Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold Pictures-should we be worried about this stuff??

• 03-12-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hey, im living in this rented accomodation 3 months now, was a bit of this mold on the bathroom ceiling moving in but was cleaned. Now its back, im sure it has something to do with no vent in the bathroom and steam from showers as it seems the obvious answer.

Thing is, i leave windows open after shower etc but in the morning the bathroom is still all wet around windows and tiles.

im going to follow online tips for cleaning mould but would like to know, if you can judge off the attached pictures, if this could be a dangerous mold. I dont want to be up cleaning this and end up sick after it.

Any advice would be good.

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

hopefully its not bad !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mould can cause respiratory and other related health problems - ultimately no-one should have to live with mould, it is generally due to:
    1. lack of ventilation
    2. lack of insulation or thermal bridging
    3. too much moisture and one or both of the above
    4. or some of the above and a lack of appropriate heating (landlords always use this one!)
    but were not renowned for dealing with the causes in Ireland, as we have the 'ah sure its grand' attitude. decide whether you can put up with this ie cleaning regularly and open windows as you have been. otherwise contact Threshold &/or prepare to move out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

thanks for the reply, bought mold cleaner today and will pain over with damp block afterwards and see how it goes for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

Painting will not solve the problem on a permanent basis. As BryanF has said you have to balance ventilation, insulation and heating. Once dew point is reached you will get condensation, paint or no paint. The dew point is when you have relative humidity of 100%. This changes with temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jenggg

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I hope someone can be of help!

I bought a 1970 house 9 months ago. Since pretty much the very beginning I have runny, congested nose. When I moved in I replaced the old built in wardrobes with new ones. Behind these wardrobes was the vent and the wall had a lot of mildew around the vent. I washed it off with mildew cleaner and painted over it with damp paint. This mildew was also on a wall in the hot press and today discovered it on the back of a blind in the landing. I'm assuming this could be causing the health problems. The engineer's report pointed out that the ventilation in the house was bad.

I am happy to pay the professionals to sort this issue out but just wondering if anyone else has had experience of this and can recommend anyone? Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jenggg wrote: »
    I bought a 1970 house 9 months ago. Since pretty much the very beginning I have runny, congested nose. When I moved in I replaced the old built in wardrobes with new ones.
    1. Behind these wardrobes was the vent and the wall had a lot of mildew around the vent.
    2. I washed it off with mildew cleaner and painted over it with damp paint. This mildew was also on a wall in the hot press and today discovered it on the back of a blind in the landing.
    3. I'm assuming this could be causing the health problems.
    4. The engineer's report pointed out that the ventilation in the house was bad.
    5. I am happy to pay the professionals to sort this issue out but just wondering if anyone else has had experience of this and can recommend anyone? Thanks in advance!

hi Jen allow me to highlight the first of probably several issues that are not helping your situation
    1. this vent location + the cold surface temp of the wall is not helping things
    2. these paints are only useful in bathroom situations and only work where adequate ventilation/air movement is taking place
    3. very possibly.. without trying to be a scaremonger, poor air quality can effect the respiratory system, immune system, increase your exposure to carcinogens, effect the skin and nervous systems... the list goes on
    4. well there you go, start here by leaving the windows open in effected areas.. but there is along list of considerations and often a few different issues to address
    5. PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

jenggg wrote: »

I bought a 1970 house 9 months ago. Since pretty much the very beginning I have runny, congested nose. When I moved in I replaced the old built in wardrobes with new ones. Behind these wardrobes was the vent and the wall had a lot of mildew around the vent. I washed it off with mildew cleaner and painted over it with damp paint. This mildew was also on a wall in the hot press and today discovered it on the back of a blind in the landing. I'm assuming this could be causing the health problems. The engineer's report pointed out that the ventilation in the house was bad.

I am happy to pay the professionals to sort this issue out but just wondering if anyone else has had experience of this and can recommend anyone? Thanks in advance!

Appropriate ventilation, heating, insulation and airtightness all have a role to play in a comfortable and healthy home. Depending on your particular house it may or may not be relatively easy to sort out. Rarely is there a silver bullit and there may well be several actions/improvements required.
    PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Just thought I'd share a few pic's of 'some mould' I had in a rented house a few years ago........it was all over the place!

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2234.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

You need to have good insulation, make the house as airtight as possible and ventilate well and balance this with heat. If the landlord does not help in some or all of these then I would move on if I were you.

Has the landlord given you a BER cert. He should have. It is the law. This will give you some idea of the heating costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

AMG86 wrote: »
    Has the landlord given you a BER cert. He should have. It is the law. This will give you some idea of the heating costs.

No it wont. It cant. Way too many assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

earpiece wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share a few pic's of 'some mould' I had in a rented house a few years ago........it was all over the place!

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2234.jpg

Ugh!!! That has to be one of the worst I've seen, cant believe its on the door frame...Serious stuff that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I thought a few black spots were bad. That is amazingly disgusting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

earpiece wrote: »

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2234.jpg

Looks like dry rot on the frame but the mould in the vent is serious that's what you get seriously sick from

Advertisement