Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Mince Pies and Christmas pudding in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-12-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some vegan mince pies or christmas pudding? I've recently become vegan and need my mince pie fix this Christmas!

I know so far that blazing salads have some but I reckon they're going to be very expensive. I've heard of some supermarket value brand's mince pies being vegan.

I reckon I might just end up making some when I have time though! So, as far as jars of minced meat, vegan options?

Thanks for any help! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Cornucopia normally does a take-away Christmas menu every year. Just pop into them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Minced meat is actually easy enough to make!

Find a generic recipe online (this one looks good - http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html ) and instead of suet (or even veggie suet) you can actually use any vegan spread. I've used Pure sunflower spread and Flora before, turned out great! Although, I've never tried *storing* it for longer than about a week or two, so, dunno there.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Mr Kipling mini mince pies are vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hannahmag

Thanks for the replys!

I have so far found that Spar's mincepies are vegan and Dunnes Mince pies are as well. Dunnes also do a small Christmas vegan pudding.

Must try Mr Kipling's ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Indeed, Dunnes mince pies are vegan and cheap. Just ate two :) I haven't been looking at puddings yet. I've seen the mince pies in Balzing Salads too.

The Meridian Mmincemeat (in health food stores) is vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Tesco value mince pies and Lidl Christmas pudding - sorted! Actually I think Lidl mince pies were vegan last year too but have not checked this year yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats the concern about the pies? Is it suet or shortening.
    I'd imagien that most mass produces ones would use a vegetable fat

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ "all butter" versions hence the cheapo ones being suitable and the posh ones not!

Just to note: Cafe Fresh do their own mincemeat too :)

Just wanted to add SuperValu to the list. Their Deep Fill Mince Pies are vegan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Anyone know where I can get ordinary or luxury Mr Kipling Mince Pies this year?

I can't find any in Tesco (in either Naas stores) or Dunnes in Dublin City Centre. I've seen the ones with custard - yuck but not the standard ones. I am not even sure if they still make them.

Advertisement