Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Dog V Small Dog

• 03-12-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi Everyone :)
    my first time to side of the forum and i must say all the dogs with pics posted are absolutly gorgeous!!
    but What made you decide to get a small dog or a large dog??

I've grown up with jack russels or Springer Spaniels in my home until recently when I mived out myself and partner decided to get a dog of our own and went for a German Shepherd X American Wolf Dog in may,

It's nothing i've ever experienced the difference in training, excercising and playing with a large dog and sadly I don't think i'll ever look to adopt a small dog again! you just can't beat cuddling into a big dog on the sofa :)

I would just like to know what was your reason for getting the lovely dogs that you do have,
    and oh how we love them so! :P

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sashiee wrote: »
    I've grown up with jack russels or Springer Spaniels in my home until recently when I mived out myself and partner decided to get a dog of our own and went for a German Shepherd X American Wolf Dog in may,
    The American wolf dog part might cause issues down the line, if and it's a very big if it has any wolf in him or her. The vast vast majority advertised as same don't and since most haven't a clue what an actual wolf dogs characteristics are they assume it's true(mix a husky and a shepherd and people will claim "wolf"). Though it fetches a premium price wise so no doubt will continue as a description.

I've always preferred a big dog myself. Like you say more tactile by virtue of size. Usually less "twitchy" and snappy too, though that's usually more down to small dog owners IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Simply space. I have a small house and my two terriers are fine there, but my friend's mastiff has to revese around the place cos nowhere is really wide enough for her to turn around (a bit of an exaggeration, but not much). I'd love a big dog, but cocker size is probably the biggest I could comfortably fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The (misguided) perception that only dogs from knee height up are "proper" dogs, so got a lab x border collie. 4 years later we decided to foster a small terrier x, exactly the kind of dog I never wanted :rolleyes:
    A year and half later she is still with us and we love her to bits, just like the big dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I have 2 big (though not massive) dogs, both weighing in at 5 and a half stone each. I much prefer them to smaller dogs, but it is a personal preference.

I love the fact that mine are as strong as I am and can play proper games of tug of war, and wrestling which we all love. Of course, they can also counter-surf quite easily, and if they run into me when playing, then they could do serious damage (thankfully nothing more than bruised knees so far).

I do worry that when I have kids they will knock them on their ass repeatedly!

We have the space for big dogs, and we live in the middle of nowhere, and my husband travels a lot, so they make me feel very safe - I don't think I'd get that sense of security with a smaller dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The size never bothered me, we've always gone for rescues size was never an issue with any dog, we always had dogs so I guess it never dawned on me to try to get a specific size or breed.
    It was just a coincidence that my two rescue girls weren't large. Ones a collie other a mix breed slightly bigger than a Westie. I always loved bigger dogs coz you can give them a proper cuddle and them won't break. I liked but was never drawn to small dogs until I discovered Papillons.

I guess because I've always liked cats is one reason why I like Papillons, they really are like a cat in many ways but of course they still have all their doggy qualities too.

Although I'd love to eventually take on more rescue dogs and will eventually but not for a long time if we ever do get another pooch it will probably be small and probably be a Papillon (perhaps if one ends up in rescue and needs a home, but that's rare). I was never one for specific breeds but these small dogs are addictive, it's the only word for them one is not enough, I guess a bit like cats you really shouldn't just have the one half a dozen is so much more fun.

My oul lad really didn't like small dogs he was always in to husky types or German Shepards big chunky dogs, or as he would of called them 'proper dogs' lol. He said he'd never want a small dog...for the past 7 years he has a small terrier rescue mix who is the apple of his eye..machoness gone right out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Much of a muchness, I've had all sorts of dogs, mostly just whatever 'kind' people who no longer wanted their dog decided to give us as presents in the middle of the night without telling us :rolleyes:. Small dogs have loads of advantages though, the smaller the dog, the less it costs to feed, the less space it takes up on the couch, in the car and so on. The kids can handle smaller dogs more easily too so makes it easier for them to get involved in walking and training and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Would be interested to know what an american wolf dog is? Never heard of them. :confused:

I have a small dog at the moment and it is quite handy having a small dog as I find more places are accepting of him, when I brought him on holidays with us for 2 years I found if you rang a touristy kind of spot up in advance to ask if they allow dogs in they always asked what size dog, when you said a small terrier they had no problem, I think if I had said a large dog a lot of places wouldn't have let him in.

That said I would like a bigger dog one day. Our terrier at the moment is more the family dog so he's not allowed move in with me, plus I don't drive and have to get a bus home every weekend for work (unless bus eireann start allowing dogs to travel with their owners :D) I can't see myself getting my own dog/s for a few years. But when I do I plan on having another cairn mix, a medium-ish sized dog (possibly a staffie) and a bigger dog (either lurcher, gsd or rottie). :D

So to answer your question I can't choose so I'l have one of each. I like small scruffy terrier-types but I do find the idea of not bending down to pet a dog quite nice! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Would be interested to know what an american wolf dog is? Never heard of them. :confused:
    Catchall term for purported wolf dog hybrids from the US. Some "breeders" have tried to establish some sort of breed standard, but it's well dubious and few if any* have any amount of actual wolf DNA in them. This is a good thing.

*EDIT some do and if they do you'll know about it if you get one. NOT a family "pet" by any stretch and way beyond the average dog owner and some not so average.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Zapperzy wrote: »
    Catchall term for purported wolf dog hybrids from the US. Some "breeders" have tried to establish some sort of breed standard, but it's well dubious and few if any* have any amount of actual wolf DNA in them. This is a good thing.

*EDIT some do and if they do you'll know about it if you get one. NOT a family "pet" by any stretch and way beyond the average dog owner and some not so average.

Interesting! So basically another name for a wolf mixed with anything? Thought it might be another breed similar to the Czechoslovakian wolfdog type breeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I dunno, We've always had big dogs growing up, the smallest I had was a terrier cross, and even then she was a big enough terrier. My OH had huskys, collies, and the last family dog was an Irish setter.

We have two Irish setters at the minute, and before we got our first the shortlist were all biggish dogs, mostly gundogs or sighthounds. It came down to either an Irish setter or a weimeraner. Neither of us had any small breeds on our shortlist, so none were considered. We're fairly rural and have lots of space so a small or toy dog on a country walk just didn't seem like a right fit for us.

• Advertisement

We're fairly rural and have lots of space so a small or toy dog on a country walk just didn't seem like a right fit for us.
    I reckon the bit in bold sums it up. Whether the dog fits into your life or not, regardless of size. The smaller fellas would be easier around a house I'd say. A great Dane is gonna be a bit of a stretch in a small flat. Things like that. Temperament wise IMHO its as much or more to do with the owners expectations and projections of those onto the dog breed in question. Expected behaviour is reinforced even encouraged, mostly unconsciously. So a "tough guy" who gets a Doberman is going to have a different dog than someone who gets the same dog but who expects a family pet kinda thing. "Little dog syndrome" is IMHO very much a result of that. Behaviour is expected and tolerated and encouraged that would not be in an Irish Wolfhound. Just personally speaking I've found individual dogs, not breeds vary far more. I knew a Lab that had the highest prey drive of any dog I've been around. Used to stalk small and large animals like a big cat. And he was one helluva guard dog.

Zapperzy wrote:
    Interesting! So basically another name for a wolf mixed with anything? Thought it might be another breed similar to the Czechoslovakian wolfdog type breeding.
    Not nearly as traceable, disciplined and historical as the european breeds*, but thankfully most are low content animals, if they have any content at all.

AFAIR some breeders tried to establish a standard but it got out of hand. Looking in from the outside it seems there can a lot of friction, infighting, dissent and willy waving among dog breeders of all kinds. The "wolfdog" label seems to make it worse(more money attached) and in the US it can be a big problem** as it's sadly much much easier to source a wolf to add to the breeding stock over there so it got even more undisciplined.

And potentially dangerous. EG Family A get a "wolfdog" that is very low content, or no content and it's a great family pet. Well it would be as it's a dog. Then they decide to get another and this time they get the real deal, with a much higher wolf content. Whole different ballgame. One that is highly likely to be very destructive, untrainable, unhousebreakable(should be a word:)), unpredictable, dog and stranger aggressive, gets much worse as it matures and an animal that needs a raw meat/carcass diet and a large fenced in enclosure. People have been badly mauled, even killed in some instances.

*Even they have some issues in some countries with spurious breeding. Plus the european/carpathian wolf is smaller and apparently much more tractable and less aggressive in captivity(NOT as a pet) than the American variety.

** a mate of mine in the US worked with wild wolves as part of his doctorate and helped out in rescue centres so had a fascinating insight into this kinda thing

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Personally, I always had large dogs growing up (GSD cross and Retrievers) but because of a space issue (not in the country anymore!) a smaller dog was a better fit for our house.
    However, I didnt want a delicate dog such as a toy breed, I also wanted something sturdier than most terriers. But the biggest consideration was temprement and how I felt about a particular dog.
    I met a wonderful Staffie cross in a rescue and the rest is history! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Being 6'5" and close to 300lb I would have felt slightly odd walking a toy breed so when I finally could home a dog I went for a 'large' cross (35-40kg @ 10 months). Wifey is smaller and appreciates delicacy and refinement so she got herself a Dalmatian bitch. Have to say though that if I get another dog I'd look at Staffies - every one we've encountered has been extraordinary (in a positive sense), a study in enthusiasm, eagerness, positive temperament, etc. I'm unsure however how welcome that positivity and lust for life would be the morning after a session - our current pair know which mornings to step softly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

For me it depends on the breed not the size of the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have had small terrier size up to a very large boxer x lab, and lived with a partners Rottie mastiff cross for a while once, I don't really have a preference size wise, I like a good happy friendly dog, no matter what size.
    I would like an Irish wolfhound but I don't think I could manage it, I currently have a medium and a small dog, they fit the house nicely, and are the right size for walking, training, bathing, lifting into the car (smaller one:rolleyes:), and don't take up too much sofa space. (and costs are ok for the two I have)
    I'd love more, but I wouldn't stop at 3, and then the cats would be jealous so I'd have to get more cats (according to my daughter), and then I'd run out of hands and feet to rub them:D

Advertisement