Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books in 2012

Options
  • 03-12-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Whats on your 'I want' list for 2012?

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Memory of Light by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

A Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

Really looking forward to Memory of Light but its going to be weird not to have anymore to look forward to.

Republic of Thieves is another that I really wanna read but not holding my breath for that one, as I can see it being pushed back again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds, long time since he has released anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Oh I cant wait for A Memory of Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Biggest I'm waiting for is Scott Lynch with TROT but I ain't getting hopes up - my "real ETA" is 2014 on that - I reckon he'll have his act together for then.

But to arrive first, I'm looking forward to Sanderson with AMOL, and Rothfuss with TDOS, which will arrive probably before TROT sometime 2013 or even late 2012 if we're really lucky :)

As for all those GRRM fans - hahahahahah ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Trojan wrote: »
    As for all those GRRM fans - hahahahahah ;)
    GOT - Season II.

In your face (kinda)! :p

wheel of time

any more peter hamilton books. i think there is one due for release in 2012
    more robin hobb
    more kate elliott

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Some of the same as the rest of ye:

"Blue Remembered Earth" by Alastair Reynolds. Didn't care for "Terminal Earth" but loved "House of Suns". This series sounds promising.

"Memory of Light" by Brandon Sanderson. It's the end! FINALLY!

"A Red Country" by Joe Abercrombie. He hasn't disappointed yet.

"Orb, Sceptre, Throne" by Ian Esslemont. It's more Malazan!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton is out sometime in 2012.

Have no idea what it'll be about but looking forward to it all the same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Whats on your 'I want' list for 2012?

...............Memory of Light by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.............

Really looking forward to Memory of Light but its going to be weird not to have anymore to look forward to.

I agree with both of these choices.
    However I think my feeling on MoL will be alone the lines of "Thank God its finally over"
    I have been waiting for the end of this series since early 1994. Out of 6 mates who all started around the same time I am the only one still reading it, the others all dropped out sometime after Book 5/6.

I really must start on some Joe Abercombie stuff,haven't got around to them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Tenger wrote: »
    However I think my feeling on MoL will be alone the lines of "Thank God its finally over"
    I have been waiting for the end of this series since early 1994. Out of 6 mates who all started around the same time I am the only one still reading it, the others all dropped out sometime after Book 5/6.

I really must start on some Joe Abercombie stuff,haven't got around to them yet.

There's two types of WoT fans. Those who started way back in the early 90's and want an conclusion and those who picked it up later in the noughties, like me, who haven't been waiting as long and wouldn't mind seeing a few more books.

I do think that the book will be a disappointment, not just due to the fact it's over but also due a lot of loose plot threads or some plot threads being wrapped up quickly and in an unsatisfactory manner.

I really think there should be at least two more books not one. Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight all felt rushed and crammed with major events and very little storytelling, it was all instant gratification.
    The events weren't allowed to flow naturally and when you read all the books in a row, this becomes more apparent. Although its probably not helped by the turgid flow of major events in a couple of the prior books, looking at Crossroads in particular.

Where was Taim, Logain, Demandred, heck where were a lot of the minor characters? The rescue of Moraine in the Tower of Genji was a major let down and it wasn't allowed enough space to breath.

The series needed an injection of pace but not an adrenaline injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

There's definately room for a lot more in WOT. One thin that did piss me off was :
    Ok nobody hated Lews therin more than demandred and they were constant rivals throughout the previous age even before the war and he's barely in the books at all, ok so more than likely he's tam or somehow involved there(even hearing bashere). I thought there could've been more on demandred

• Advertisement

There's definately room for a lot more in WOT. One thin that did piss me off was :
    Ok nobody hated Lews therin more than demandred and they were constant rivals throughout the previous age even before the war and he's barely in the books at all, ok so more than likely he's tam or somehow involved there(even hearing bashere). I thought there could've been more on demandred

He is not Taim, I assume you mean Taim and not Tam Rands father, Robert Jordan said so himself.

But yeah the ending wont do justice to all that went before, so much is going to be left out or ran through quickly. Love it or hate it, the books were overly verbose and full of sub plots and minor characters but still full of major events. Stuff actually happening is what was wrong with book 9 and 10, particularly 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Tenger wrote: »

Started WoT last year and just cant bring myself to read book 11, i just don't care anymore. Book 10 was utter nonesence

Knife of dreams, gathering storm and towers of midnight are all well worth reading. 11 and 12 being some of the best of the series.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Started WoT last year and just cant bring myself to read book 11, i just don't care anymore. Book 10 was utter nonesence

I can see where you are coming from....both the last 2 are nice as the story actually moves along, AND you can see that the endgame is in sight.

(The pace of Towers of Midnight is pretty much, "grab your toothbrush we're off to the Last Battle", it is the last frantic preparations before the end)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Miguel_Angel

Well, I would say that in my 2012 list are:

- Ready Player One
    - Game of Thrones (maybe I will start this series this year)

That's all! :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Elevelyn wrote: »

I read them a long time ago, as they were released, and I'm the same. I just couldn't go back to it now. If people say is 11 is better then maybe I'd be tempted back.

I've just read the first Game of Thrones and hoping it doesn't go a similar path. Already I'm thinking its head down the too many characters and sub-plots route. But enjoying it so far. Just started the 2nd book.

I also read some of the Halo novels. I liked the ones from, Eric S. Nylund very old school sci-fi vibe about them. Didn't like the other writer as much. Only read the first 4 so far.

I see that one of my books for 2012 - "Orb, Sceptre, Throne" - is $21 for the Kindle edition (£11 in the UK). That's too much for an e-book edition and well in excess of any of the other books in the series, including "The Crippled God" when it was released. Disappointing - the greed could get the better of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ixoy wrote: »
    I see that one of my books for 2012 - "Orb, Sceptre, Throne" - is $21 for the Kindle edition (£11 in the UK). That's too much for an e-book edition and well in excess of any of the other books in the series, including "The Crippled God" when it was released. Disappointing - the greed could get the better of them.

Yup, sometimes the publishers really screw people over when it comes to ebooks. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And then they whine when torrents appear with hundreds of ebooks in them...

Thats a shocking price for an electronic copy. I only got Gardens of the Moon recently ,and its still on my to read pile, so it will be a long time before I get to 'Orb, Sceptre, Throne', so hopefully it will be cheaper by then.

• Advertisement

Thats a shocking price for an electronic copy. I only got Gardens of the Moon recently ,and its still on my to read pile, so it will be a long time before I get to 'Orb, Sceptre, Throne', so hopefully it will be cheaper by then.
    Indeed - I might wait. I know though, for certain, that there's much much cheaper copies of the ebook around... If they're too greedy then this later version is the one people will get.

On the same day, "Blue Remembered Earth", Alastair Reynold's latest, was also released for $15. Still a little too high.

Indeed - I might wait. I know though, for certain, that there's much much cheaper copies of the ebook around... If they're too greedy then this later version is the one people will get.

On the same day, "Blue Remembered Earth", Alastair Reynold's latest, was also released for $15. Still a little too high.

I'd be reluctant to pay anything over a tenner for an ebook because at that price I'd rather just get the book in a local bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

You should see the starwars book on kindle, the few that are avalible are 30 dollars or close.

You should see the starwars book on kindle, the few that are avalible are 30 dollars or close.

My shoes just shot off and my socks just fired up my legs to my knees with shock there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I still think that physical copies should come with an ebook copy.

Just like a lot of DVDs and Blu-Rays do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I still think that physical copies should come with an ebook copy.

Just like a lot of DVDs and Blu-Rays do.

I like that idea, but can't see it happening. I pretty much only read on the Kindle now, but there are a few series I wouldn't mind having in paper/hardback just to complete the series on the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd miss the covers on some books like the Patrick O Brien series.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~lawrence.edwards/tallships/pob/pob.htm

The use of the kindle for me will be to buy older series and books I might have missed out on.
    I will still buy newer books in hardback as I like them and sometimes they are worth a few bob after a while.
    Game of thrones first edition goes for hundreds, way of kings first edition is already commanding a fee online, Name of the wind is crazy rare and expensive and lies of Locke lamora is worth a bit.
    I bought 2 of those books upon release in hardcover and I'm glad I didnt buy them in kindle format. One I bought in kindle format as to get it now would be shockingly expensive and the other I got long after release for peanuts.

So for new paperback only releases and old books that would be too expensive, I'll use my kindle.
    The way I see it if the kindle came out in the 80's and I got all the books released then on it, I wouldn't be able to sell a first edition colour of magic, the light fantastic, Wyrd sisters, eye of the world, game of thrones, magician etc and make a good few pounds.

The synopsis for Joe Abercrombie's Red Country from his website.

Shy South comes home to her farm to find a blackened shell, her brother and sister stolen, and knows she’ll have to go back to bad old ways if she’s ever to see them again. She sets off in pursuit with only her cowardly old step-father Lamb for company. But it turns out he’s hiding a bloody past of his own. None bloodier. Their journey will take them across the lawless plains, to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feuds, duels, and massacres, high into unmapped mountains to a reckoning with ancient enemies, and force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, a man no one should ever have to trust...

Hopefully it's out this year and doesn't suffer what befalls most fantasy books - delays.

Also the whole 'none bloodier' past. It's hardly the Bloody Nine

• Advertisement

and force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, a man no one should ever have to trust...
    More Nicoma Costa - a good thing!

Advertisement