Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N performance when mixes with G

Options
  • 03-12-2011 4:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of throughput will I get on an N PCI card* talking to an N router (Billion BiPAC 7800N) running in mixed mode?

Can't turn off mixed as everything else in the house is G.

* Don't know what yet, but I have one of the following available:

Slot 1: PCI-Express Gen 2 x16 connector with x16 link
    Slot 2: PCI-Express Gen 2 x1 connector with x1 Link
    Slot 2-2: PCI-Express x4 slot for optional management card

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's a "suck it and see" situation, nobody can predict that. Wireless can suffer from interference depending on what's going on around your surroundings. The speeds they quote on the product packaging are very optimistic, maybe in a lab under perfect conditions, but in real life throughput is about half they advertise. Unless it's dual band "g" devices will slow it to "g" speeds when they are connected and passing traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Unless it's dual band "g" devices will slow it to "g" speeds when they are connected and passing traffic.

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks.

Advertisement