Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant asked for replacement bulbs

Options
  • 03-12-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a quick question. Rented house has those GU halogon bulbs in kitchen. Just got text from tenant to they some have blown and would I get some...

Who is required to replace them, me or them.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bulbs shouldn't blow and now this has happened to multiple bulbs

If there a wiring problem in the house?
    If there is and an electrician confirms it then I'd think you need to pay for replacements

If it's just as simple as bulbs reaching the end of their life, well the tenant can replace them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Those GU10s are a PITA for blowing in some situations. The are particularly prone to vibration and don't seem to last long in downstairs locations where people walk overhead.

The are probably best replaced with LEDs that th=dont have this problem.

Technically it should be the tenant to replace but in the interests of a peaceful life.........!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Bulbs shouldn't blow and now this has happened to multiple bulbs

Eh? I'm sick of replacing those Halogen bulbs. About a fiver a pop aswell.

Bulbs are tenant responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 britespark

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Eh? I'm sick of replacing those Halogen bulbs. About a fiver a pop aswell.

Bulbs are tenant responsibility.
    it sounds a bit petty to ask the landlord to replace light bulbs.
    But for the sake of a quite life i think i would just change the bulbs for the tennant ..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont know who is responsable for this but i would be carefull about asking tenents to do this. Its not easy to change them and tbh i have seen a fair few ceilings destroyed because of this. My advice would be to tell them to buy them and you will happily replace them or just replace them with LEDS as advised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Think I'll just replace them this time for peace but make it clear that don't normally do it.

Regarding led ones, I have been getting them for my own place as the halogen one blow but two weeks ago one went... Is this normal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I find the GU10's very hard to change- I had no idea how to do it, first time I moved into my house with downlighters! I'd say come out and replace the bulbs, show the tenant(s) how to do it and leave a few replacement bulbs with them for the next time they blow, that way you're making it clear that next time you expect them to do it.
    If they've any problems, though, they should feel able to call you- as Joey the Lips has said, you don't want them breaking the fittings trying to do it and some people (me!) find them tough to replace. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

think you can get 5 x 50w haloger Gu10 in Argos for like E5! alternatively I got 10 philips Led in Eurosales sandyford for E100.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are these low-voltage? My experience has been that LV systesm can be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Idbatterim wrote: »
    think you can get 5 x 50w haloger Gu10 in Argos for like E5! alternatively I got 10 philips Led in Eurosales sandyford for E100.

I say you were "had" on both fronts. The GU10's because at €1 each they are probably rubbish and will be gone in Peeing time! The LED because I am buying good quality ones at about €6.50 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I have never asked a landlord to change a lightbulb for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The house I have now with the tricky halogen bulbs is my own; when I used to rent I only had normal bulbs. I always wanted as little to do with landlords as possible so can't imagine ever calling one to change a bulb, to be honest! However, maybe they genuinely don't want to try it in case they damage it and thought 'better safe than sorry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Avns1s wrote: »
    The LED because I am buying good quality ones at about €6.50 each.

where? and what's the light quality like (i've heard LEDs are very harsh)?

we have halogen bulbs all over the house, house is rented and I don't want to spend a load of cash replacing them with LED bulbs we may never have further use for. Damn halogens have my leccy bill through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

loyatemu wrote: »
    i've heard LEDs are very harsh
    One trick is to bounce the light of the ceiling / wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If someone can't change a light bulb, they shouldn't be left in charge of a house. Unless of course they are medically unable to do in which case you'd be aware of that and have an agreement in place for home help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

BostonB wrote: »
    If someone can't change a light bulb, they shouldn't be left in charge of a house. Unless of course they are medically unable to do in which case you'd be aware of that and have an agreement in place for home help.

I'd say the tenant is well able to change the light bulb, it's paying for new ones he's unsure of! Tight git.

I was kinda referring to the comments about the difficulty of it.

Get them to pay a handyman to do it. Be less keen to waste your time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

BostonB wrote: »

That statement is nonsense. Most houses in particular modern houses don't have simple light fittings any more plus the traditional light bulbs are now illegal. Some of those halogen/led light bulbs can be very difficult to replace due to the design of the light fittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

It's important not to touch the glass when installing these bulbs as any grease or moisture from your hands will cause them to overheat and either blow or have a much shorter lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Speaking as a tenant, I would never asking my landlord to change a light bulb, ffs! not that hard... doesnt cost that much. I consider myself to have some responsibilty in regard to basic upkeep of the house in which I live but do not own.

whats next you get a call l when the toilet roll runs out too?

• Advertisement

Baralis1 wrote: »
    That statement is nonsense. Most houses in particular modern houses don't have simple light fittings any more plus the traditional light bulbs are now illegal. Some of those halogen/led light bulbs can be very difficult to replace due to the design of the light fittings.

Get better light fittings. Be cheaper than paying a handyman to do it, if unable.

I take your point that some fitting these days are badly designed and thus hard to replace. In which case they are unsuited to a rented property. Perhaps LL should change these kind of fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

those gu10s are a nightmare, i think the tenant may have seen the price of them and decided to ask the landlord to pay for them:)
    the cheapest i have seen them is in woodies its around €9 for a pack of 5, i have seen them at €5 for one though,
    they dont last long,and they are tricky to change if they are fitted into the ceiling,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

At first I read this thinking that's a bit ridiculous it just a lightbulb there is not that much to changing it.

But when I think about there is one or two of the light in the house I'm renting where the bulbs are pretty tricky to get at.

One of them I have no idea how to get the lampshade off to get at the bulb, obviously I don't want to put too much force into it in case I break it. And a lot of the other light fittings are odd ones, not just a nice stick in a bayonet bulb type, funny recessed spots and that can be a pain to get at alright and as never had them in my house never changed them before I'm sure I'd be quite able to but they do often require a bit of force and when its not your property your always going to be a bit more worried about breaking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Jesus and theres me paying a tenner a month replacing bulbs around the house and trying to chase a possible faulty circut!!!

Im a tennant and I would be embarassed to call mt ll and ask for a few bulbs,
    But something I noticed in the past week is that the cheap ones you dont mind buying seem to be gone from Dunnes 6 euro for a single of certain double packs. maybe they have had enough of shelling out for bulbs.

Advertisement