Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Agents - repairs

Options
  • 03-12-2011 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey! A quick question about the performance of your management agents with regard to repairs.

I recently had a problem with the storage heating and i rang the management agent hoping to get it sorted. I would have thought that they would get it sorted for me but they didnt even have the number of a guy that could. So I got a crowd to call out and sort it for around 80 quid. Would have thought the management agent would have had more of an input into the repair. Is this the norm? Do managment agents steer clear of any repairs that happen inside the apartment / house? Do any of your management agents have designated plumbers, electricians, locksmiths etc that they put you in touch with?

Maybe it depends on the level of service in the contract??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

nixermixer wrote: »
    Do managment agents steer clear of any repairs that happen inside the apartment / house?

In general, yes. The agent is contracted to look after the management company property only. Time spent looking after apartment problems is, in one sense, time not spent working for their employers (the management company). There's also the risk that if they recommend someone to an owner and they're not happy with the work, the owner with blame the agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

yeah, nothing to do with the management agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yep, what the previous posters said.
    The management agent would only be responsible for sorting it if it were an issue from the outside. For example my top floor flat recently had a leak through the roof. Management agent arranged for fixing the rood as well as putting an ti-fungal stuff in the hole and re-painting part of the ceiling as "my issue" (the hole/ potential mould) was caused by their responsibility (the roof).

A good management agent may have a list of plumbers/ electricians and such they usually use and can recommend as doing good work, but organising and paying is your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

silja wrote: »
    A good management agent may have a list of plumbers/ electricians and such they usually use and can recommend as doing good work, but organising and paying is your responsibility.

Many management agents also work as letting agents, so may have a list of such services. But, many wouldn't. Either way, they have no responsibility for having a list, nor arranging such work.

I'm afraid you're on your own there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

To you mean management agent or letting agent?

For me they are not the same thing at all. It all depends on the contract you have with them. To be honest we've found most of them very poor with regard to repairs. Finding it better to have a reliable handyman to take care of these kind of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement