sure about cats because they are definitely an invasive species which devestates wildlife which has only encountered them in the last couple of thousand years. With the rest of them I'm not really sure what your point is. Yes, the Canary Islands were named after the dogs, but the canary birds are definitely non-native to Ireland, as are budgies, goldfish, rabbits and probably a lot of other things people keep as pets. Your claim that people shouldn't keep exotic animals as pets includes just about everything the people keep as pets.

Why do you continue to ignore the behaviour of the guy, and the fact that it was not necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm just going to clear up my point of view on this:

one animal eating another is perfectly natural. a human intervening to stop the animal being hunted is cruelty. somebody recording something like this happening, when the animal being hunted can't get away, is twisted and needs to be psychiatrically assessed.

the only real reason anybody is getting upset over this is because cats are domestic animals now and so the thought of feeding one to another animal is seen as sick. to me, this view is wrong. basically whether this is right or wrong in your minds is dependent on societies view of the hunted animal. and that's just silly.

I think this man probably potentially could be dangerous, but him doing the same with a rat or mouse or any other animal is an equal act. it doesn't make sense to say it's cruelty for one animal and not for another.

that's all i'm going to say on this.

spot the crazy cat ladies :p

Bambi wrote: »
    tbh there's sick f**ks all over youtube feeding pets to snakes, claiming its just nature etc etc...they're still just sick f**ks though.

The difference is that these sick fooks are live feeding in an enclosed space--the mouse/rat/kitten whatever doesnt stand a chance.
    In the wild they do--a snake may only actually catch a meal once out of every 10 tries in the wild either because the prey got away,the prey got a bite in at the snake and the snake gave up or just because the snake was too slow at the time.

Its not natural live feeding--if you want to live feed naturally--put the snake out your back garden,throw in a few mice 20 feet away and see if the snake gets a meal.

In the wild a snake may have to wait days for a prey item to walk within its strike range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Sick bastard

the only real reason anybody is getting upset over this is because cats are domestic animals now and so the thought of feeding one to another animal is seen as sick.
    Nope. It's not the snake eating it, it's the guy setting the thing up for the laugh and filming it and cuddling the kitten beforehand. Can't believe some of you are still refusing to acknowledge this...

Why the assumption people wouldn't be upset if the vid featured a mouse btw? It would be less surprising, sure, but not nice to watch either...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

My boyfriend keeps snakes and I have 2 kittens. One of his Boas very nearly got a kitten once, he was feeding the boa and unnoticed to him one of the kittens snuck up to watch. The boa went to strike the Kitty but my boyfriend saw what was happening and managed to get his arm between the two and took the bite himself to protect the Kitty.
    He only feeds frozen mice and rats to his. I would be disgusted to find out he fed live food unless there was a very good reason for it. As far as I'm aware there is also a risk that live food could injure the snake so its not a great idea from that point of view, I'm not 100% on this though as my eyes tend to glaze over when he talks about reps.
    I didn't watch the video as I have no desire to see that but imo when there is a kinder option ie frozen food that should be taken. It was of no benefit to his snake to be fed live food so the only reason I can think if for him to do it is for his own twisted fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I hate snakes, not too fond of kittens either but I really fcuking hate sad little pricks like the guy that filmed and posted this video. IMO this little sh!te is on a path to gratuating to much more sinister things.

The whole debate on the feeding of the python is very much secondary to the fact someone gets his kicks posting this on the internet.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Why do you continue to ignore the behaviour of the guy, and the fact that it was not necessary?
    It wan't necessary, but something was going to be fed to the snake and if it wasn't the kitten it'd be something else so I don't see what's to get bent out of shape about. As I said; thousands of rats and mice are fed to snakes and I don't hear anyone yelling about the poor defenseless little creatures.

All this guy did was film it in a tasteless way and put it on the internet. Whether he'd filmed it or not the cat was going to be just as dead.

Advertisement