Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Skimmed

Options
  • 03-12-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Well folks, my ATM card was skimmed, account wiped out. I always cover the keypad when entering the PIN.
    be careful out there...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

Max Powers wrote: »
    Well folks, my ATM card was skimmed, account wiped out. I always cover the keypad when entering the PIN.
    be careful out there...

Really sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Do you have any idea where the skimming happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Max Powers wrote: »
    be careful out there...

What machine did you use

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Crazy, do you have any chance of the bank sorting it out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ziedth wrote: »
    Crazy, do you have any chance of the bank sorting it out for you?

I think you can get it sorted a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

my bank was able to tell me i used my card in an atm that cars were skimmed they cancelled the card and sent me new one luckily nothing was taken but your bank should cover this for ya as technically the machine and security of it is there responsability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

If it was a normal debit or atm card, do the fraudsters not need your PIN to take any money out of your account? Or was it a credit card you were using OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Happened me aswell 2 weeks ago. There were 2 transactions from a crowd called Eirshop for €40 each time, 2 days in a row. I didn't have a clue what it was so I went to the bank to query it. They looked into it and said it looked like the card was scammed and whoever got the details used them to get Vodafone credit. Eirshop is apparantly a crowd Vodafone use. Luckily for me it was near the end of the month and I only had bout sixty yoyos left in the account. Another few days and they could of had me full months wages. Got the money back off the back after a few days and they cancelled the card and gave me a new one. It was a laser card I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Some fukers out there to do that to someone!! :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

dont know where it was skimmed i dont know for sure as i used a good few ATMs over last week or 2 from a variety of different banks. Wouldnt be fair to blame one now, even though i have my suspicion.
    A friend who works in a bank had a look at the transactions on line and could tell that there was foreign transactions from from foreign ATMs as well as buying stuff on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

i was useing the ATM in michael street yesterday and there was a fella right behind me sholder trying to watch me, but before i put in me pin i turned around and told him to fcuk right off and mind his own buissness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i was useing the ATM in michael street yesterday and there was a fella right behind me sholder trying to watch me, but before i put in me pin i turned around and told him to fcuk right off and mind his own buissness.
    should have knocked the fooker out also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

We all have a hard enough time putting money IN THE BANK without some pr*ck skimming the card. If anyone suspects anything is bot right they should let the bank know straight away. Be some dose to have your account cleared out at this time of year in particular. 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Sorry about that. I was just trying to make new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Dan133269 wrote: »
    If it was a normal debit or atm card, do the fraudsters not need your PIN to take any money out of your account? Or was it a credit card you were using OP?

they get around using the pin by using the card details in emerging markets like Brazil/Turkey where credit card security is still lax and the PIN has not been fully implemented there.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

The real pros also have little electronic devices they insert into the card slot that reads your keystrokes so covering the keypad does fck all to stop them. The thieves have gotten very sophisticated over the years and are very good at this sheet now. OP you should get to your bank and raise a stink and you should get your money back. Here in the USA they reimburse for consumer fraud of that sort.

Another big place for the scam to originate is in restaurants where dodgy waiters have electronic skimmers that can grab your dat.a as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Best to use ATMs that are inside rather than outside - Centra St Johns Park, Ardkeen Stores, Superquinn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

mike65 wrote: »
    Best to use ATMs that are inside rather than outside - Centra St Johns Park, Ardkeen Stores, Superquinn etc.

they were able to get a skimmer on the one inside tesco poleberry only a few years ago,
    so nowheres safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Was it Max Powers??????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

chelloveks wrote: »
    The real pros also have little electronic devices they insert into the card slot that reads your keystrokes so covering the keypad does fck all to stop them. The thieves have gotten very sophisticated over the years and are very good at this sheet now. OP you should get to your bank and raise a stink and you should get your money back. Here in the USA they reimburse for consumer fraud of that sort.

Another big place for the scam to originate is in restaurants where dodgy waiters have electronic skimmers that can grab your dat.a as well.

Yes, it would be great if these Cnuts would put there innovation/skills and expertise into something enterprising for the good of everyone else. Its amazing how the banks IT security barriers are still constantly being broken down.

And for the future in Ireland I can't see it improving, the investment isn't there unfortunatly, new touchless card/payment technology is emerging constantly in emerging markets such as Turkey because of problems that exist already there, and now they are investing heavily in improving safety there to improve reputations going forward http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1118/1224307762348.html

Its very worrying going forward that ATMs are still a constant source of attack, like it holds your wealth, and they are under attack and its not unusal that ppl are getting scammed

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Online banking is great if you want to avoid this. i transfer most cash out of my account into a seperate online only account on payday leaving a nominal amount and transfer into that current account as i need it. if i do get skimmed or mugged at an atm the most they could get is 100 bucks.

padraig.od wrote: »
    Online banking is great if you want to avoid this. i transfer most cash out of my account into a seperate online only account on payday leaving a nominal amount and transfer into that current account as i need it. if i do get skimmed or mugged at an atm the most they could get is 100 bucks.

Genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

padraig.od wrote: »

I do the exact same thing and only transfer money from my "Savings" account to my "Current" account when I need it. Good way of saving the dosh aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Couldnt someone get yoiur passwords,hack into your online account, and transfer money all over the place in that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Happened a couple of years ago just after OH got redundancy payment! When i couldn't withdraw money I checked in the bank and they said everything was ok! A couple of days later, I went online to move money and discovered that there were ATM withdrawals every day from Columbia! Nearly 10,000 disappeared as they were taking €600 a day!

What was infuriating was even when I went down to the bank and they blocked the card there was another €3k taken from the account!

Also at the exact same time as I was using my card in Harvey Norman Waterford, the same card was being used in an ATM in Columbia! And the bank said there was no way for this to be flagged!

The other issue was the card was only six months old after the bank replaced it following info from the gardai that the card was on a list of potentially cloned cards.

The bank eventually refunded the money but it was some shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

scout353 wrote: »
    Happened a couple of years ago just after OH got redundancy payment! When i couldn't withdraw money I checked in the bank and they said everything was ok! A couple of days later, I went online to move money and discovered that there were ATM withdrawals every day from Columbia! Nearly 10,000 disappeared as they were taking €600 a day!

What was infuriating was even when I went down to the bank and they blocked the card there was another €3k taken from the account!

Also at the exact same time as I was using my card in Harvey Norman Waterford, the same card was being used in an ATM in Columbia! And the bank said there was no way for this to be flagged!

The other issue was the card was only six months old after the bank replaced it following info from the gardai that the card was on a list of potentially cloned cards.

The bank eventually refunded the money but it was some shock!

Fuk!! :eek:

Take it from someone who has worked in credit cards for over twenty years...the bad guys are getting very good at these crimes. A famous bank robber over here from the old days, Willie Sutton, answered the question of why he robbed banks by saying "that's where the money is!" it's still true and ATMs and pins make it easy to rob the banks!

Financial operators should offer an implemention of a 2 step verification similar to gmail, using the GPS of a smart phone, where the transaction at the ATM should match the GPS co-ordinates of the Phone. Or SMS verification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

They could also improve their customer service training. Even a simple thing like in my situation - When I went into the branch to check the account and the guy said -" Someone seems to be enjoying their holiday in Columbia" I could have copped there was something wrong. Or even to ask if there was a member of my family in South America as there are some transactions on the card from there!

I remember a few years ago getting a call from credit card company as I had used the card in London to buy a Tube ticket - they were on within 10 mins!

And I cannot understand that the system doesn't flag the same card being used at the exact same time on opposite sides of the world! Even on a back up run or system check because of the time difference.

The bank told me there was no way to trace it as it is too much trouble for so little money which is easy to say from their part but all those €10k's add up!

Advertisement