Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Town- Share The Feeling (Christmas Video)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Ahem........Im tempted to say nice recovery,but i wont:D

If Balagan appears passionate in your opinion,then your own persistence in defending this video must also be noted;)
    I'm proud of the town I grew up in, that is the only motivation for my posts to this thread UF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

angel2o11 wrote: »
    and this forum is slatting them on ridiculous stuff such as racial equality etc. I won't be posting again.....
    wrong, 1 individual,who is right imo, pointed out that no other ethnic group is represented in the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Balagan, of course you are entitled to raise the issue here on the Clare forum or whatever other medium you feel is appropriate. However, I just thought that because you appear to be so passionate about this matter that you may want to raise it with the people involved in making the video.

Thank you. I might raise it directly with them but really I have faith that, given the reach of this forum in the town of Ennis and in Co. Clare, the busy and active groups involved in making the video will become aware of the points raised here by all posters, with all our varying degrees of passion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Can I say that while the idea of promoting the town is a fantastic idea the ad itself is very corny! It's very well shot but the mayor of Ennis getting a call from Santa, he comes to collect the presents etc...just found it a little bit childish personally.

I don't feel it's something a lot of people will take very seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Balagan wrote: »
    The video isn't exactly teeming with racial diversity, is it?

How do you know that the people in that video are not Polish,Romanian,Italian,French,South African etc. They do not speak to claim their origions within the video.

I think the title of a new Rubberbandits song about enlisting different cultures in their gang is very apt for this member as I feel that they depict exactly at what you are trying to get at Balagan. Stiring what is a video of Ennis business people and that is that. Any ennis business people were well entitled to attend if they so wished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I like the video. I think it was well done and it does make the town look very good.

If their idea was to create a video to promote Ennis, then they did a brilliant job. If they think this will have any effect on Christmas shopping, I think they will be in for a rude awakening.

This sort of thing is great to send to the states to drive in tourists, but I don't see people from Cork or Mayo driving here because they saw a video.

Anyone who lives here only has to look as far as the multiple threads here on pedestrianisation and the UDC to know locals won't be shopping here for a cadre of reasons. A well produced video won't fix that or the rent/rates (readin: prices) issue.

Carazy wrote: »
    Any ennis business people were well entitled to attend if they so wished.
    I think that hits the nail perfectly on the head for me. If it was open then the onus was on the individual to come along if they wanted.

I for one wouldn't like to see the ad peppered with people of African origin just for the sake of racial diversity. The token black man can be just as much a discrimination as having none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I have to say I love this video!
    Its about Christmas so its supposed to be kinda corny :rolleyes:
    It shows the town up beautifully IMHO

With over 8000 hits since Friday it seems to be getting well recieved by the majority who see it
    I, like MrsD am Ennis born & bred, I have a lot of expat friends on facebook living abroad in Australia, America, continental Europe, the UK and further afield and they ALL love it!

The shop owners who got involved in making of this video deserve credit for doing something rather than sitting back on their asses watching the recession killing their businessess

I can't understand how anyone can say it won't do any good
    The Court House looks fabulous, the shot down bank place to the COI church is gorgeous, the streets look clean and tidy...
    As for the "Racism" issue I don't see it
    Every business in town was invited to attend
    In the video I recognise Jimmy Brohan, Tony Honan, Mary O'Sullivan, Aoife Madden (and her mother who plays Mrs Claus), yer man from Tierney's bicycle shop, Ger Sweeney, the pint of Guinness from Brogan's pub, these are all business who have been in town donkey's years.
    They should be praised for getting involved
    Do we REALLY need a "token" non national to be politically correct?

Ennis has a big community of non nationals if they wanted to get involved they were more than welcome to do so, the fact that they didn't bother should say something should it not??

As for the poster who said they wouldn't shop in Ennis because of pedestrianisation, the UDC & the prices, by shopping local you can help to save local jobs

If an item is a €5 more expensive in Ennis than Limerick I'd rather buy it in Ennis
    Parking is free now up til 12 noon every day and with the lights switched on the Christmas atmosphere is really starting up

Back on topic.... :o
    I'm flabbergasted that people are taking this video so seriously, it was supposed to be a bit of craic to show off the town & remind people to shop local, as well as promote Ennis as "The Friendliest Town In Ireland"
    It is not an exercise in cultural diversity
    When I was a kid growing up, when Jimmy Brohan was in Parnell Street with his wares covering the path, and John Madden (RIP) was setting up his shop on new road, cultural diversity was non existant in town, this video, with these shopkeepers harks back to that time, can we not take it as it is instead of dissecting it and thereby taking the pleasure out of it for some of us??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Totally agree with Angelfire 9's comment above. Been watching some of the negative comments on this thread since I seen it last night and I think its a sad reflection on society that when a group of local businesses get together to make a video to promote your town, the first thing that pops into some people head is to pick holes in it. The comments about the video not showing racial diversity are complete nonsense, as was mentioned earlier the invitation was open to any business in town that wanted to partake and the fact that people of other race didn't partake is hardly the organizers fault, they can't force people into taking part.

And as far as people saying it was childish and wouldn't be taken seriously, I hate to break it to ye but the whole Santa thing is a childish notion and most of us came to the realization that he was a figment of our imagination many years ago. I'm pretty sure the video wasn't supposed to be taken that seriously in the first place.

It's a great video that really shows the town we live in in a great light. Its good to see businesses getting together and making the effort to do something positive for the town. I'm sure if it was up to half the people on here who have been whinging about it we would all have curled up and died a long time ago. They got together and chipped in their own money to make the video and all some folks can do is say how it was poorly made etc. Maybe next year we can get Michael Bay to produce it and throw in a few explosions and such. We can have a collection at the Height to pay for it, I think he has some time free between the next two Transformers movies.

I'm aware people are entitled to their opinions, but whinging for the sake of it??? Come out of the fog !!!!

That people are whinging for the sake of it is a matter of presumtion. This video represents every Ennis citizen and their opinion is just as important as yours. Have some respect in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

MyKeyG wrote: »
    That people are whinging for the sake of it is a matter of presumtion. This video represents every Ennis citizen and their opinion is just as important as yours. Have some respect in fairness!

I do have respect, and I'm most definitely not saying my opinion is more important that others. I'm just pointing out that it's a sad day when people make an effort to do something for the town and all some people can do is look for some excuse to cut it down. The racial diversity comments are way off the mark in my opinion. All I'm saying is that it's a good project done by people who are trying to better their town, and as far as I'm concerned that can only be a good thing, regardless of racial diversity or production value. But that's just my opinion !

skerry wrote: »
    I do have respect, and I'm most definitely not saying my opinion is more important that others. I'm just pointing out that it's a sad day when people make an effort to do something for the town and all some people can do is look for some excuse to cut it down. The racial diversity comments are way off the mark in my opinion. All I'm saying is that it's a good project done by people who are trying to better their town, and as far as I'm concerned that can only be a good thing, regardless of racial diversity or production value. But that's just my opinion !
    Maybe so but the best intentions don't always result in the best projects. There are people who simply don't like the video, feel it misses the mark, doesn't reflect the true spirit of Ennis etc...and I'm one of them. Beautifully shot but that's where it ends for me. I don't believe those opinions make it a sad day by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Some of the comments here are just ridiculous. Ireland, the land of begrudgers and armchair critics indeed.

Fair play to those involved.

m83 wrote: »
    Some of the comments here are just ridiculous. Ireland, the land of begrudgers and armchair critics indeed.

Fair play to those involved.
    Ireland. The land of intolerance more like. Take off the Swastika FFS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Ireland. The land of intolerance more like. Take off the Swastika FFS!!!

Ah finally the debate degenerates to a level where Godwins law comes into play... well done MyKeyG :D

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Ah finally the debate degenerates to a level where Godwins law comes into play... well done MyKeyG :D
    I pay little attention to nonsense theories. The accusation of Godwins law is the rambling of someone desperate for a rebuttal yet unable to find one.;)

In any event it doesn't make the people on this thread who refuse to allow others to have an opinion without condemnation any less intolerant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ireland, the land of begrudgers and armchair critics indeed.

I wish I could add that phrase (and all the others like it) to some sort of filter. It's such a cop-out response to anything vaguely negative.

Being critical of something doesn't make someone a begrudger by default, and being Irish has nothing to do with it at all. Different people have different tastes. Some like it, some don't. Trying to tar everyone who points out a problem with one snobby brush is a really cheap tactic.

I haven't even watched the video, by the way. I'm getting enough entertainment watching posters here reverting to clichéd put-downs, rather than challenging the critics with mature, reasoned responses.

I wish I could add that phrase (and all the others like it) to some sort of filter. It's such a cop-out response to anything vaguely negative.

Being critical of something doesn't make someone a begrudger by default, and being Irish has nothing to do with it at all. Different people have different tastes. Some like it, some don't. Trying to tar everyone who points out a problem with one snobby brush is a really cheap tactic.

I haven't even watched the video, by the way. I'm getting enough entertainment watching posters here reverting to clichéd put-downs, rather than challenging the critics with mature, reasoned responses.

Being critical and being a begrudger aren't mutually exclusive either. I've lived in several different countries and have never met more begrudgers than here in Ireland. That shouldn't be news to you though, it's pretty much common knowledge I would have thought.

Pretty cheap of you to weigh in too by the way without having seen the video. Watch it then contribute some constructive please.

Being critical and being a begrudger aren't mutually exclusive either. I've lived in several different countries and have never met more begrudgers than here in Ireland. That shouldn't be news to you though, it's pretty much common knowledge I would have thought.

Pretty cheap of you to weigh in too by the way without having seen the video. Watch it then contribute some constructive please.
    Whatever you seem to think about your own race why do you think it applies here? People are voicing their opinions and getting run down. It has nothing to do with begrudgery. In fact the mere accusation doesn't even make sense, how are we begrudging exactly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

As you wish. This post from earlier in the thread sums up most of what I feel about the video.
    Can I say that while the idea of promoting the town is a fantastic idea the ad itself is very corny! It's very well shot but the mayor of Ennis getting a call from Santa, he comes to collect the presents etc...just found it a little bit childish personally.

I don't feel it's something a lot of people will take very seriously.

It's "lovely" for the kids and the grandparents, and the images of the town are fantastic, but it's not very well acted. The mayor only says a line or two and even still he doesn't sound convincing. And could they not have found one man in all of Ennis with a real beard to play Santa?

I know they weren't hoping for Academy Awards, but there are some little flaws in the video. If it was part of a series of 2 or 3 aimed at different audiences then it would be a great piece in the puzzle, but on its own it's far from perfect. Even if it is jolly and romantic.
    have never met more begrudgers than here in Ireland. That shouldn't be news to you though, it's pretty much common knowledge I would have thought.

That is, like I said, not "common knowledge", but a cop-out and a jaded stereotype.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's like going to Santa's Grotto and complaining it's just a cheap cardboard shack with fake snow and that Santa is just some bozo with a fake beard.
    You won't say that to your kid, will you?
    I'll take it for what it is, to me it's a video Xmas card and most Xmas cards are pretty lousy, but is anyone going to ring their Gran and tell her, her card sucked?
    I say Down With Bah-Humbugery!
    It won't win any Oscars and it's like something out of The Simpsons, but that amkes it even more endearing to me.
    If it was a slick, multi-million Euro production, people would be up in arms about "wasting money", etc...

It's like going to Santa's Grotto and complaining it's just a cheap cardboard shack with fake snow and that Santa is just some bozo with a fake beard.
    You won't say that to your kid, will you?
    I'll take it for what it is, to me it's a video Xmas card and most Xmas cards are pretty lousy, but is anyone going to ring their Gran and tell her, her card sucked?
    I say Down With Bah-Humbugery!
    It won't win any Oscars and it's like something out of The Simpsons, but that amkes it even more endearing to me.
    If it was a slick, multi-million Euro production, people would be up in arms about "wasting money", etc...

Finally someone gets it!

Nobody used the word 'sucked' nor was their criticism of the thread in any way nearly so acrid. If you wish to post a valid counter argument at least have the good grace to contradict what people actually said.

Seems like people on this thread see what they want to in others posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

lets bring this thread back to what all threads on Ennis end up being about.... pedestrianisation....and judging by this Video even Santa prefers when the streets are car free:D

It is always true, I suppose that all of us see only what we want to see.

I see a huge opportunity lost for Ennis to have been shown as it is, a town with rich racial diversity.

I would have assumed that the Ennis Chamber of Commerce in particular would have, over the years as Ennis became so racially diverse, been briefed on the need for inclusion and would have moved to ensure that this took place in all of its endeavours.

It may well be that all businesses and their staff in Ennis were invited to take part in the video but even if had only been those business owners who were already members of the Chamber of Commerce and the Ennis Development Forum, both organizations should have realised the necessity to go out of their way to ensure that the video included at least a few people from other races who live in Ennis. In every country, it is up to the majority to be responsible to ensure that there is racial inclusion. Some posters have mentioned that people could not be forced to take part but wouldn’t it have been possible to invite them and even open explain to them the necessity to have at least a few there?

A poster felt that this video featured shop owners who harked back back to a time before there was any racial diversity in Ennis and that pointing up any misgivings about that was ‘taking the pleasure out of it for some of us.’

What pleasure do you think people of other races living in Ennis will take in this video which celebrates the time before they came? What will their children think of the portrayal of a Christmas story and a Santa story in particular without anyone in the video having their facial features or colour? It will not be any comfort to them to be told that this video was made for the sole purpose of helping privately owned businesses in the town to survive and their parents didn’t have a business or were not affiliated to the organizations involved or somehow, for whatever reason, did not get involved. It is not a matter of struggling to find a token (what an unpleasant term) few. Surely every shop in Ennis has customers of differing races and it would have been the easiest thing to invite them?

During these past years since the recession started and into the foreseeable future while it lasts, our people are leaving this country to work abroad. I hope they find a welcome and are included, especially if they find themselves in a place where their race and colour differs from the majority. I hope people go out of their way to include them and all they have to give.

Economic concerns are certainly important. But they aren’t all-important.

Balagan wrote: »
    It is always true, I suppose that all of us see only what we want to see.

I see a huge opportunity lost for Ennis to have been shown as it is, a town with rich racial diversity.

I would have assumed that the Ennis Chamber of Commerce in particular would have, over the years as Ennis became so racially diverse, been briefed on the need for inclusion and would have moved to ensure that this took place in all of its endeavours.

It may well be that all businesses and their staff in Ennis were invited to take part in the video but even if had only been those business owners who were already members of the Chamber of Commerce and the Ennis Development Forum, both organizations should have realised the necessity to go out of their way to ensure that the video included at least a few people from other races who live in Ennis. In every country, it is up to the majority to be responsible to ensure that there is racial inclusion. Some posters have mentioned that people could not be forced to take part but wouldn’t it have been possible to invite them and even open explain to them the necessity to have at least a few there?

A poster felt that this video featured shop owners who harked back back to a time before there was any racial diversity in Ennis and that pointing up any misgivings about that was ‘taking the pleasure out of it for some of us.’

What pleasure do you think people of other races living in Ennis will take in this video which celebrates the time before they came? What will their children think of the portrayal of a Christmas story and a Santa story in particular without anyone in the video having their facial features or colour? It will not be any comfort to them to be told that this video was made for the sole purpose of helping privately owned businesses in the town to survive and their parents didn’t have a business or were not affiliated to the organizations involved or somehow, for whatever reason, did not get involved. It is not a matter of struggling to find a token (what an unpleasant term) few. Surely every shop in Ennis has customers of differing races and it would have been the easiest thing to invite them?

During these past years since the recession started and into the foreseeable future while it lasts, our people are leaving this country to work abroad. I hope they find a welcome and are included, especially if they find themselves in a place where their race and colour differs from the majority. I hope people go out of their way to include them and all they have to give.

Economic concerns are certainly important. But they aren’t all-important.
    If we accept your argument, why stop at racial diversity, you could arge that members of the travelling community and people with special needs should have been represented also. (Having said that it is impossible to determine from looking at the video whether these groups were included or not, in the case of special needs, disability is not always confined to the physical). The same can also be said for other groups. Someones nationality is not always apparent from their appearance.

This video was not created by "Inclusion Ireland". Its brief was to invite people to shop local. The Chamber and Ennis Development Forum invited business owners and employees to participate, had they refused to allow an ethnic group to participate in the video, you certainly would have a strong case, but that has not happened in this incidence.

There may be members of the travelling community or different nationalities included or people with disabilities. There doesn't appear to be any racial diversity in the video. I would not for one minute assume that anyone was excluded on purpose. Rather, this is a failure to include.

Obviously, for many people posting here, that lack of racial diversity in the video is not a matter that concerns them and they do not see it as detracting, in any way, from the video. They are entitled to their opinion.

If people are invited to participate and they chose for whatever reason not to get involved, that is not the fault of the Chamber or Ennis Development Forum.

We could dissect this video further but where would it end? Do we remove all references to "Christmas" and replace it with "Holidays" so that we do not offend people who are not of the Christian faith? Do we remove Santa because some parents feel that it is wrong for their children to believe in an imaginary figure?

MrsD007 wrote: »
    If people are invited to participate and they chose for whatever reason not to get involved, that is not the fault of the Chamber or Ennis Development Forum.

We could dissect this video further but where would it end? Do we remove all references to "Christmas" and replace it with "Holidays" so that we do not offend people who are not of the Christian faith? Do we remove Santa because some parents feel that it is wrong for their children to believe in an imaginary figure?

Who knows where any discussion will end? In my experience, though, not knowing where it will end is certainly not a reason to avoid starting it if there are issues which genuinely concern you.

• Advertisement

Opinions may be divided on this video but I'm sure that those involved in creating it are delighted that people are at least talking about it !!!

To quote the great Oscar Wilde - “The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.” ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement